Cellular Roaming at Sea

With some family members back home in poor health, we want people at home to be able to reach us, but we don't want to spend a huge chunk of change on internet access while on vacation. (Usually we leave our phones in the safe the entire trip; the cruise is like a social media detox...)

Looking at Verizon's web site, it appears that if we keep our phones turned on but switch off the data, we could receive a call (at $2.99/minute) while on board but otherwise if we never use the phone we wouldn't pay any extra fees. That seems like a good balance of peace of mind that we can be reached if necessary without having to pay $14/day to use iMessage via Voom. We're going to be on the Anthem for 12 nights and that's $$.

Anyone with experience with Cellular At Sea? Do I have this right or am I setting myself up for a big surprise when the bill comes?

On average I get about $10.00 worth of stray charges on my phone when I leave it on. Either phone call, or texts. The big thing is turn off data! It's worth the risk for me.

On a side note, some phone carriers offer international packages that include data, texting and phone. It does not include while on the ship! However, it is cheaper than the ship package, so on a 12 day trip, I get it for $60.00 (way less than the ship) but you need to remember to turn data on and off when needed. So I get to check up on elderly family, and get to text and get updates on the news, and use my phone for the all important navigation maps!.

On average I get about $10.00 worth of stray charges on my phone when I leave it on. Either phone call, or texts. The big thing is turn off data! It's worth the risk for me.

On a side note, some phone carriers offer international packages that include data, texting and phone. It does not include while on the ship! However, it is cheaper than the ship package, so on a 12 day trip, I get it for $60.00 (way less than the ship) but you need to remember to turn data on and off when needed. So I get to check up on elderly family, and get to text and get updates on the news, and use my phone for the all important navigation maps!.

On One cruise, I forgot to turn off data on my phone for over night and the charges were considerable. Remember to turn off data roaming!

Just to add to my comments. You must be very good at remembering to turn your data on and off when needed. The plans offered are many times "limited" amount of data, so you must use it sparingly. I'm an old school mobile phone user, that had my number since the days when we learned all about roaming, and knew what the little roaming light means. I was trained in the old school way of things. So, I have no issue remembering to turn my data on....use it....turn it off. Like a light switch. Use when necessary. I don't just turn my data roaming off, but I turn my data switch off. That means all data is off. It's the safest way.

I have a plan like that. It depends upon the country. When I was in Taiwan, I paid a flat daily fee and my calls and data counted towards my normal plan allowances. But when I connected in Tokyo, Japan wasn't part of that, and I paid per mb of data while I was connected there - so I paid more to check email during the layover than I did the entire time I was in Taipei!

Also look into Verizon TravelPass. This plan allows you to use your regular cell plan minutes and data while out of the country. This would apply when you are at an island, NOT when at sea.

There is no charge to turn on TravelPass for your phone. The way it works is if you use your phone then you are charged a flat $10 fee which allows you to use your phone for 24 hours - voice, text, and data - at no additional charge, just like if you are at home.

Here is a list of places where it works:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/

Again this will allow you to use your phone for unlimited minutes while in port for $10, but it does not cover you when you are at sea. You are only charged the $10 if you actually use your phone. If you use your phone you have a 24 hour window to keep using it for the same $10 fee, even if it is on two different islands on consecutive days.

Last April on the Allure I had caught a sale prior to boarding for one device VOOM, surf + stream at $8.99 per day. I don't see any prices that "reasonable" currently......not sure if they ever come up that low anymore. That allowed me to use Viber wi-fi calling to make and receive calls both on the ship ,at sea or in port when I was connected to wi-fi

I agree with everything but also add that I tell my family to text me as it's chesper. On Verizon it's usually $.50 to send a text and $.05 to receive one. Double check. That's also a way to keep updated without incurring too much cost.

Often times you have to stay in touch with an older relative who may not have a cell phone or may not text. Wifi calling allowed me to keep in touch with mom who only uses her landline

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Often times you have to stay in touch with an older relative who may not have a cell phone or may not text. Wifi calling allowed me to keep in touch with mom who only uses her landline

Whether the person you're calling (or getting calls from) is using a cell phone or a landline is immaterial.

