Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

Thank the Lord that life on board is nothing like some of the sticklers for their own 'standards" on this forum would have you believe.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

There is a time and place(lido deck,shore excursions(especially in warm climates),etc.for shorts.

Obviously we've established that shorts are OK the first night and that's fine.

I have boarded so many ships and cruises in FLL and almost always wear slacks. Not a big deal. It would be very rare for me to have worn even capri pants but usually slacks. I always fly in a decent pair of black slacks and if my luggage is lost, I know I can manage. I few clean tops in my carry on and black slacks, and I c an make do until my luggage tu rns up or I can shop. :)

The topic of shorts in the MDR is like the Berlin Wall....

It will come down brick by brick......

But it will come down and right now, people are convincingly saying...

Shorts in the MDR in Day 1 are A OK. (whether or not you are waiting on luggage)

Only the hardliners are fighting the obvious.

Edited by JRG
typo

VennDiagram:Wearing pants when you board is impractical-especially if(as I mentioned in my last post) you're in a warm climate-Fort Lauderdale especially.

We agree 100% on this.

I absolutely agree that wearing shorts to board the ship in someplace like Fort Lauderdale, makes perfect sense. My point is that it is an individual decision, not something anyone else's opinion should influence ;)

It is highly unlikely you will EVER see me in shorts -- and that is my personal choice. :D Others should be allowed to decide for themselves, not choose based on what random people on the internet suggest they should do.

100% in agreement with you.

The topic of shorts in the MDR is like the Berlin Wall....

It will come down brick by brick......

But it will come down and right now, people are convincingly saying...

Shorts in the MDR in Day 1 are A OK. (whether or not you are waiting on luggage)

Only the hardliners are fighting the obvious.

Yup. I TRULY don't care what they do..slacks or so slacks when boarding..but to try and make that "standard"..well,it's THEIR standard. And they persist with it even when called out.

Much ado about nothing. If someone chooses to wear shorts on board - who cares?

I have no patience to pack different sets of clothing in my carry on. We like to travel light - especially when I was recovering from elbow surgery. Only essentials go in my carry on and nothing more. Now for some, essentials may be outfits - for us it is not ;)

We normally arrive at ports 2 days pre cruise at least so if something goes wrong, we can purchase if need be.

People board in everything from shorts to long skirts to pants. I don't see the big deal. The most important thing is not missing the boat (oops the ship) ;p

I have boarded so many ships and cruises in FLL and almost always wear slacks. Not a big deal. It would be very rare for me to have worn even capri pants but usually slacks. I always fly in a decent pair of black slacks and if my luggage is lost, I know I can manage. I few clean tops in my carry on and black slacks, and I c an make do until my luggage tu rns up or I can shop. :)

I also wear slacks and somehow I manage without melting into a puddle ;p. Somehow I'm not the least bit surprised to see your post commented on. Its like Groundhog Day every day.

I, for one, don’t give a hoot what anyone else wears on the ship or anywhere else. I have enough to do to take care of us!

I don’t wear shorts but do wear cropped pants, capri’s or whatever they’re called. Dressy capri’s, casual capri’s. I, for one, am delighted with the relaxing of the dress code. If I’m on a vacation, I don’t want to have to dress up. Thrilled to be able to leave the silk beaded jackets at home.

DH always boards in FLL in shorts. Coming from the frigid NE to head to the Caribbean, why not. And, on a couple occasions. our luggage didn’t make it by early seating. So he wore his “Bermuda “ shorts and a polo. We always have Fixed Early at a 2 Top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by innlady1

I, for one, don’t give a hoot what anyone else wears on the ship or anywhere else. I have enough to do to take care of us!

I don’t wear shorts but do wear cropped pants, capri’s or whatever they’re called. Dressy capri’s, casual capri’s. I, for one, am delighted with the relaxing of the dress code. If I’m on a vacation, I don’t want to have to dress up. Thrilled to be able to leave the silk beaded jackets at home.

DH always boards in FLL in shorts. Coming from the frigid NE to head to the Caribbean, why not. And, on a couple occasions. our luggage didn’t make it by early seating. So he wore his “Bermuda “ shorts and a polo. We always have Fixed Early at a 2 Top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nodding my head at the comment about the Northeast..From Montreal here..I wear long johns under my clothes through the winter.

Just wear dress pants, then there is no question. I do have one question: Do the people who want jeans, shorts, baseball hats, etc while fine dinning EVER want to where "nicer" clothes?? If so where? I am interested in this....

It’s not a “where “ but a when.. and the answer is when I WANT. I dress to what I want.. not what someone else thinks is nicer etc.

Just because someone doesn’t think shorts are appropriate doesn’t mean they aren’t. There ARE dress shorts for ladies..cute, lacy, pretty .

To be quite honest they are more dressy than what I’ve seen on HAL and the older generation of females. Stretchy pants and Flowy sequined tops with orthopedic shoes. The lacy shorts are fashionable, in style and definitely look better than an “old lady outfit “.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s not a “where “ but a when.. and the answer is when I WANT. I dress to what I want.. not what someone else thinks is nicer etc.

Just because someone doesn’t think shorts are appropriate doesn’t mean they aren’t. There ARE dress shorts for ladies..cute, lacy, pretty .

To be quite honest they are more dressy than what I’ve seen on HAL and the older generation of females. Stretchy pants and Flowy sequined tops with orthopedic shoes. The lacy shorts are fashionable, in style and definitely look better than an “old lady outfit “.

The old lady clothes are fine..if you're an old lady..It's just the older you get the trickier it is to find nice "dressy" clothes. I stay with solid colours-no patterns and very plain some would think..but it works.

