Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

For those against shorts, if someone does not receive luggage day one in a timely manner and are in shorts or other casual boarding day type clothing, should they be denied the food and service they have paid for?

There are a few posts earlier in this thread that seem to think it is fine to wear shorts if luggage is late being delivered. But then, there are also posts about "our luggage has always arrived well before we needed to go to dinner".

My opinion? Passengers whose luggage hasn't been delivered in a timely fashion should be allowed access to everything they have paid for.

There are a few posts earlier in this thread that seem to think it is fine to wear shorts if luggage is late being delivered. But then, there are also posts about "our luggage has always arrived well before we needed to go to dinner".

My opinion? Passengers whose luggage hasn't been delivered in a timely fashion should be allowed access to everything they have paid for.

Sensible

Some make it seems like lost luggage never happens. They'd be surprised to find out it does happen-more than you think. But they've never had that bad luck. Of course.:confused:

When I look at the beautiful dining room, I would never think of being too casual. It demeans the people who designed that room. I would be more uncomfortable dressed too casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like casual clothing, why do you even want to eat in MDR? Wouldn't Lido be more to your liking?

What does clothing preferences have to do with dining choices?

Plus, you do realize that lacy shorts are the in , dressy attire of the day? It’s not considered casual by any means.

What does clothing preferences have to do with dining choices?

Sorry, I just thought, if you liked casual clothing, you'd prefer casual dining too. My bad for assuming.

I googled "lacy shorts" and what I saw reminded me of the pantaloons women used to wear under hoops and petticoats. But what do I know. I don't follow the latest fashion :D

If you like casual clothing, why do you even want to eat in MDR? Wouldn't Lido be more to your liking?

I'm sorry but I don't see the correlation here. I prefer casual clothing on vacation, and I like a sit down dinner with service.

I just have to tell myself that the Fashion Police is a Cruise Critic thing and they can't hurt me onboard:').

I will hit 300 + days at sea on my next cruise and I have NEVER seen any fashion police on board ;)

When I look at the beautiful dining room, I would never think of being too casual. It demeans the people who designed that room. I would be more uncomfortable dressed too casual

Good point.

Putting it another way, why would anyone dressed casually want a tablecloth?

I hope someone can answer that.

Again, if you're wearing jeans or shorts, would it be ok if your tablecloth was removed? If no, why?

Seems like a natural, reasonable question. And personally I really don't mind if there are casually dressed people in the MDR. I don't feel like I have any more rights to be there just by wearing slacks. Nevertheless, questions such as this are undeniably intuitive.

Good point.

Putting it another way, why would anyone dressed casually want a tablecloth?

I hope someone can answer that.

Again, if you're wearing jeans or shorts, would it be ok if your tablecloth was removed? If no, why?

I don't understand.

We always have a tablecloth on our kitchen table and when I eat there more times than not I'm wearing jeans or (gasp) my yoga pants. I sure don't consider it fine dining. LOL

Seems like a natural, reasonable question. And personally I really don't mind if there are casually dressed people in the MDR. I don't feel like I have any more rights to be there just by wearing slacks. Nevertheless, questions such as this are undeniably intuitive.

You are a Rockstar!

I don't understand.

We always have a tablecloth on our kitchen table and when I eat there more times than not I'm wearing jeans or (gasp) my yoga pants. I sure don't consider it fine dining. LOL

Ah. For you, instead of the tablecloth, let's use a different item which might be symbolic of an elegant dining room, vs. a more casual one. How about the uniform of the servers? Let's say you have the tablecloth, but for your table, the dining room steward wore a baseball cap, rolled his sleeves up and chewed gum. Or, substitute something which for you is an example of what you'd find in your local greasy spoon but not in the MDR.

Ah. For you, instead of the tablecloth, let's use a different item which might be symbolic of an elegant dining room, vs. a more casual one. How about the uniform of the servers? Let's say you have the tablecloth, but for your table, the dining room steward wore a baseball cap, rolled his sleeves up and chewed gum. Or, substitute something which for you is an example of what you'd find in your local greasy spoon but not in the MDR.

Google St. Elmo’s Steakhouse Indianapolis ( a top tier restaurant in my town ) . It’s the go to place for Peyton Manning and others.

The waiters are in suits with bow ties and the tables are wearing white tablecloths.

The patrons are in jeans, shorts, Polo type shirts etc. .. some even in ball caps, game day attire or such.