Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

Yes..it's about options. BUT I have clothes that are appropriate for every occasion.

And since I am coming from the frozen wastes of Canada I am going to enjoy NOT having to wear long pants. when I board.:D

I live in Palm Beach. It is 73 degrees right NOW, it was low 80's today, the news has been going nuts over the declining temps, expected to only be 70 New Years Day. What is it in Montreal now?

I just switched from my heavier day time shorts to athletic shorts at home bc they are lighter

I live in Palm Beach. It is 73 degrees right NOW, it was low 80's today, the news has been going nuts over the declining temps, expected to only be 70 New Years Day. What is it in Montreal now?

I just switched from my heavier day time shorts to athletic shorts at home bc they are lighter

We aren't buried in snow yet, but we have enough and more on the way. It's so cold today - 40 C with the the wind chill that it's not even safe to walk my dogs. Huge sulks but understanding in the house.

I would happily trade your weather for ours. And when I go to FLL, guanteed I will not be wearing pants. Skirts probably but if someone wants to wear shorts or anyting else, I don't see the big deal. ;)

Yes..it's about options. BUT I have clothes that are appropriate for every occasion.

And since I am coming from the frozen wastes of Canada I am going to enjoy NOT having to wear long pants. when I board.:D

:D Actually I am in the frozen environs of Boston. Totday's high temperature got to something like 13 degree F.... so, yes, I get it ab out COLD> :D I'm not sure what the low was but tomorrow and next 5-8+ days are not supposed to provide a 'heat wave'.

Yes..it's about options. BUT I have clothes that are appropriate for every occasion. And since I am coming from the frozen wastes of Canada I am going to enjoy NOT having to wear long pants. when I board.:D
:D Actually I am in the frozen environs of Boston. Today's high temperature got to something like 13 degrees F.... so, yes, I get it ab out COLD> :D I'm not sure what the low was but tomorrow and next 5-8+ days are not supposed to provide a 'heat wave'.

:D Actually I am in the frozen environs of Boston. Today's high temperature got to something like 13 degrees F.... so, yes, I get it ab out COLD> :D I'm not sure what the low was but tomorrow and next 5-8+ days are not supposed to provide a 'heat wave'.

You are lucky. that's not cold - just chilling - It's much colder here and in other parts. Just scroll up.

There are no heat waves in winter:').

Wrong

I never said what others should do though I did suggest what they could do if they wish.

Did anyone else say otherwise and I missed it?

How do I put this without it seeming like it's a personal attack.. at the very least, you're repeating yourself every time corrects you.

You *say* that you don't care what people wear to embark and yet when I say I wear shorts for comfort there you and one or two others are saying "well, I wear pants to board and I'm fine".

Do you see where this comes off as dismissive? Probably not but I said it anyways.

I suspect that it is only the fuddle daddies that get their shorts in a knot over this.

The vast majority of cruisers are too busy enjoying their cruise to even have this cross their minds.

I cannot imagine going on a cruise or any other vacation and be so concerned about what attire others may wear.

I can only image how turned off prospective cruisers must be when the read these judgemental comments about shorts and those who might wear be wearing them.

Edited by iancal

If Judge Judy were presiding over this case (thread), here is what she may conclude:

Sometimes the answer to the universe's most complex problems.....are solved with simplicity.

Lets say that...

1) If you are okay with shorts in the MDR, you are a "RockStar"

2) If you detest the idea and never want to see shorts in the MDR, you are a "HardLiner"

Now, you are either a "Rockstar" or a "Hardliner"

There is nothing wrong with being either one. "Rockstars" aren't going to HE double hockeysticks in a handbasket, and "Hardliners" aren't old fogeys or anything else that could be misconscrued as derogatory.

You are simply a "Rockstar" or you are a "Hardliner"

Bailiff....Next Case Please.

I hope you get a few answers, I really like your question.

Myself, and others, provided honest answers but I suppose the question was not asked in the spirit of respectful discussion. It was thrown out disingenuously as a veiled dismissal of those of us who prefer casual comfort on vacation, not to seek an actual answer.

But if HAL wants Gala night to be a true themed evening throughout the ship, as said, I may be encouraged to participate. If it's just a dress theme for the dining room without any other differences from other nights, just not interested. I save special dress for special events.

Just wear dress pants, then there is no question. I do have one question: Do the people who want jeans, shorts, baseball hats, etc while fine dinning EVER want to where "nicer" clothes?? If so where? I am interested in this....

Simple, concise answer: No.

The only "nicer" clothes I own are cargo pants and polo's. I could wear a vneck sweater over the polo?

To me, getting dressed up is not a form of entertainment.

I think that is the essence of this discussion.

Those that like formal/gala/dress up nights think those nights are great fun, Or, they equate fine dinning with dressing up.

Those that prefer casual wear don't see dressing up as great fun or a prerequisite to fine dining.

Those that prefer dress up, see it that as something easily done.

Those that prefer casual, see dressing up as an unnecessary pain.

Edited by RocketMan275

We switched to casual vacations for the reason you cite. Big change from our day to day prior to retirement.

Moved to even more casual only after retirement. Lots of vacation spots. B&B, one stars through six stars, resorts and cruises. We only do casual, we only pack casual.

We meet an Increasing number of retirees on our travels who do exactly the same. I guess we are a bunch of low lifes to those who think dressing up is the be all and end all. We do nor really care what anyone else thinks. We are too busy enjoying ourselves. Looking back we feel a good deal of our dressing up was more about pretence than anything else. Besides, we do not aspire to cafe society.

How do I put this without it seeming like it's a personal attack.t at the very least, you're repeating yourself every time corrects you.

You *say* that you don't care what people wear to embark and yet when I say I wear shorts for comfort there you and one or two others are saying "well, I wear pants to board and I'm fine".

Do you see where this comes off as dismissive? Probably not but I said it anyways.

No, not. :)

T

We switched to casual vacations for the reason you cite. Big change from our day to day prior to retirement.

Moved to even more casual only after retirement. Lots of vacation spots. B&B, one stars through six stars, resorts and cruises. We only do casual, we only pack casual.

We meet an Increasing number of retirees on our travels who do exactly the same. I guess we are a bunch of low lifes to those who think dressing up is the be all and end all. We do nor really care what anyone else thinks. We are too busy enjoying ourselves. Looking back we feel a good deal of our dressing up was more about pretence than anything else. Besides, we do not aspire to cafe society.

Dress codes are for those who are afraid of what people will think if they are either over or under dressed. Why worry about what other passengers on a cruise ship, who you will never encounter again, think?

I can't imagine a more pretentious place than formal/gala night in the MDR on a cruise ship.

You are Rockstars!

Dress codes are for those who are afraid of what people will think if they are either over or under dressed. Why worry about what other passengers on a cruise ship, who you will never encounter again, think?

I can't imagine a more pretentious place than formal/gala night in the MDR on a cruise ship.

You are a Rockstar too!

[

pretenetious perhaps in the days when most ladies wore long dresses and gents wer in tuxedos but pretentious now? ttrhat kind of formal dress is long gone. on ships) ? A great many ladiesnow wear cocktail dresses or sl acks and dressy (or not) tops and we see a scant few tuxedos. Hardly pretenious.

[

pretenetious perhaps in the days when most ladies wore long dresses and gents wer in tuxedos but pretentious now? ttrhat kind of formal dress is long gone. on ships) ? A great many ladiesnow wear cocktail dresses or sl acks and dressy (or not) tops and we see a scant few tuxedos. Hardly pretenious.

That was a long, long time ago .........(In a galaxy far far away)