Buying carnival shares prior to Diamond Princess cruise?

ellie1145

You have to have the shares in hand and notify Princess at least 2 weeks before you sail. So you don't have a lot of time to get it done. As to where to buy the shares in the UK I have no idea. In the colonies (as you call us) any stock broker can do it but need to shop around in case there is a charge. Probably something like that in the UK. The OBC benefits are great and you will get a small dividend every quarter. Just remember it is per cabin and not per pax.

We are sailing on Diamond on January 11th.

Is it too late to buy shares and get the OBC?

Also, what is the best and most cost effective way to buy shares in the UK, please?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Don't know anything about buying shares/stock in the UK, but you should be able to get your paperwork in to Princess on time. I'm attaching a copy of the form for you to submit along with the documentation from whomever you buy your stock from. 100 shares is the minimum number of shares you'll need. Any more than that doesn't get you any more OBC.

Tom

Carnival Shareholder Stock form-valid through 31 Jul 2018.pdf

Just watch out for brokers like Scottrade/TD Ameritrade that will not allow you to get dividends as partial shares. CCL is currently trading at around $66 on the NYSE and quarterly dividends on 100 shares will only be $35. TD Ameritrade only handles full shares, so your dividends can't be reinvested. You can also buy as part of a retirement fund if you want to use money you are not planning on spending anyway (and if your company allows it).

You're in for a surprise when you get your next dividend payment.

Yep $.40/share instead of $.35/share. And that next dividend will be in about a week or so. Between reinvested dividends, increase in stock value and OBC we've made about 75% on our original investment. Just wish we'd have bought a couple of years earlier!. Not complaining though. Free money is always nice! :)

Tom

My father purchased 1,000 shares each for myself, husband and children in 1992 after his first cruise. He was a firm believer of buying stock as gifts. Needless to say his foresight has paid off in more ways than one. We have continued the tradition of buying stock for our grandchildren.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by kiwimum

Just watch out for brokers like Scottrade/TD Ameritrade that will not allow you to get dividends as partial shares. CCL is currently trading at around $66 on the NYSE and quarterly dividends on 100 shares will only be $35. TD Ameritrade only handles full shares, so your dividends can't be reinvested. You can also buy as part of a retirement fund if you want to use money you are not planning on spending anyway (and if your company allows it).

Wow. I am glad that I use Fidelity. Reinvesting partial shares for any stock or mutual fund has never been a problem with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ellie, I'm on the same cruise as you (Diamond Princess 11 Jan from Sydney) and just bought the stock last week. Only problem is, none of the receipts I have from my broker have my name printed on them. Tried to send them to Princess, got a reply they're not good enough. My monthly (and annual) statement at the end of December should have everything on it, but by then, we'll be less than 2 weeks away from from cruise. I've written back to Princess to see if that'd be good enough.

Ellie, I'm on the same cruise as you (Diamond Princess 11 Jan from Sydney) and just bought the stock last week. Only problem is, none of the receipts I have from my broker have my name printed on them. Tried to send them to Princess, got a reply they're not good enough. My monthly (and annual) statement at the end of December should have everything on it, but by then, we'll be less than 2 weeks away from from cruise. I've written back to Princess to see if that'd be good enough.

I've had a similar problem. I contacted my broker and was able to get a statement outside of the normal cycle. Call your broker and ask if you can get a statement or other documentation with your name and the number of shares of stock.

We are sailing on Diamond on January 11th.

Is it too late to buy shares and get the OBC?

Also, what is the best and most cost effective way to buy shares in the UK, please?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

I use Fidelity here in the US and am very happy with Fidelity

Purchasing 100 shares here would cost $4.95 and CCL is currently trading at $68.19

Fidelity has a London Office

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/contact

Give them a call

Howard

I would GUESS that a Brit can open an account with a US stock broker. I've never looked into this. I use Charles Schwab, a discount broker.

Do NOT buy the stock simply for the OBC. $6,700 spent (more or less) to make $100 is not a good investment. Only buy if you think that this is a good investment and the $100 OBC is simply gravy!

By the way, the dividend being paid right about now goes to owners of record as of a date that was about a month ago -- I'm too lazy to look the date up now. So the OP will not be getting this quarter's dividend.

I would GUESS that a Brit can open an account with a US stock broker. I've never looked into this. I use Charles Schwab, a discount broker.

Do NOT buy the stock simply for the OBC. $6,700 spent (more or less) to make $100 is not a good investment. Only buy if you think that this is a good investment and the $100 OBC is simply gravy!

By the way, the dividend being paid right about now goes to owners of record as of a date that was about a month ago -- I'm too lazy to look the date up now. So the OP will not be getting this quarter's dividend.

Buying the stock to receive $100 once may not be a good investment. However, if you cruise more often you receive a lot more OBC than that. A 14-day cruise pays $250 in OBC, and it doesn't take many of those to make the stock purchase a great investment.

I purchased the stock five years ago. Since that time I have received $2,000 in OBC and $680 in cash dividends. The OBC is the primary reason it has been a great investment - it has paid a lot more in OBC than in dividends.

The price of the stock has gone up 80 percent in the five years I have owned it, so this gives me a nice paper profit. However, this paper gain really doesn't matter, since I have no intention of selling the stock. If the stock had gone down instead of up, I would still have received the same OBC and dividends, and I would still be just as well off.