Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

Then you are living in a time warp. Go to Macy's and tell them you'd like a pair of dressier shorts for men. No problem as there is much to choose from.

There are probably several styles to choose from when you ask for “dressier shorts“.

But are there any that are truly called “dress shorts”?

There is a difference.

There are probably several styles to choose from when you ask for “dressier shorts“.

But are there any that are truly called “dress shorts”?

There is a difference.

Shorts are generally not definable as being "dressy" - with the significant exception of Bermuda shorts; which, by themselves are not "dressy" but when worn in combination with knee socks, dress shirt, jacket and necktie serve as part of a "dressy" outfit.

There is a range of casualness - basketball shorts, cargo shorts and very short shorts cannot qualify - but Bermuda shorts - knee length and creased - are reasonably referred to as "dress shorts".

Shorts are generally not definable as being "dressy" - with the significant exception of Bermuda shorts; which, by themselves are not "dressy" but when worn in combination with knee socks, dress shirt, jacket and necktie serve as part of a "dressy" outfit.

There is a range of casualness - basketball shorts, cargo shorts and very short shorts cannot qualify - but Bermuda shorts - knee length and creased - are reasonably referred to as "dress shorts".

Absolutely. So true Bermuda shorts, worn as part of the above mentioned ensemble, would be dress shorts. Rarely is a clothing item defined by what is ALSO worn with it. Interesting!

Absolutely. So true Bermuda shorts, worn as part of the above mentioned ensemble, would be dress shorts. Rarely is a clothing item defined by what is ALSO worn with it. Interesting!

Of course a dress shirt, worn with a jacket and tie is certainly “dressy“ - but that same shirt worn with the top three buttons open and the sleeves rolled up above the elbow would not be so considered. Context counts in clothing - as in most other areas.

No problem. Pack a pair of long pants and a clean top in your carry on bag. If your checked luggage is not delivered, you will have long pants to wear to dinner. :) Proper prior planning provides fo r s s imple needs. :) A pair of folded pants can fit in almost any tote bag inc luding the ones HAL give us. There is always the option to w ear long pants to board the ship. My suitcase was not delivered to my my cabin " , is really a weak, lame excuse for showing up to dinner in MDR wearing shorts.

TAD, two top tables on most HAL ships are not few and far between :)

7 Seas.... Looking at the PDF on HALfacts of the Westerdam MDR, upper level, out of the 85 + tables, there are a total of 14 true, 2-tops. All Vista-class ships are the same. I'm not speaking of a 4-top and they seat 2 people there, but a true table for 2. 14 out of 85 + tables is pretty few. Especially if you haven't requested a 2-top ahead of time, which we did on the Westy and had a difficult time getting it many months out.

From what I saw on the Koningsdam they had lots of 4-tops which they separated or put together as needs dictated. I also saw one very upset couple who lost their assigned seating because they didn't arrive within the required 15 minute window.

Then you are living in a time warp. Go to Macy's and tell them you'd like a pair of dressier shorts for men. No problem as there is much to choose from.

Please, don't send me to Macy's. Tthe two near me are so undersstaffed one cannot get help and the stores are shabby and old. :(

Does it really matter?

Who on earth stays up at night worrying about something like this.....or even giving it a seconds passing thought.

Why sweat the small stuff? And in the overall scheme of things this is not even small, it is minute. IMHO, you would be lucky to find 10 people on a 1200 passenger ship who care about it.

I've NEVER run into the "fashion police" on a HAL ship..they seem to only exist here..and quite vociferously I might add..:rolleyes:

If you google 'dress shorts', you get 10,100,000 hits. (thats ten million plus).

More importantly, you will see the images of Brooks Brothers Mens Dress Shorts ($79.50)

The prosecution rests its case!

Edited by JRG
typo

Does it really matter?

Who on earth stays up at night worrying about something like this.....or even giving it a seconds passing thought.

Why sweat the small stuff? And in the overall scheme of things this is not even small, it is minute. IMHO, you would be lucky to find 10 people on a 1200 passenger ship who care about it.

Why sweat it, because it is encumbent on the younger generations to educate our elders on such matters as changing fashion trends, not forcibly though, and humor is one potential way. One poster is right, too many people are forcing their opinion on the other, without any evidence other than their memory of how it used to be. If you are making a point, use facts that can be verified if you are presenting an opinion. Be factual, no fake news here please!

And one more thing. It is a fact that in the marketplace of goods and services, markets get what they want. What this means is that sometime in the future, we may see the more aggressive cruise lines actually changing their policy and begin to allow 'dress shorts' in the MDR.

Think about how formal night has been retired, people started not dressing formal, discussion ensued, and policies changed. It may very well happen in the future as younger generations stake their claim.

Markets get what they want, that is a fact!

Why sweat it, because it is encumbent on the younger generations to educate our elders on such matters as changing fashion trends, not forcibly though, and humor is one potential way. One poster is right, too many people are forcing their opinion on the other, without any evidence other than their memory of how it used to be. If you are making a point, use facts that can be verified if you are presenting an opinion. Be factual, no fake news here please!

What pleases me but also irks me is that I've made the comment(more than once) about people forcing their opinion on others and have had several people agree with me..and had several more(the same people over and over as I've said before)making it seem as if their opinion is popular, when it's not.