Also for the OP, usually you can receive texts for free and send texts for .50 each (check your carrier but that is common). I never get an international plan when I travel. I turn off data roaming and use wifi whenever available. Otherwise, I don't make or answer calls; I just text when necessary. I was in Europe for 10 days in October, and even with a lot of texting (much of which wasn't necessary and could have been avoided) I only added about $20 to my bill. A friend in our group got a plan that charged $10/day for phone/text/data but was only charged on days he used it. Well a single text on a given day meant he was charged $10 for that day. Ended up costing him something like $70 or $80 for the trip.

To add to what Martyap said, turn on "wifi calling" on your phone. When you turn it on it will ask for info for 911. Simply fill out your home address. It does that so if you call 911while on wifi calling, it'll give the address you entered. Obviously if concerned, you should change it to where you are. But you have to fill in something to turn on the service.

Once on, and you are hooked up to an internet, you can bias the phone to wifi calling by going into airplane mode then turning on your wifi and connecting to the internet. All ports have someplace that you can get free internet. Cafe, restaurant, sometimes the port facility, etc. So when you are in port, go into a cafe, order a drink, hookup to their wifi, make sure your phone is in "wifi calling" (it will say "VZW wifi" where it shows the carrier), and make all the calls you want for free.

Also, tell people if they need you, to text you. You can receive texts on the ship or anywhere, for I think, $.05 receive, $0.50 to send. If there's a need to call, you can get a 24 hour internet package for not that much, and hook up to wifi calling and call for free for as long as you want. Or you can pay the per minute cost on the ship. But at $2.95 per minute (or whatever), doesn't take long to exceed the internet daily rate.

Anyway, just some suggestions.

To add to what Martyap said, turn on "wifi calling" on your phone. ...

Just to clarify, this initial (one-time) setup has to be done when connected to cellular, so it's best done before leaving the country.

Whether the person you're calling (or getting calls from) is using a cell phone or a landline is immaterial.

Also for the OP, usually you can receive texts for free and send texts for .50 each (check your carrier but that is common). I never get an international plan when I travel. I turn off data roaming and use wifi whenever available. Otherwise, I don't make or answer calls; I just text when necessary. I was in Europe for 10 days in October, and even with a lot of texting (much of which wasn't necessary and could have been avoided) I only added about $20 to my bill. A friend in our group got a plan that charged $10/day for phone/text/data but was only charged on days he used it. Well a single text on a given day meant he was charged $10 for that day. Ended up costing him something like $70 or $80 for the trip.

ATT charges $10.00 a day for unlimited texts and data. However, they also offer plans starting at $40 for limited data and unlimited texts with reduced rates for phone calls. It is for a 30 day period. I go annually internationally, and use this instead of the daily one. Advantage is, that when I am walking, and I get lost, I have data to map my path! I have the ability to translate. I can sit anywhere and make plans, and not "look" for a wifi place. I get it for my wife and my phone, and we can communicate when we are not together, and it's just a small price to pay in the big picture.

With some family members back home in poor health, we want people at home to be able to reach us, but we don't want to spend a huge chunk of change on internet access while on vacation. (Usually we leave our phones in the safe the entire trip; the cruise is like a social media detox...)

Looking at Verizon's web site, it appears that if we keep our phones turned on but switch off the data, we could receive a call (at $2.99/minute) while on board but otherwise if we never use the phone we wouldn't pay any extra fees. That seems like a good balance of peace of mind that we can be reached if necessary without having to pay $14/day to use iMessage via Voom. We're going to be on the Anthem for 12 nights and that's $$.

Anyone with experience with Cellular At Sea? Do I have this right or am I setting myself up for a big surprise when the bill comes?

We have Verizon and this is what we do on all of our cruises.

Also look into Verizon TravelPass. This plan allows you to use your regular cell plan minutes and data while out of the country. This would apply when you are at an island, NOT when at sea.

There is no charge to turn on TravelPass for your phone. The way it works is if you use your phone then you are charged a flat $10 fee which allows you to use your phone for 24 hours - voice, text, and data - at no additional charge, just like if you are at home.

