Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

Here's your original post:

Did I misinterpret your original post? It seems to imply that unless one is dressed to a certain standard, they have no right to expect a certain level of ambiance, ie, a tablecloth. Or, even, unless they do dress to a certain level, then it is acceptable to remove their 'ambiance'.

Looks like you'll keep asking questions, so now, I'll follow suit (i.e. we'll forgo actual answers ;) ).

Is it not not natural to wonder, as a preceding poster did, why someone who wants to dress casually, would choose the more formal dining option?

Please take the question at face value. I'm not talking about what you should do.

(Excuse me for veering from the topic of first night dining when luggage has not arrived, but it seems this thread has already veered a bit.)

If my luggage doesn't arrive in time and I don't have appropriate clothing, I would go to Lido or order room service. But that's just me, and I don't expect everyone to do the same.

I just hope that most people would be dressed nicely so that the dining room can still give the fine dining atmosphere. Just a few people in shorts and T-shirts wouldn't bother me, but if that's what the majority of people wear, I would be disappointed. I was hoping for (and thought I paid for) upscale dining. Not dinner at Denny's.

And I chose HAL because I thought HAL would be slightly more traditional and elegant than other mass market cruise lines. If I wanted casual, I would've booked Carnival. But maybe I expected too much.

Looks like you'll keep asking questions, so now, I'll follow suit (i.e. we'll forgo actual answers ;) ).

Is it not not natural to wonder, as a preceding poster did, why someone who wants to dress casually, would choose the more formal dining option?

Please take the question at face value. I'm not talking about what you should do.

(Excuse me for veering from the topic of first night dining when luggage has not arrived, but it seems this thread has already veered a bit.)

The MDR may have nice tableclothes, tableware etc. and look like formal dining (to some) but the food is far from fine dining.

If you like casual clothing, why do you even want to eat in MDR? Wouldn't Lido be more to your liking?

If my luggage doesn't arrive in time and I don't have appropriate clothing, I would go to Lido or order room service. But that's just me, and I don't expect everyone to do the same.

I just hope that most people would be dressed nicely so that the dining room can still give the fine dining atmosphere. Just a few people in shorts and T-shirts wouldn't bother me, but if that's what the majority of people wear, I would be disappointed. I was hoping for (and thought I paid for) upscale dining. Not dinner at Denny's.

And I chose HAL because I thought HAL would be slightly more traditional and elegant than other mass market cruise lines. If I wanted casual, I would've booked Carnival. But maybe I expected too much.

Have you considered sailing with Cunard? You can dress up every night. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

I don't remember OP asking about tablecloth. So, I'm curious, if you were so conscious about 'veering', then why did you interject the question of tablecloths?

Here's your post.

Good point.

Putting it another way, why would anyone dressed casually want a tablecloth?

I hope someone can answer that.

Again, if you're wearing jeans or shorts, would it be ok if your tablecloth was removed? If no, why?

I simply do not see the connection between dressing casually and tablecloths. Why would you think that a persons dress should affect the level of service they expect? This thread has included numerous examples of very high level dining where those dressed casually are welcomed. Dressing up simply isn't inherent to fine dining.

We always fly to embarkation port at least two or three days in advance.

Just because the airline gets the luggage to me at the end of my flight does not mean the cruise line cannot lose it. Sure I have it when I arrive at the cruise terrminal but I don't 'have' it until it has arrived in my cabin. ;)

I've had my luggage lost..going from the ship to baggage claim at the port.That happened to me.Luckily it happened to me at the END of my cruise,but it was a while before I got it back.

With all the noise, chaos and diminished service and food in today’s MDR, the formal dining experience disappeared years ago.

I see. I guess I better lower my expectations. :(

Have you considered sailing with Cunard? You can dress up every night. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll consider them for my next cruise.

And, yes, I'm still going to enjoy my HAL cruise! In 20 days! Yay!

I think you will have a very nice dining experience. And if you even think about this discussion once you board, you will wonder what the heck all the fuss was about.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

I hope you do. Despite what a lot of the pseudo-gourmets say about the food on HAL, it has always struck me as well prepared and well served.

Sure, it is several cuts below what it was twenty years ago - back when many of today's complainers could not afford it, or be willing to abide by the dress code, but it does beat virtually all shore-based restaurants.

I hope you do. Despite what a lot of the pseudo-gourmets say about the food on HAL, it has always struck me as well prepared and well served.

