Unsolicited advise:

Our albeit unsolicited, advise to first time cruisers:

Please do not be discouraged by some of the less than perfect cruise reviews.

When we first started cruising, there was no internet, there was no Cruise Critic and we didn't know what to expect and yet, we still fondly remember our very first cruise.

Allow us to assure you, your first cruise will always remain your most memorable cruise.

In short, your very first cruise may very well exceed your expectations.

Ship Ahoy!

:D:D :D:D

I just returned from my first cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. I had read many negative things about the state of the ship. From what I read, the interior staterooms would be airless, lightless caves of despair. I read that the crew were rude and the food was bad.

I found all of this to be over exaggerations of someone else's over pickiness. Yes, there was a little rust on the outside of the ship but she was beautiful anyway. Who doesn't have blemishes? The interior cabin we had was delightfully filled with AC and so much light came from under the door, we closed the curtains at the end of our beds to block it out. The crew was very kind and accommodating. And the food was great.

We all only get one chance to experience something for the first time. It's fleeting, so enjoy it.

However, there are some things I was glad I read about before we went. Like doing Chop's on Embarkation Day for lunch. We were the only ones there and it was a lovely start to our First Cruise.

Yes! I think that with any vacation, it is what you make of it. Don't let little (or sometimes not so little) issues get in the way of enjoying yourself. A few times I found myself humming along to Frozen's "Let it Go" in my head on one of our previous cruises, but I found if I didn't dwell on something that didn't end up the way I was expecting, it was easier to enjoy myself and relax!

My first cruise was in 1993 on the Carnival Fantasy. No internet at that time, so we went in the blind. Wasn't my favorite cruise by a long shot, and wasn't crazy about the ship, but still had a good time. It was a 3 day cruise, and, of course, we tried to do everything, which doesn't work. I've been on 14 cruises with 4 booked, and loved every one of them. I put very little in some of the negatives threads on CC, because most of them are looking for perfection, which doesn't exist. Just go with a positive attitude, and I can almost guarantee you'll be back for more.

We went on our 1st cruise for our honeymoon in 1983. It was awesome! I have seen a picture of that ship recently online (NCL MS Southward) it looked like a tugboat. We thought it was huge (it held 750 passengers). It was an awesome time!! We have gone on 21 cruises and have gone with many 1st timers.

Always love seeing their reactions. We have NEVER had a bad cruise. As in life it is what you make of it.

Lol. I slept through our first cruise. Wedding night created a rapidly dividing group of cells that, a week later as we boarded our honeymoon cruise, was causing me to pass OUT by 8 every night. I barely remember the waking hours, either.

So, maybe not. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our albeit unsolicited, advise to first time cruisers:

When we first started cruising, there was no internet, there was no Cruise Critic and we didn't know what to expect and yet, we still fondly remember our very first cruise.

Allow us to assure you, your first cruise will always remain your most memorable cruise.

In short, your very first cruise may very well exceed your expectations.

Ship Ahoy!

:D:D :D:D

Very well said. I agree 100% with your post.0f7d4d4fe7f59d59ce27d0da2c23198e.jpg

We have very fond memories of our first cruise on RCCL’s Nordic Prince back in August of 1990. We also have great memories of out last cruise and all of the other ones between our first and last cruise. Never have had a bad cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The majority of threads here will have negative comments in them. I remember last year reading terrible things about Freedom. Even after several cruises i started to get sucked in. I started to think this cruise was going to be terrible. The New menu was going to be horrible, the beds as hard as a rock, the staff would be rude, the ship was in sad shape, pizza tastes like cardboard, the ship was over crowded....... It actually turned out to be our best cruise ever! I’m not paying attention to all the negative stuff on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I enjoy reading reviews and pick up a lot of useful tips and hints. I don't pay too much attention to subjective comments as we all have different tastes and interests.

It is interesting when I read a review of a cruise which I had been on as well. I often agree with some observations and not others.

BTW I have been on the odd bad cruise, experienced bad service, had bad food. It worries me when some say they have never experienced these. I would say they are one offs and it has not put me off cruising.

In my experiences I have determined that, generally, two types of people write reviews/evaluations. Those that had a really wonderful experience and those that had the worst time of their lives. I read reviews from both sides of the spectrum and make up my own mind.

I try, emphasis on try, to write an unbiased review when I do, but I tend to be the guy that always has a great time even in 15 foot, hurricane fueled seas.

Our first cruise is on 12/10. When we booked last year we weren’t phased by poor reviews. No matter the site, my perception of online reviews is that 90% are totally useless. The authors of the 90% are usually a person that had some unrealistic expectation of service/quality/value or is just a person that can never be pleased. You have to be critical with every review you read - even the ‘amazing’ ones as sometimes they’re a bit inflated. Case in point, go read some of the 5 star reviews for toilet paper on Amazon. They’re ridiculous. The real reviews are usually 4 or 3 stars. Every now and again a 1 or 2 star review seems accurate amongst the hyperbole.

Let’s leave on a happy note... cruising in 13 days! Wahoo!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discount those that are from first-time cruisers who love everything (we did and that's why we keep coming back) and, on the other end, those that cannot find anything positive to say. We haven't had a bad one although some were better than others. No surprise there!

I tend to take notice when I see trends in reviews for a ship or a cruise line. For instance, we had booked an Oceania cruise for April, 2018 (new for us) and I need to have solid Internet on a regular basis due to work. But, I saw a good deal of threads that says that their Internet service is less than stellar. That is good information and while negative, it was voiced by quite a few on their board. That type of criticism is useful.

Our first cruise was on Grandeur in 1998. I love ships and the ocean. My wife, fearing seasickness, decided we'd try a cruise as our youngest was graduating from high school. That was 33 cruises ago, 25 with RCI. Guess we liked it.

So, has it ever been "bad?" NO. Less than great? YES. But the worst day on any of our cruises was still better than not being on a cruise. We've experienced so-so service, just ok food, rough weather with crazy rocking and rolling, 85 mph winds, rain, etc. But it was still "just fine." So, advice? Easy. READ BETWEEN THE LINES. Early on (our 3rd cruise) we talked 4 close friends into giving it a try. Well, one friend is very judgmental and fussy. It was the first time I found Cruise Critic Reviews. Ship was Enchantment. I read a very bad review. Turns out, what they really hated about the cruise was the food. Apparently the 16 year old daughter could "find nothing to eat but hot dogs." So... I was worried. Turns out ONE OF THE BEST CRUISES EVER! And our friends? Well, we are all headed out again in Jan. Yup.... they love cruising too.

Negative reviews have their place. They help manage expectations. But read them with a "grain of salt." A very bad review because the cabin location was below the pool deck and they heard chair scraping is absurd. But it does point out one thing to learn... if you book a cabin below the pool deck, you'll likely hear chair scraping. Anyway, read the reviews with a fine eye and see what the negative comments really are. It's like scoring an Olympic skating event. Throw out the best and throw out the worst and read those in between.

Reviews are very helpful, but there are a few guidelines to consider:

1. A review with details and not unhelpful generalizations are the best.

2. I usually disregard first-time reviews if they LOVE everything.

3. I disregard reviews with terms like the food was inedible, the crew were all so unfriendly, etc.

4. I'm getting on the older side myself now, but some reviews written by people who need lots of extra assistance can be pretty negative. On a recent cruise, I witnessed a very feeble and elderly wheelchair user trying to get on a rather wild tender boat. He put the three crew members at risk of physical harm and had no able-bodied attendant with him (just his elderly wife). Many negative reviews seem to describe situations like this that are beyond the control and capabilities of the crew.