Here is a list of places where it works:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/

Again this will allow you to use your phone for unlimited minutes while in port for $10, but it does not cover you when you are at sea. You are only charged the $10 if you actually use your phone. If you use your phone you have a 24 hour window to keep using it for the same $10 fee, even if it is on two different islands on consecutive days.

We have also used this a couple of times - once in Canada and once in Mexico. You draw from your regular data plan.

Just to add to my comments. You must be very good at remembering to turn your data on and off when needed. The plans offered are many times "limited" amount of data, so you must use it sparingly. I'm an old school mobile phone user, that had my number since the days when we learned all about roaming, and knew what the little roaming light means. I was trained in the old school way of things. So, I have no issue remembering to turn my data on....use it....turn it off. Like a light switch. Use when necessary. I don't just turn my data roaming off, but I turn my data switch off. That means all data is off. It's the safest way.

Normally true but Verizon does not even allow data on Cellular at Sea anymore. They must have gotten too many complaints. So with Verizon service, it should not matter whether data is on or off anymore.

Used WiFi calling on our recent Oasis cruise. We purchased a WiFi package, turned off cellular and put phone in airplane mode. We were able to text and make and receive calls. We actually keep our phones in WiFi calling mode since our cellular signal at home can be weak at times. As was said earlier, you need to do it before you leave the country. We have Verizon cellular service.

Depending what type of phone you have and your family has you may be able to stay in touch for free. Sorry I don't know much about technology but I just got off the Anthem and there is a bit of glitch which allows i-messaging for free the entire time. I was able to stay intouch with my kids. No pictures, but texting (well i-messaging) worked perfect. I had it on airplane mode. Did not get a plan, never got charged for anything and have gotten my cell bill since and there is no fee. I am Canadian and never had any fee for being out of the country as I had it on airplane mode and data off before we left Canada. If you search the forums, there is one that details it a little better. Apparently android has a similar thing that works as well, like I said I'm not very techy, but you can search it on here.

Depending what type of phone you have and your family has you may be able to stay in touch for free. Sorry I don't know much about technology but I just got off the Anthem and there is a bit of glitch which allows i-messaging for free the entire time. I was able to stay intouch with my kids. No pictures, but texting (well i-messaging) worked perfect. I had it on airplane mode. Did not get a plan, never got charged for anything and have gotten my cell bill since and there is no fee. I am Canadian and never had any fee for being out of the country as I had it on airplane mode and data off before we left Canada. If you search the forums, there is one that details it a little better. Apparently android has a similar thing that works as well, like I said I'm not very techy, but you can search it on here.

For the benefit of the OP, this "glitch" has only been reported on ships that support the Royal IQ app, which are Quantum class ships plus Harmony.

ATT charges $10.00 a day for unlimited texts and data. However, they also offer plans starting at $40 for limited data

Just be very sure that you know if/when you are about to exceed the data limit...you'll be charged afterward. People's data use varies, and getting a charge for extra data can be an ugly surprise.

ATT charges $10.00 a day for unlimited texts and data. However, they also offer plans starting at $40 for limited data and unlimited texts with reduced rates for phone calls. It is for a 30 day period.

No longer accurate. The $40 plan has now been discontinued. The cheapest passport plan is now $60. It includes 1GB of data. Also, the $10 plan is unlimited data only if you have the unlimited data plan. The $10 plan uses the data from your regular plan so if you have a shared data plan, you are limited to that shared data.

To add to what Martyap said, turn on "wifi calling" on your phone. When you turn it on it will ask for info for 911. Simply fill out your home address. It does that so if you call 911while on wifi calling, it'll give the address you entered. Obviously if concerned, you should change it to where you are. But you have to fill in something to turn on the service.

Calling 911 while outside the US on WiFi calling would be useless, no one can be dispatched to where you are, so I would not worry about changing the address while using it on a cruise. If you often use WiFi calling at other addresses in the US, that would be when you might want to change the emergency addreess

Calling 911 while outside the US on WiFi calling would be useless, no one can be dispatched to where you are

And not all countries use "911" for the emergency services number. In some places you'd need to call a completely different number for an ambulance or whatever.