Drinks Package if Spouse is Non-Drinker

ggo85

RC is only interested in $$$. They don't care about a loyal passenger's situation. You will have to buy two or none. Sad! My opinion is don't spend a dime. Have your libations in the ports and let RCI suffer the loss.

I’d say it’s more to keep them from having to deal with everyone’s exceptions. I’m sure all those who ruined the previous drink package policy would not suddenly rush to explain why only one person in their cabin should have to purchase the package.

I am positive this is definitely not the case, call Royal and get them to confirm it. Buy the package once on board and I am sure you can just buy it for yourself.

Shhhhhh Mic some cruisers dont want it mentioned that many ships will sell just one package onboard even though the web page says all adults must buy or none ;p

Just off the Majesty. The bartenders had a list of all cabins and occupants. If someone wanted to buy the package they would check the list to make sure that everyone in the cabin had the package. I saw 2 people denied the package.

A doctor's note? Why must a doctor's note be required for anyone who doesn't EVER drink alcohol because they just don't like it? Most people who DON'T drink do so because they DON'T like alcohol, not because they have a medical problem.

Besides the fact that alcohol intolerance isn't an allergy..

bosco

The OP has a medical reason to not drink. Whether or not the cruise line accepts it, they can get a note explaining they cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons. It's not an intolerance or a choice for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OP has a medical reason to not drink. Whether or not the cruise line accepts it, they can get a note explaining they cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons. It's not an intolerance or a choice for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cruise line doesn't have to accept the doctor's note. Should they yes. Do they have to and make the exception? No. There are doctor's who will write the note saying there is a medical reasons when there's clearly not. The cruise line knows that. Rather than make a case by case decision they have decided to put a rule on place that it's all or nothing. Sucks but since people decided to not play by the original rules, everyone is affected

I have never heard of alcohol being a contraindication to blood thinning meds.

Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years or so since we have been on a RCCL cruise, or maybe I am missing something. Why is it "annoying " to buy as you go go. You still have to order the drink you want on the drink pkg. and wait for it to be made and sign a receipt (the total says $0.00) just like when you do NOT have the drink pkg. I am confused.:confused:

Are you a doctor? I'm certainly not. But I know that warfarin is a common anticoagulant, and it doesn't take much effort to find out that alcohol consumption isn't recommended. See the Precautions information from here: https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3949/warfarin-oral/details

Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years or so since we have been on a RCCL cruise, or maybe I am missing something. Why is it "annoying " to buy as you go go. You still have to order the drink you want on the drink pkg. and wait for it to be made and sign a receipt (the total says $0.00) just like when you do NOT have the drink pkg. I am confused.:confused:

I never signed any receipts on my Recent Ovation Cruise. Much better than having to sign receipts for a zero amount.

They had a special pre-cruise on my next sailing, but you had to purchase a non-alcoholic package for the 2nd person who doesn't drink. If I were to purchase once I get on board, I would have to pay full price and not get the special pre-cruise price.

If those are the conditions, then it is not so special.

I’d say it’s more to keep them from having to deal with everyone’s exceptions. I’m sure all those who ruined the previous drink package policy would not suddenly rush to explain why only one person in their cabin should have to purchase the package.

Agreed. It was the sharing of drink packages that has led to the policy change.

Just off the Majesty. The bartenders had a list of all cabins and occupants. If someone wanted to buy the package they would check the list to make sure that everyone in the cabin had the package. I saw 2 people denied the package.

Buy the drinks as they go is the solution then.:D

I never signed any receipts on my Recent Ovation Cruise. Much better than having to sign receipts for a zero amount.

I admit there is a convenience to just swiping your card as opposed to having to sign a receipt, but it really is minor.

Perhaps the OP doesn't want the hubby to know what and how much she does drink !! :p

So what if you don't drink soda, specialty coffee or fresh squeezed juice? You are still being forced to pay for something that you don't want! Disgusting money making tactic. Such a turn off.

That every other major cruise line already does. Royal was one of the last. [emoji849]

Same. And I’m my MIL’s caregiver and went to almost every one of her Coag Clinic appts for 5 years.

Are you a doctor? I'm certainly not. But I know that warfarin is a common anticoagulant, and it doesn't take much effort to find out that alcohol consumption isn't recommended. See the Precautions information from here: https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3949/warfarin-oral/details

Doesn’t say what you’re saying.

“Limit alcoholic beverages. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about how much alcohol you may safely drink.”

https://www.webmd.com/dvt/dvt-alcohol

Is an interesting read. At the end it says if you’re a regular drinker you’ll want to have levels checked more often.

My MIL’s doctors and Coag Clinic wouldn’t have written her a note to get her out of buying such a package. Because alcohol wasn’t contraindicated for her warfarin use.

Doesn’t say what you’re saying.

“Limit alcoholic beverages. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about how much alcohol you may safely drink.”

https://www.webmd.com/dvt/dvt-alcohol

Is an interesting read. At the end it says if you’re a regular drinker you’ll want to have levels checked more often.

My MIL’s doctors and Coag Clinic wouldn’t have written her a note to get her out of buying such a package. Because alcohol wasn’t contraindicated for her warfarin use.

The link to WebMD I provided also says:

"This medication may cause stomach bleeding. Daily use of alcohol while using this medicine will increase your risk for stomach bleeding and may also affect how this medication works."

I don't know about you, but I don't think increasing the risk of stomach bleeding or possibly altering the effectiveness of the anticoagulant by electing to drink alcohol is a good thing.

