Can't add foster son to ship at capacity...

Tdawn11883

OP does your TA have any other clients booked on the same sailing? Is the lifeboat capacity reached for the entire ship or just your muster station? People report on here that they were asked to trade rooms to accommodate other guests, maybe RC could try something like this because of the extenuating circumstances. I think you just need to get hold of the right person (ie someone who has a heart) to try and get this sorted out.

They probably wouldn’t be able to book them with a stranger since it is a minor. And the lifeboat capacity situation would not be any different.

This is a non-issue. As long as the parents are there and they all check in together. On our very first cruise we invited a friend of the family, booked him a cabin two days before on a sold out cruise with the same situation (lifeboats). They had one room left. We had 6 in a family oceanview and moved one of our children (15 at the time) over to his room. Her prepaid ticket costs were applied to the cost of his room and he only had to pay the difference (ended up being around 430.00).

When we checked in we were all together and had no issues getting on the ship. She of course stayed in the cabin with us and he had his own room.

The only outlier would be if the system does not count a double occupancy as 2ppl if there is only one person on the ship who paid for two, regardless attrition is accounted for in regards to lifeboat capacity.

-Sean

Thats a genious idea!

the issue I see with that is the person who is supposed to be sharing this cabin will be assigned to that cabins muster station. It doesn't matter where the person sleeps. I know some people would not be in favour of their children not being in the same muster station.

the issue I see with that is the person who is supposed to be sharing this cabin will be assigned to that cabins muster station. It doesn't matter where the person sleeps. I know some people would not be in favour of their children not being in the same muster station.

I am certain for the OP that's a much smaller sacrifice then the price of the cruise....

And it could be an adult name on the single cruisers room... certainly doesn't have to be the minor.

-Sean

Our family booked Anthem of the Seas for a Dec. 2017 cruise LAST December of 2016. At the time it was myself, my husband and our son. This will be our 3rd cruise with Royal Caribbean, all three booked through [a travel agent]. In April our former foster son was placed back with us. It was "temporary" at the time. As we neared our November court date it was apparent that he would be placed with us permanently by the judge. I called RC to see if we could add him to our room. Yes, there was room for a 4th in our superior room with large balcony. I called RC immediately after we received documentation from the court that he would be with us until he is 18 (3 years), but now they are at capacity. There is no way that this young man, who is as much a part of our family as our bio son, is going to a respite home while we are on a cruise, during the holidays no less.

I called our travel agent and the lady didn't seem to give a hoot about our situation. She robotically stated that they were at capacity and there was nothing they could do. I couldn't even switch to another ship/sail date etc. I would lose everything we've paid for this current booking. I called RC and the lady was very nice but told me that the boat was at capacity and could not allow anymore 3/4 person rooms. The only way we could add him to our trip was if someone with a 3/4 person room cancelled. I could call back though and maybe something will open up...

We are 2 weeks away from travel and I have to make plans. We WILL NOT go on this trip without him. Even if we were to book a 2nd cruise during the holidays so he can come with us, what do we do with the already booked, and paid for, cruise?

Has anyone had any luck in a similar situation?

Check your travel insurance to see if it covers adoption type issues. You might be surprised. You could share the court order showing the adoption or guardianship date.

We are foster parents too and have cancelled many vacations because of this very issue. I’m happy that this child has permanency with you. I’ll be watching this thread and hoping it all works out for you. Much aloha for you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is one category with 2 cabins almost next to each other. One cabin in between. I'd try and book the 2 rooms with an adult in each and give up current cabin

Cat VB

9422 and 9426

Just found cat G has availability with 2 cabins together

8508 and 8510

I can find no website that shows available cabins. Where are you seeing this?

I didn't read all replies, so I apologize if someone already said this - but instead of just calling the 800 number also call the Crown and Anchor number (if you're members). They cannot put you on if it's at capacity either, but if you tell them about your foster child and ask if there is a way you could be at the top of a wait list or something... maybe? I don't know.

Good luck and I'm sorry :(

Judy

Another option is to email Adam Goldstein and his Executive Assistant may reply or he himself and will forward it to the proper department.

You can email Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com

Tell him in the nicest way that you want to have a fun vacation with the new additon to your family and leaving him in respite care would be hard and devastating for him.

I know that Cruise Critic generally does not like us naming people but this is a great resource that has helped me. Mr. Goldstein and his executive team have helped me in the past.

I am certain for the OP that's a much smaller sacrifice then the price of the cruise....

And it could be an adult name on the single cruisers room... certainly doesn't have to be the minor.

