Canadian Residents - Word of Warning

We normally book direct with Royal Caribbean, but for this particular cruise, we transferred our reservation to the online travel agency primarily for theadditional perks that they offered such as pre-paid gratuities and specialty dining etc. We are Canadian and this travel agency is US based. (The importance of this will become apparent shortly!)

After we booked, we wanted to explore changing the cabin for our adult children to move from a 3 person cabin with an upper berth to one with the fold down sofa. Thiswould be much more comfortable for a nine day cruise.

When we checked on the Royal Caribbean website for the availability of a cabin for 3 with a fold down sofa, there was one available in an upgraded category. Because we are Canadian, the fares were displayed to us in Canadian funds.

The difference in cruise fare appeared to be about $80-90 (depending on theexchange rate) and we contacted our travel agent to see about changing cabins. Whenour travel agent attempted to upgrade the cabin, however the pricing she gotfor the new cabin was $449 additional cost.

I’ve escalated the issue to Crown and Anchor and to Michael Bayley’s office and the official answer is that although a lower rate may be available to Canadians (in Canadian currency), we cannot take advantage of it because we booked through a US travel agency.

We are extremely disappointed that we would have to pay an additional $350 for a cabin, simply because our travel agency is based in the US. We are Canadians,and if there is a lower price for Canadians, I don’t see why we cannot benefitfrom it. RCCL could simply offer a price adjustment to accommodate this situation, but refuse to do so.

So the bottom line, if you are Canadian and you book through a US travel agency, youwill not be able to benefit of special Canadian pricing!

It would go both ways, if there were a lower price in US, you would get it, since you booked through US travel agency. As Bob said, it goes by whatever currency it was booked under. Even though you booked with CDN, once it got moved to a US Travel agency, it would have been converted.

Can't you just cancel the cruise and rebook the new price?

Then the rate is not preferred for the passenger's residency, it's based on the travel agencies location. That was my argument to RCCL. Don't call it one thing, when it's actually another.

RCI assumes that you book in your home market, which is probably true 90+% of the time.

So, if after all the exchange rate and everything else is considered, if the AU rate or the UK rate is cheaper, you feel you should get it at those rates also?

No, I only think that if they say the rate is based on Canadian residency, then honour the rate for Canadian residents. The difference in rate for us is much greater than the exchange rate (despite how bad our exchange rate is in CAD vs USD!)

No, I only think that if they say the rate is based on Canadian residency, then honour the rate for Canadian residents. The difference in rate for us is much greater than the exchange rate (despite how bad our exchange rate is in CAD vs USD!)

You transferred to a US agency for the perks? No Canadian agency was offering them?

Then you have already benefitted by their rules. You want it both ways. (Unless I am misunderstanding something).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm Canadian as well and was sorry to learn about your experience :( This will teach me a lesson to only either book directly through Royal or with a Canadian travel agent. This reminds me that I actually have a $100 travel voucher that I need to redeem through my local Expedia CruiseShipCenters for a new cruise LOL.

Sorry for your bad experience. We always book with Royal in Canadian dollars...for the reason it being CAD. That way, we know our exact cost and are not on 'luck' of the exchange rate. Other items from the cruise planner are in CAD too (dining, drink packages, excursions, etc) , which is nice too.

There are perks for booking in the US (or with a US travel agent) and perks for booking in Canada. I can understand your frustration, but as others have said you benefited from this policy when you got perks through a US travel agent. It's the same with British travelers; they can choose to book through a US travel agent to get the better US booking/cancellation policies, but then no longer qualify for any discounts or perks on UK bookings.

It's the same thing when getting a price drop. If you got a great price a year ago, and now the price is higher but comes with OBC you don't get to just combine the two; you have to decide which promotion is better.

One other thing to consider, is the promo you are seeing in CAD for new bookings only? That is also fairly common, especially after final payment.