Manhattan Dress Code

gmbhardy

I didn't realize that the Manhattan Room on the Epic has a dress code requiring men to wear long pants (I was refused entry last week). Shorts are fine on the Breakaway class ships but not the Epic. I think NCL should standardize their dress code policies to make them consistent on all ships.

I didn't realize that the Manhattan Room on the Epic has a dress code requiring men to wear long pants (I was refused entry last week). Shorts are fine on the Breakaway class ships but not the Epic. I think NCL should standardize their dress code policies to make them consistent on all ships.

Not only should they standardize them but they should enforce them, which is not one of their strong points.

Why would you wear shorts down to dinner? Maybe in the buffet! We dressed up as supposed to be mandatory in Le Bistro on the Spirit, and there were lots of men in jeans and t-shirts/polo shirts. When you’ve made an effort, you feel like bopping them on the nose! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you wear shorts down to dinner? Maybe in the buffet! We dressed up as supposed to be mandatory in Le Bistro on the Spirit, and there were lots of men in jeans and t-shirts/polo shirts. When you’ve made an effort, you feel like bopping them on the nose! Lol

Not everyone is going to get fancied up for you. Those in jeans were within the dress code, as they are allowed.

I get where you're coming from. Consistency and enforcement would be lovely. If I'm going to bother going to the effort of packing and putting on long pants (or changing into them from my comfy shorts/swim trunks), I don't want to feel "screwed" cuz they don't enforce the rules. Not having to pack long pants would save a decent amount of weight/space and not having to change could save me a lot of time/hassle in making an extra trip to my room from whatever I was doing.

I get where you're coming from. Consistency and enforcement would be lovely. If I'm going to bother going to the effort of packing and putting on long pants (or changing into them from my comfy shorts/swim trunks), I don't want to feel "screwed" cuz they don't enforce the rules. Not having to pack long pants would save a decent amount of weight/space and not having to change could save me a lot of time/hassle in making an extra trip to my room from whatever I was doing.

But nobody is talking about the rules not being enforced. People wearing jeans are within the rules, as are those wearing shorts in most restaurants.

If you choose to dress up more than the dress code stipulates then that’s great, but don’t expect everyone else to join you.

But nobody is talking about the rules not being enforced. People wearing jeans are within the rules, as are those wearing shorts in most restaurants.

If you choose to dress up more than the dress code stipulates then that’s great, but don’t expect everyone else to join you.

I was thinking about the 2nd poster when talking about enforcement.

I was thinking about the 2nd poster when talking about enforcement.

Ah OK. I think enforcement is always going to be a bit of an issue as it is down to individual staff members and they are always going to be a little wary of upsetting customers.

The only lack of consistency (on NCLs part) seems to be with regard to the aft dining room on the newer ships. I’m not sure why they are different, but I certainly agree that it would be best if they were the same fleet wide.

Sorry for the newb questions, but what are the aft dining rooms? Are those the complimentary dining rooms like the Manhattan room, or specialty or exclusive like Haven's dining room?

Yes, they are complementary dining rooms.

There are two or three main dining rooms which are complementary (two on older ships, three on the Breakaway, Getaway and Escape). The aft one has a very slightly stricter dress code on most ships, as in no shorts. Manhattan is the name of the aft dining room on a few ships.

I can understand having a dress code in one of the specialt restaurants on each ship (Ocean Blue, Bayamo, Le Bistro) but not in a MDR. It really does contradict their free style cruising concept "do what you want, when you want". But at the end of the day, I just want to know what to wear.

Shorts WERE allowed in the Manhattan Room on the BA and the Escape last time I was there.

We were on the BA during its first year, ds12 was questioned about his age, because he was wearing shorts (he was a tall 12 year old). Shorts were definitely not allowed then.

From memory, the dress code was changed on the newer ships a couple of years ago, probably around when the Escape was launched, to allow shorts.

I may be wrong, but I think it was first noticed on the Escape and then was changed on the other ships.

Yep, that's when I first noticed it was on Escape. Then I specifically looked at the Dailies on Breakaway this past summer to make sure my husband could wear shorts, and he could.