Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

We cruise on the mass market cruise lines. It would be a very long stretch to assume that we also frequent the chain restaurant establishments when we dine out for dinner. We buy most things, including dining and travel experiences, based on value. Price is only one component of value and is often not the prime indicator for us.

Well said! I'll second this sentiment.

Of course you didn't ;)

Sadly, lately it appears that there are some people now that just want to challenge rather than help. they prefer to be argumentative.

the less attention they get the better ;)

Let's continue to focus on helping and valid opinions :). Such as yours :)

I'm not sure this was a case of challenging or being argumentative or needing attention. I think it was just a case of not understanding the use of the word 'Foodie'.

We need to give users the benefit of the doubt and not be too quick to judge and this forum will become a better place for all.

Kazu, thank you for being one of those people who make it pleasurable to participate in these boards. It's is, thankfully, just a handful of people who enjoy being confrontational. The vast majority of people are lovely and I really do enjoy sharing information with them. Happy New Year!

I ditto that....thank you Kazu....you are always helpful and kind. We appreciate you!

2053589b4c204ca33a6b0b9eac8cad1c.jpg

Sorry, just couldn’t resist! I also feel that people should make the effort to dress nicely or just use one of the less formal venues. If we don’t want to dress for dinner, we go to the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wholeheartedly agree about grits ... although I do think that mentioning cat food in the same sentence with pate is grossly unfair to cat food!

I was going to comment on grits, but kind of concerned I would be flamed. I happen to LOVE grits...since I was a child and visited the south, even though I was born up north. Some folks like it, some folks don't. Just like oatmeal. It is a matter of personal taste. I still love grits even as an adult. I don't think that classifies my tastes in food, or anything else for that matter.......JMHO

Excuse me? I'm not implying anything. I didn't even come close to saying that. What the heck is wrong with people lately! These boards have become a very unfriendly and hostile place.

I have found that my CC experience is much more pleasant, now that I make use of the Ignore feature.

Have patience.

I put forth the question days ago and many of the people I suspected might have said "yes" have since posted on the thread and bypassed the question entirely. It seems that they have accepted that what will be, will be. And that sort of feeling has taken some people a long time to come around to. Of COURSE no one should be denied what they have paid for, and certainly under no circumstance to be denied by another paying guest (non-employee). It seems we are all in agreement and that really does make me happy.

Page 12, I'll try, lol. So we often, often do not get what we pay for, in sooo many ways. Still, people could also eat in the Lido, as example. Per the photo above, if you bring your sports jacket and are a model, well, by all means wear shorts! I would add that much of the difficulty here at CC and HAL is caused by the regulars. I for one, would like to see this thread closed. Does this suffice :)

Could, but won't. I was a child model. I like wearing a sport coat but my wife hates it. I wouldn't board a ship wearing a sport jacket though. If my luggage didn't turn up neither would the coat

If someone turned up at a pay restaurant the first night and did not receive luggage and were in shorts you darn well better believe HAL would take their money!

2053589b4c204ca33a6b0b9eac8cad1c.jpg

Sorry, just couldn’t resist! I also feel that people should make the effort to dress nicely or just use one of the less formal venues. If we don’t want to dress for dinner, we go to the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And on that note... 6fff994bd18faa29711ada2c94d822c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We always have something in our carry-on that we can wear if luggage doesn’t arrive. In over 40 cruises, I can’t think of a single time we didn’t have luggage in time to unpack and change though. Although I admit we try to get on the ship as early as possible so that makes a difference too. Never fly in after lunch on departure day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have found that my CC experience is much more pleasant, now that I make use of the Ignore feature.
I just found this option........thank you! I made my "ignore" list and I expect that my new version of Cruise Critic will be so much nicer!

Can't do that if your luggage doesn't arrive, which is what we have been discussing last few pages.

I got the impression that some people think the late-luggage potential means that shorts on the first night is ok for everyone. I don't think there would be nearly as much debate if there was agreement that this is an exception that only applies when the luggage is late.

p.s.

I find the thread interesting only due to the variety of logic being employed. Shorts in themselves are of no interest. As long as they are not sagging.

p.p.s.

...Or worn with minimal sagging (displaying < 3 vertical inches of underpants).

I got the impression that some people think the late-luggage potential means that shorts on the first night is ok for everyone. I don't think there would be nearly as much debate if there was agreement that this is an exception that only applies when the luggage is late.

p.s.

I find the thread interesting only due to the variety of logic being employed. Shorts in themselves are of no interest. As long as they are not sagging.

p.p.s.

...Or worn with minimal sagging (displaying < 3 vertical inches of underpants).

For sure it started as an exception to the rule, but has become more of a 'defacto' trend (please no freaking out here) . Hence the discussion as to its general appropriateness on day 1 MDR.

You're right on about the sagging, that seems likes a gang-banger type of fashion thing that is comical to me, but it pretty common both in inner city, suburban and even rural America. I'd guess most people wouldn't want to see sagging long short pants with exposed Calvin Kleins in the first night MDR.