The old lady clothes are fine..if you're an old lady..It's just the older you get the trickier it is to find nice "dressy" clothes. I stay with solid colours-no patterns and very plain some would think..but it works.

I agree they are fine. I also think shorts are fine. Just because someone doesn’t think something is appropriate doesn’t mean it isn’t.

I believe it’s a generational and closed minded ( and not keeping up with the times ) thing.

I find it mildly amusing that those screaming loudly about the dress code ( no shorts) are probably ( admittedly in my own mind ) those that need a modern touch in their wardrobe.

We agree 100% on this.

I absolutely agree that wearing shorts to board the ship in someplace like Fort Lauderdale, makes perfect sense. My point is that it is an individual decision, not something anyone else's opinion should influence ;)

It is highly unlikely you will EVER see me in shorts -- and that is my personal choice. :D Others should be allowed to decide for themselves, not choose based on what random people on the internet suggest they should do.

100% in agreement with you.

The grass is green.

Sure it makes sense to board in shorrts in Flolrida but where is it carved in stone one must? I have b oarded in slacks f or many years and have not yet melted away. I haven't even melted off an ounce or two of fta from my hips. We can make choices. Shorts are not the only choice and not for everyone.. Actually there are some middle aged to senior women who likely should opt to never wear shorts . IMO :) Not the most flattering look on all. Not all senior women still have the attractive knees, legs, they might once have had. ;) Some like me choose to not show off features that t are not our best. I almost always board in slacks and plan to continue. That way I KNow I will have a decent pair of slacks to wear to dinn er in the event my luggage is not delivered promptly.

Yes, I know some lucky ladies sttill have beautiful legs well into old age, but some do not. The tirck is to know and be honest with oneself abou t which describes them..

you should all be ashamed -- there is a dress code -- follow if you want or not - enjoy your vacation - inspire of how people dress -- I'm dressing the way I want as Indy so stated and I like to follow the guidelines -- there are options if I don't want to and if all you bring is casual clothing you have options also --

you should all be ashamed -- there is a dress code -- follow if you want or not - enjoy your vacation - inspire of how people dress -- I'm dressing the way I want as Indy so stated and I like to follow the guidelines -- there are options if I don't want to and if all you bring is casual clothing you have options also --

Yes..it's about options. BUT I have clothes that are appropriate for every occasion.

And since I am coming from the frozen wastes of Canada I am going to enjoy NOT having to wear long pants. when I board.:D

Yes..it's about options. BUT I have clothes that are appropriate for every occasion.

And since I am coming from the frozen wastes of Canada I am going to enjoy NOT having to wear long pants. when I board.:D

I really don't see the big deal in how you board. I tend to wear long skirts. They are cool and I like them. ;) They probably don't past muster for certain discerning tastes either - after all, they are not pants ;)

And I totally get the coming from the frozen wastes. It's warm there to us and we enjoy it :)

Edited by kazu

I really don't see the big deal in how you board. I tend to wear long skirts. They are cool and I like them. ;)

And I totally get the coming from the frozen wastes. It's warm there to us and we enjoy it :)

Yes! There are some GREAT long skirts that move the air around and are crazy comfy.And can be jazzed up a little with a nice top if need be.:cool:

The grass is green.

Sure it makes sense to board in shorrts in Flolrida but where is it carved in stone one must? I have b oarded in slacks f or many years and have not yet melted away. I haven't even melted off an ounce or two of fta from my hips. We can make choices. Shorts are not the only choice and not for everyone.. Actually there are some middle aged to senior women who likely should opt to never wear shorts . IMO :) Not the most flattering look on all. Not all senior women still have the attractive knees, legs, they might once have had. ;) Some like me choose to not show off features that t are not our best. I almost always board in slacks and plan to continue. That way I KNow I will have a decent pair of slacks to wear to dinn er in the event my luggage is not delivered promptly.

Yes, I know some lucky ladies sttill have beautiful legs well into old age, but some do not. The tirck is to know and be honest with oneself abou t which describes them..

Some folk care a lot about how they look and spend a lot of time and money on their appearance. That is fine - it is their time and money.

Others dress for comfort and I would never comment on anyone's knees and legs. Why should anyone be uncomfortable and hot because their knees aren't great?

Not everyone has the baggage allowance to take so many changes of clothing.

Some folk care a lot about how they look and spend a lot of time and money on their appearance. That is fine - it is their time and money.

Others dress for comfort and I would never comment on anyone's knees and legs. Why should anyone be uncomfortable and hot because their knees aren't great?

Not everyone has the baggage allowance to take so many changes of clothing.

The comment about peoples' legs is definitely crossing a line.

Don't care if I'm hurting feelings but boarding a cruise is NOT a fashion show.

Just wear dress pants, then there is no question. I do have one question: Do the people who want jeans, shorts, baseball hats, etc while fine dinning EVER want to where "nicer" clothes?? If so where? I am interested in this....

I don’t wear hats in restaurants bc I have a thick mane of hair, so don’t paint us all w a broad brush, but to answer your question I enjoy dressing up a bit for special events and commemorative milestones

1) Some of like to be comfortable rather than try to impress others.

2)She was called out.Quite rightly I might add.

Who said anything about impressing others? It would be quite an empty life to live in an attempt to always please others. IMO

Lots of folks do things a certain way bec ause it pleases them. They do it for themselves. No w that my DH is gone, I live, alone. I wake in the morning and comb my hair et c. I do it for me, No one is here to see if I combed it or not. I am quite certain there are many others here who do similar fo r themselves.

Edited by sail7seas