Sure, it is several cuts below what it was twenty years ago - back when many of today's complainers could not afford it, or be willing to abide by the dress code, but it does beat virtually all shore-based restaurants.

Seriously? :eek: As a frame of reference, which shore based restaurants?

Sorry I can't agree with you there.

Olive Garden, Applebee's, Denny's, Ponderosa, Outback, Red Lobster, McDonalds, Burger King, Long John Silver, Wendy's, Bob Evans, Waffle House -- to name just a few.

Did you really have to ask that question? Of course, HAL's MDR's do not match shore-based FINE restaurants - but they do surpass the ones most likely to be frequented by the majority of posters here

It may beat the food in many of those restaurant chains but really, that is not saying much.

We are far from gourmets but we avoid the chains and have never even heard of several that you mentioned. We stick to smaller, owner operated restaurants when we do eat out.

I am not saying the food on Hal's MDR is bad. It can be very good. But it can also be very mediocre and served luke warm in an extremely noisy MDR. Hit and miss. Same as most banquet food.

Place settings, table clothes etc don't make the meal for us. Our take is that there are some who could be served a Big Mac in the MDR and think that it is wonderful because of the so called ambiance. With the parsley on the side or the squeeze of colourful gel adorning the side if the plate. Not so us.

Edited by iancal

Olive Garden, Applebee's, Denny's, Ponderosa, Outback, Red Lobster, McDonalds, Burger King, Long John Silver, Wendy's, Bob Evans, Waffle House -- to name just a few.

Did you really have to ask that question? Of course, HAL's MDR's do not match shore-based FINE restaurants - but they do surpass the ones most likely to be frequented by the majority of posters here

My bolding. You are assuming an awful lot. You have no knowledge of where the majority of the posters choose to eat.

Certainly, the establishments you list aren't our choices for a meal out.

Speak for yourself.

Apart from the convenience of a quick meal at Outback when travelling, we avoid all the above mentioned restaurants like the plague.

My bolding. You are assuming an awful lot. You have no knowledge of where the majority of the posters choose to eat.

Certainly, the establishments you list aren't our choices for a meal out.

I did not suggest where any particular individual might choose to dine, but it is a very safe assumption that mass market restaurants do attract the demographic attracted to mass market cruise lines: that demographic whose attraction to low cost cruising has been encouraged by the lines' cutting service and quality are hardly likely to not seek "deals" when eating out at home.

Who do you think make up the masses of people who support those listed establishments?

I did not suggest where any particular individual might choose to dine, but it is a very safe assumption that mass market restaurants do attract the demographic attracted to mass market cruise lines: that demographic whose attraction to low cost cruising has been encouraged by the lines' cutting service and quality are hardly likely to not seek "deals" when eating out at home.

Who do you think make up the masses of people who support those listed establishments?

Do these comments reflect your opinion of your fellow humans????

What people choose to eat doesn't raise or lower their status except in the minds of those who have negative opinions.

Sorry I can't agree with you there.

I have to agree with you two. The design and looks of the MDR might beat the sit-down restaurants on NBT's list, but not the food quality. MDR food is ok, but nothing great. I think MDR food quality fell below chain restaurant a long time ago.

Our exposure to some of the chains does not lead us to believe that they are less expensive. Indeed, in our limited experience with them,we actually found that they are not less expensive, that they provide lesser value to us based upon the food and the service. Perhaps it is because we are usually oblivious to the adverts and marketing gimmicks. Nor have we ever cared about the latest eating fads or what everyone else seems to be doing. We are not lemmings.

We cruise on the mass market cruise lines. It would be a very long stretch to assume that we also frequent the chain restaurant establishments when we dine out for dinner. We buy most things, including dining and travel experiences, based on value. Price is only one component of value and is often not the prime indicator for us.

We are actually somewhat amazed that this assumption could be made in the first instance.

Edited by iancal

I have to agree with you two. The design and looks of the MDR might beat the sit-down restaurants on NBT's list, but not the food quality. MDR food is ok, but nothing great. I think MDR food quality fell below chain restaurant a long time ago.

I referred to how the food in HAL's MDR's was prepared and served. While tastes vary, I personally happen to believe the quality of the food on HAL is superior to that in the noted chain restaurants. But part of a meal's enjoyment goes beyond the food - and I believe the service on HAL is undeniably superior to that in those chains .

I learned long ago what happens when you assume.;p