Entertainment changes again

LOP

My reaction is mostly positive. The concerns about the live music around the ship appear to be mostly addressed (with the caveat that we'll have to see just what kind of trio is in place). With just one "live music unit" available, the appearances will likely be fewer but, hopefully, they will be versatile and provide multiple musical genres (I've always wanted to find a reason to use that word :')) to please most tastes.

We will be sailing on Quest in April and look forward to new shows for our TA. I would be surprised if the cruise directors don't keep their shows. They are all very talented (at least the three we've seen) so it would be a waste not to let them perform. But with all the other changes, perhaps they will update their shows as well. If they do, we will very probably be well pleased with the overall changes. We will definitely miss Sasha and Dimi.

Yes its not floating my boat as they say (well not yet) but in March I will experience it for real and will understand better what it is and maybe I will have a different view then. I too was ready for a change, Voices was different when it was first shown but never worked for me, unlike others Opera or good light opera might work. How about some Gilbert and Sullivan, that would be fun.

Bonnie, can you pick up on the gaps that Lottie asked about earlier - I am interested in how White Nights will run, will these guests supplement Eric/Russ/Tony or what will happen. Also as we no longer have the dancers and some of the singers how are the day to day activities being run particularly on cruises with a lot of sea days are we have coming up.

Thanks

White Nights will run as always, but with a new composition of staff and entertainers. The singers/dancers will be replaced by other positions such as our trio, singing ACD, etc. Our cast members will do activities as they have in the past...

White Nights will run as always, but with a new composition of staff and entertainers. The singers/dancers will be replaced by other positions such as our trio, singing ACD, etc. Our cast members will do activities as they have in the past...

Thanks a lot. By cast do you mean the people from the new shows? As I say looking forward to seeing it all. Just nervous having seen some changes to entertainment on Celebrity which were a real turn off so that clouds judgement/ dampens enthusiasm but let’s see it to tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be really interested to hear reports from those of you sailing on the next few cruises. We will keep an open mind but I must admit operetta does not do it for me!! Of course Azamara has never been known for their entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am reserving judgement until I see the new entertainment in June. The shows sound interesting...I love Opera and it all sounds a bit like the excellent shows on Silversea.

However I am still concerned about the live music in Spirits Bar. Who will be playing there?

I am reserving judgement until I see the new entertainment in June. The shows sound interesting...I love Opera and it all sounds a bit like the excellent shows on Silversea.

However I am still concerned about the live music in Spirits Bar. Who will be playing there?

No clue yet

Thought JR had the Opera company on this summer

Test run

I was bored but do like Opera but this was songs from operas not a mini opera

We will definitely miss Sasha and Dimi.

I will too Bob and the other ballroom dancers on Quest, Alexey and Alina. I think Azamara missed a trick here. They could really have developed them within the entertainment program. Very classy. I know Sasha and Dima wouldn’t want to be singled out amongst their entertainment colleagues. I’m a great believer in things happening for a reason. One door closes and another opens, but yes. In Sasha and Dima, a couple of very popular cast member will go.

Phil

I will too Bob and the other ballroom dancers on Quest, Alexey and Alina. I think Azamara missed a trick here. They could really have developed them within the entertainment program. Very classy. I know Sasha and Dima wouldn’t want to be singled out amongst their entertainment colleagues. I’m a great believer in things happening for a reason. One door closes and another opens, but yes. In Sasha and Dima, a couple of very popular cast member will go.

Phil

Absolutely agree Phil. I loved watching the wonderful dance skills of Sasha and Dima and Alina and Alex. I will miss them very much.

Very interesting concept, and definitely something different. I agree some Gilbert and Sullivan could be fun.

Regarding singing CD's we got a good taste of that with Russ on our Jan 15 cruise on the Quest. Luckily for all of us, Russ is very talented and engaging, so good decision there.

I really wish they could have some featured dancers; one of my favorite things on cruises over the years have been watching professional dancers live; and in Azamara's case, up close. Why not have ballet night, followed a few nights later by Bob Fosse night, and jazz dance night. There are so many dance genres that a talented pair could mix it up with the other new entertainment and really create something special.

Edited by Gardyloo2
syntax

https://www.citytheatre.com/shorts-on-ships

Found this on the Miami City Theatre web site. Quite open about the new set up.

Interesting that from last night the link has changed! This was last nights link....

Two companies of five actors each will be cast. The first company will live and perform on board the ship for a period of three months. During this time, the second company will serve as standby actors (at home) (Should a member of the first cast become unable to continue, a standby actor will join the remaining cast on board the ship for the remainder of the tour). In May, the first cast will leave the ship and become standby actors for three months (at home) and the second cast will board the ship and perform until August.

Actors will perform each production (approximately equivalent to a one-act) twice in an evening. Productions will be performed approximately two evenings per week.

Actors will also be required to create and lead an enrichment activity at least once per voyage. Such enrichment activities could be a class, a lecture, a workshop, etc. and will have the ship’s guests as attendees.

Actors will be considered part of the cruise line’s crew and additional duties will include, but are not limited to:

Life Safety

Guest relations

On Board Activities

Very interesting concept, and definitely something different. I agree some Gilbert and Sullivan could be fun.

Regarding singing CD's we got a good taste of that with Russ on our Jan 15 cruise on the Quest. Luckily for all of us, Russ is very talented and engaging, so good decision there.

I really wish they could have some featured dancers; one of my favorite things on cruises over the years have been watching professional dancers live; and in Azamara's case, up close. Why not have ballet night, followed a few nights later by Bob Fosse night, and jazz dance night. There are so many dance genres that a talented pair could mix it up with the other new entertainment and really create something special.

I agree re featured dancers and their current pairs could probably have done it so this must have been a direction Azamara didn’t want. Combines great research does answer questions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pleased to see that they are saying that the plays will be performed in the evening, P&O tried an afternoon theatre spot, and I think that was on Adonia. It was a good idea but the “plays” were too long and at the wrong time of day.

I agree re featured dancers and their current pairs could probably have done it so this must have been a direction Azamara didn’t want. Combines great research does answer questions!

I call it research, my husband would say being nosey!

Certainly sounds ambitious, entertainment isn’t top of the list for importance but we will be interested to have a look with an open mind. Of more interest to us will be the timing of the entertainment not being early diners it’s often impossible to enjoy a leisurely meal and get to see a show.

We agree Carol and John

On Azamara we often have to make the choice of seeing the entertainment or opting to eat at our desired time which is 8pm or later. Maybe these options will provide a wider choice

Vicki

We agree Carol and John

On Azamara we often have to make the choice of seeing the entertainment or opting to eat at our desired time which is 8pm or later. Maybe these options will provide a wider choice

Vicki

I also agree. If we are enjoying a leisurely dinner in one of the specialities, it is almost impossible to finish in time to see the entertainment. When I have asked various CD's if it is possible to start the show a little later, have been told that the timings are at the request of the Restaurant Manager. No idea if this is really the case.

I also agree. If we are enjoying a leisurely dinner in one of the specialities, it is almost impossible to finish in time to see the entertainment. When I have asked various CD's if it is possible to start the show a little later, have been told that the timings are at the request of the Restaurant Manager. No idea if this is really the case.

I think before ten silly

Yet all winter sailing on a ship that does 930

So skipped dinner for the show