This site says, "Avoid drinking alcohol."

https://www.drugs.com/warfarin.html

This site says, "Avoid alcohol."

https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00682

This link on the FDA's web site is to the product information for Coumadin:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2010/009218s108lbl.pdf

See the section on "Information for patients" on page 20, and I quote, "Avoid alcohol consumption."

Anyway, let's not pretend it's perfectly fine and risk-free, and there's no information to suggest otherwise. It seems wise to adopt the conservative approach and simply not drink alcohol while taking an anticoagulant such as warfarin.

Thanks for all the replies . . . well, most of them.

I'm not going to get into a medical debate but, if you're on blood thinners, the effects of alcohol are heightened. My DH's MD recommended he not consume alcohol and he does not. Prior to blood-thinners, he MIGHT have had a glass of wine every other day. He never was much of a drinker -- never anywhere close to making a package valuable for him.

At the end of the day, it really shouldn't matter why a person does not drink -- only that they don't. The fact is that there are many situations in which one person in a cabin drinks enough to make the package worthwhile and the other does not. What's sad is that cheating is so prevalent that RCCL and other lines have to take this "one package fits all" approach. Or they don't care and just hope that folks will pay the extra money for the extra adults, even if they are non-drinkers.

I don't "hide" what I drink. I spend most of the time on the cruise in the company of my DH, so he is well aware of what I drink. I've calculated the amount (assuming I get a discount for the package) and I break even over the course of the cruise if I buy a package -- if it's port-intensive, I probably lose a few $$ and, if it's sea intensive, probably come out ahead.

I like the speed of just having my card swiped -- not having to wait for a printout and then sign. And, I don't have to deal with the issue of whether to add extra tips for each drink. Overall, I find a package generally equal from a financial standpoint and more convenient.

I guess the answer is to use my D+ benefits in the evening and pay as I go the rest of the time. I can live with that -- and save $$.:D

Edited by ggo85

My DH can't drink alcohol due to medication he takes (blood thinners) -- hasn't had a single alcoholic drink in 13 years. He doesn't drink sodas or bottled water or specialty coffees or fruit juice -- just plain coffee and tap water. I like the flexibility of the drinks package, especially being able to order wine with dinner without an additional charge (or w/o having to carry wine from a bar into the DR using my Diamond evening drinks) and having the cold Corona by the pool.

I understand the new "rules" for buying a drinks package -- all passengers over 21 must purchase the alcohol package.

Are there any options in my situation other than paying hundreds of dollars for something that won't be used (we're NOT doing that) or my buying by the drink? If I have to buy by the drink, I'll buy a lot less than the cost of a drink package -- and drink a lot less.:) But it will be annoying to have to pay as I go.:(

Hi there. You’re incorrect in stating that everyone in a cabin over the age of 21 must purchase an alcohol package on RCL ships if one person has already Here is the policy. If one person in the cabin purchases an alcohol package then everyone else is now required to purchase some type of package. For example my sister and I are on Independence of the Seas this month and she purchased the alcohol package and so I purchased the classic soda package for just $8.50 per day because I hardly ever drink alcohol on a cruise. I arranged that by calling RCL customer service. If you try to do it online it does not allow that flexibility. So my advice is simple. Just call RCL and you can purchase different packages and prepay. Have a great cruise.

I am now convinced NO ONE at RCCL knows what the heck they are talking about. PERIOD.\

One says YES the other NO. The website says NO but if you purchase plans in a certain order it works???

Still haven't gotten any response from either of two emails sent last week after getting contradictory information from two phone calls...

bosco

I am now convinced NO ONE at RCCL knows what the heck they are talking about. PERIOD.\

One says YES the other NO. The website says NO but if you purchase plans in a certain order it works???

Still haven't gotten any response from either of two emails sent last week after getting contradictory information from two phone calls...

bosco

I can personally confirm I was able to purchase the deluxe for only my wife just 1 week ago for our March cruise. I had the refreshment ordered for me, and my 2 kids both have the soda package. When I called in, I said I prefer not to drink, and he just said I needed some package (soda or refreshment) for my wife to be able to purchase the deluxe. Since I already had the refreshment it was perfectly fine.

It looks like I could go online now and cancel my refreshment package if I so choose, still on the fence on whether I even want that. I will not be sharing (even if I were so inclined to steal, my wife made it clear when I decided not to buy the alcohol package, she will not get any drinks for me), and may buy 1 or 2 drinks here or there, but will just not get the benefit of the deluxe package.

We were very lucky on our last two cruises that I was able to purchase the deluxe pkg for myself and DH didn't have to buy anything because he doesn't drink alcohol. He also doesn't drink specialty coffees (neither do I) nor sodas... So unfortunately for our upcoming cruise I called and I did purchase the deluxe pkg for myself and was informed that we also had to purchase the refreshment pkg for him (I may cancel, but they were on sale so I still need to crunch the numbers and can always cancel). Since he doesn't drink the specialty coffees or soda and always just drinks the coffee, tea and water that is "free" on the cruise, this will really come down to my figuring out if it is worth both of those (on sale) pkgs for this cruise. I drink wine (not mixed drinks) and I do enjoy the freshly squeezed OJ, but rccl's regular OJ is very good. I don't drink specialty coffee but I do drink a lot of water and I like the convenience of the bottled water. So as many of you have said, it comes down to convenience and figuring out if the two (on sale) pkgs are worth it in order for me to have a pkg that I will use for the wine that I prefer, fresh OJ and water.