-Sean

Respite care would cost more than booking a single cabin? Are you flying to the cruise?

I don't understand this line of reasoning. If the ship is full what would this accomplish ?

Another option is to email Adam Goldstein and his Executive Assistant may reply or he himself and will forward it to the proper department.

Tell him in the nicest way that you want to have a fun vacation with the new additon to your family and leaving him in respite care would be hard and devastating for him.

I know that Cruise Critic generally does not like us naming people but this is a great resource that has helped me. Mr. Goldstein and his executive team have helped me in the past.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. If the ship is full what would this accomplish ?

Remember it can't hurt to e-mail the worst they can say is "no". What I am getting at is if there was an option that we here at Cruise Critic does not know, nor a Royal Caribbean Phone Agent or Resolutions Officer does not know then it may be presented to the OP.

Sometimes there are little known unadvertised options available that we laypeople don't know about.

I had the Executive Assistant contact the ship to take photos of my stateroom as there is a white space and they came back with the photos,

So by contacting the Executive Offices you may learn something new.

Maybe a Guest Entertainer cancelled or there are open Guest Entertianer cabins that are blocked and can be unblocked or some cabins that are blocked for emergencies or issues such as this and only the Executive Office knows about them and how to unblock and assign them.

OP please try reaching out to Mr.Goldsein and report back here of the upshot. You never know your Foster Son may be on the cruise sooner than you know it!

If they are going to reach out to the brass they might as well reach out to the right person.

Mbayley@rccl.com (Michael Bayley) is the president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International (RCI) while Adam Goldstein is now in charge of the parent company RCCL.

OP (Tdawn) :

the travel agent site shows the cruise as sold out but they are taking bookings for some cabins as "WaitListed". I would call RCI, ask for a supervisor (or, if that does not work ask for Resolutions), and explain the situation. see if they can waitlist you for one of the less expensive alternatives so you do have some hope...

Good Luck !!!

Steve

Ditto ditto ditto! Keep calling and moving up the chain of command. I have a feeling your family will be sailing...all of them:D

You're doing a good thing and it is though it isn't the cruise line's fault that it has interfered with your plans, it is certainly within their ability to bend the rules and somehow fix it so that you can re-book another date. (Especially if their is a wait list for cabins.) Perhaps the cruise line would like the GOOD publicity it could get from helping you out rather than the bad publicity from the current situation becoming public? If speaking with higher levels of management doesn't help, try contacting the local news. Most have an "On Your Side" or human interest spot. You're not trying to get special treatment, just fair treatment due to a special situation. In any business, allowances are sometimes made for extenuating circumstances if the right people are involved. You need to speak with someone in a position with enough authority to make the call.

You're doing a good thing and it is though it isn't the cruise line's fault that it has interfered with your plans, it is certainly within their ability to bend the rules and somehow fix it so that you can re-book another date. (Especially if their is a wait list for cabins.) Perhaps the cruise line would like the GOOD publicity it could get from helping you out rather than the bad publicity from the current situation becoming public? If speaking with higher levels of management doesn't help, try contacting the local news. Most have an "On Your Side" or human interest spot. You're not trying to get special treatment, just fair treatment due to a special situation. In any business, allowances are sometimes made for extenuating circumstances if the right people are involved. You need to speak with someone in a position with enough authority to make the call.

You don't seem to understand. Capacity is not dictated by the cruiseline. They are NOT at fault nor is it their responsibility to "fix" anything. I have the utmost sympathy for the OP but I think they are too intelligent to go calling the news or involving social media to make things look bad for the cruiseline that is not at all at fault. Hopefully one of the reasonable suggestions posted here will pan out.

You're not trying to get special treatment, .

Actually, that’s exactly what you are suggesting. None of the mainstream US cruise lines allow refunds for cancellations this close to sailing. None of them have ‘transfer your booking to a new sailing’ clause either. While it’s unfortunate timing for the OP, expecting either of these and hitting up the news to pressure royal is asking for special treatment.

Is the entire boat at capacity or is it just your section of the boat due to life rafts? Is there a possibility of separating into two cabins even if they’re on opposite sides of the ship with one adult in each room? Call back and ask if it’s just your section or the entire ship that’s at capacity.

After all is said and done you may get a free cruise for your inconvenience

HUH?! where on earth do you get THAT idea?! there is literally nothing that Royal can be held accountable here for. if the ship is full, its full and the OP is not entitled in any way shape or form to get an exception made for them. let alone a free cruise