If it's a comfort thing(which it is for some I get it) fine.But if you're doing it because you're under the influence of TV shows and what have you..not so much.

if You are very lucky, you will one day be our age. We were once yours'. :)

Every day we are all one day older.

C ontrary to the way some millenials seem to think, it is not a shameful thing to age. It sometimes comes with some respect for what seniors have learned along the way.

Just wear dress pants, then there is no question. I do have one question: Do the people who want jeans, shorts, baseball hats, etc while fine dinning EVER want to where "nicer" clothes?? If so where? I am interested in this....

if You are very lucky, you will one day be our age. We were once yours'. :)

Every day we are all one day older.

C ontrary to the way some millenials seem to think, it is not a shameful thing to age. It sometimes comes with some respect for what seniors have learned along the way.

Ok, now don't go playing the 'senior card' to make us feel guilty. You simply got caught with your 'dress pants down', while at the same time trying to force your opinion down our throats. And you do this on a lot of your comments.

You have been called out for being wrong, nobody is disrespecting you, but please don't assume that your opinion is infallible. Please base your opinion on facts or logic and recognize that maybe you need to see things differently from time to time.

p.s. I wish I was young enough to be a millennial.

Just wear dress pants, then there is no question. I do have one question: Do the people who want jeans, shorts, baseball hats, etc while fine dinning EVER want to where "nicer" clothes?? If so where? I am interested in this....

I hope you get a few answers, I really like your question.

Ok, now don't go playing the 'senior card' to make us feel guilty. You simply got caught with your 'dress pants down', ( a while at the same time trying to force your opinion down our throats. And you do this on a lot of your comments. Stating a fact that I am a senior is not playing a card... You asked for facts. That is a fact. I am a senior.

You have been called out for being wrong, nobody is disrespecting you, but please don't assume that your opinion is infallible. Please base your opinion on facts or logic and recognize that maybe you need to see things differently from time to time.

p.s. I wish I was young enough to be a millennial.

I do not feel my opinion is of any more value than anyone else'se but I also feel it is of equal value as is everyone's.

The only pertinent 'fact' I could add to my opinion as stated is that each day, each of us is one day older. AND those of us now seniors were once the younger age some here now enjoy and think us oldies have had our day and should hush up. Or so it seems to me.

As to forcing i t down someone's throat......? I write my opinion as does everyone. Take it or leave it.... How is that forcing an opinion down someone's throat? . If you don' wish to read my posts, that is your choice and CC has a great feature. You can put a poster on ignore and not see their posts unless someone quotes them. That is a fact.

Edited by sail7seas

ok, I believe you are right. 'Forcing down your throats' is too harsh. My bad.

Please continue to share your opinions, just be advised that a lot of people are gullible and will believe just about anything they hear on this post if they hear it enough.

It helps to reference a fact, or a theory, or some hypothesis or reasoning when expressing an opinion. Think of yourself as being in a college classroom discussing some topic in debate fashion.

Do you think "nicer" clothes is an essential to a "fine" dining experience?

How do you define "fine" dining?

ok, I believe you are right. 'Forcing down your throats' is too harsh. My bad.

Please continue to share your opinions, just be advised that a lot of people are gullible and will believe just about anything they hear on this post if they hear it enough.

It helps to reference a fact, or a theory, or some hypothesis or reasoning when expressing an opinion. Think of yourself as being in a college classroom discussing some topic in debate fashion.

Jerry and or Judy.

If you wish to play act college debates, fine, :) go for it. I'll pass thanks.

This is an internet message board, not a debate so iety competition. :roll eyes: :D

No problem. Pack a pair of long pants and a clean top in your carry on bag. If your checked luggage is not delivered, you will have long pants to wear to dinner. :) Proper prior planning provides fo r s s imple needs. :) A pair of folded pants can fit in almost any tote bag inc luding the ones HAL give us. There is always the option to w ear long pants to board the ship. My suitcase was not delivered to my my cabin " , is really a weak, lame excuse for showing up to dinner in MDR wearing shorts.

TAD, two top tables on most HAL ships are not few and far between :)

Quite recently I read a post from someone who travels solo, who has difficulty managing their carry on luggage. I'm sure that some people need all the space in their carry-on for essentials, and can't manage carrying a tote in addition to the carry-on. As for boarding in long pants -- that is an individual decision, and imho shouldn't be influenced by what some think is "acceptable".

Alright just off b2b on the Eurodam,Shorts are ok on 1st night.There were many.Especially on the 2nd week.After 1st night we did see some people make it in with shorts.But if person seating them saw it they asked them to change.The dressing on Holland is no were near as formal as it use to be,but that seems to be true on all the cruise lines.We had a great time any questions feel free to ask.

Tom

Thanks for letting us know your experience that shorts are okay on the first night (y)

Quite recently I read a post from someone who travels solo, who has difficulty managing their carry on luggage. I'm sure that some people need all the space in their carry-on for essentials, and can't manage carrying a tote in addition to the carry-on. As for boarding in long pants -- that is an individual decision, and imho shouldn't be influenced by what some think is "acceptable".

Of course. :) Check

I travel solo and manage for mys elf whatever essentials I need to carry on. One makes choices and decides what is important to them.

OR, they could make the choice to b oard the ship wearing a pair of dockers or even jeans..... long pants.