Navigator of the seas drydock

On 2/5/2019 at 9:25 AM, atricks said:

We took advantage of the Kids Sail free and got a guaranteed room on the April 12th sailing (Ends on Easter Sunday). and we'll have a 4 year old with us 

Two things, first, do they do anything special for easter (Egg hunts the day before, etc?)  

But I'm more concerned with the new Adventure Ocean, the blurbs about it are new style of "Open Free Play". 

We've done a RC Cruise before where they were split into the age groups, but the refurb doesn't seem like they will have the room for it.   It looks like the new Adventure ocean takes over the old space of Johnny Rockets, since they are moving the fitness center to the old AO location, so basically shrinking the size of Adventure Ocean.    The old fitness center (by the Solarium) is now just new cabins.   I'm a bit unsure of how this will work, and it will be hard to tell since this seems like a first for Royal.  

But anyone who goes to the earlier sailings before April 12th, information on how this new kids area is actually set up would be and works appreciated.

Oh boy, now I'm worried too! We are sailing with our 4 yr old on the Feb 24th sailing so I'll try and remember to come back and post here what happens. We've been watching YouTube videos of AO to get her excited about it, it better look mostly the same! 

2 hours ago, jennadanielle said:

Oh no! I hadn't considered that they could cancel our sailing. My Cruise Planner is also showing dates as Feb 24-Feb 25.

I do know that their website has been jacked up all day so I'm praying this is just a glitch. What happens when they cancel a cruise?? 

I have been scheduled to be on the first two cruises actually after a dry dock, and they were both cancelled due to longer than expected work.  What will happen if this is the case, is that they will give you price protection on a VERY few number of other cruse itineraries that you can switch to for the same rate or cancel for a full refund.  These sailings will almost be immediately sold out as everyone tries to rebook at once, so then you will be forced to chose refund or pay the prevailing rate for a cruse that is a very short time away. (usually meaning super expensive)  They will reimburse a VERY small amount towards travel expenses, but not even close enough to cover for most.  We ended up having to chose an Oasis sailing, which was 2 nights less total, for the prevailing rate and was about 3400 more. Wasn't too fun dealing with it all but we of course had a good time once aboard.  We had just been on oasis earlier that year but oh well.  Its definitely the risk you take being on an immediate sailing following a dry dock.

18 minutes ago, jennadanielle said:

Fingers and toes crossed! We had no idea Navigator was even getting a refurb when we booked it. The dry dock wasn't even scheduled at the time I don't think. 

Trying to think positive! 

Same thing when we booked. I wonder when they make change announcements... 

7 hours ago, Powersboyee2 said:

I have been scheduled to be on the first two cruises actually after a dry dock, and they were both cancelled due to longer than expected work.  What will happen if this is the case, is that they will give you price protection on a VERY few number of other cruse itineraries that you can switch to for the same rate or cancel for a full refund.  These sailings will almost be immediately sold out as everyone tries to rebook at once, so then you will be forced to chose refund or pay the prevailing rate for a cruse that is a very short time away. (usually meaning super expensive)  They will reimburse a VERY small amount towards travel expenses, but not even close enough to cover for most.  We ended up having to chose an Oasis sailing, which was 2 nights less total, for the prevailing rate and was about 3400 more. Wasn't too fun dealing with it all but we of course had a good time once aboard.  We had just been on oasis earlier that year but oh well.  Its definitely the risk you take being on an immediate sailing following a dry dock.

Powersboyee, how close to sailing did they announce the cancelation? 

Seems to me there would have to be pretty extraordinary circumstances to cancel any sailing, but especially a sailing for a ship coming off a refurb.  Every day not sailing is a huge loss of income.  I think the glitch with the number of days was an IT thing (SHOCKING) since cruise planner and check-in was messed up, too.  And last night- i had no cruises showing at all and I know that wasn't true.  

I am very confident that there will be a sailing on the 24th and that i will be on it.  If Hooked or a water slide are not available- i will still be on vacation.

Thanks for the photos, Lloyd.  I have enjoyed seeing what is being done and can't wait to see it in person!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Hmmm. That pool deck has a lot of work to be completed in two weeks. 😐

Yup, but dry dock and new construction pics always look like that ... then somehow it all comes together last minute.  I can 100% guarantee there will still be shipyard workers on the first cruise after dry dock, finishing up detail work, but hopefully it won't be too intrusive or noticeable to passengers.  Shipyards always undercut the time needed for these refits to make their bid look good to cruise lines, and cruise lines obviously know the work never gets completely finished, but are willing to turn the other cheek for the low bid.   It's a vicious circle and unfortunately it's the passengers that sometimes pay the price.  If a cruise had to get canceled, I'm pretty sure that would fall on the shipyard to compensate the cruise line since they didn't meet the bid finish timeline.  In this case Royal Caribbean is part owner of the shipyard (along with Carnival Corp) so in a sense they would be paying themselves.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eroller said:

Yup, but dry dock and new construction pics always look like that ... then somehow it all comes together last minute.  I can 100% guarantee there will still be shipyard workers on the first cruise after dry dock, finishing up detail work, but hopefully it won't be too intrusive or noticeable to passengers.  Shipyards always undercut the time needed for these refits to make their bid look good to cruise lines, and cruise lines obviously know the work never gets completely finished, but are willing to turn the other cheek for the low bid.   It's a vicious circle and unfortunately it's the passengers that sometimes pay the price.  If a cruise had to get canceled, I'm pretty sure that would fall on the shipyard to compensate the cruise line since they didn't meet the bid finish timeline.  In this case Royal Caribbean is part owner of the shipyard (along with Carnival Corp) so in a sense they would be paying themselves.  

I'm hoping for it to be like the Adventure. Everything was ready last Feb when she came out of dry dock, although it was not as large of a makeover as this one.. fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I'm hoping for it to be like the Adventure. Everything was ready last Feb when she came out of dry dock, although it was not as large of a makeover as this one.. fingers crossed. 

That is awesome!  I hope so too.  I'm thinking with each Royal Amplified ship refurbishment they only get better and more efficient.  Hopefully after the dry dock there is nothing but minor finish work to be completed, which is typical and most passengers won't even know it's happening.  

On 2/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, lr657 said:

We're on the 3/1 cruise We're also hoping that dry dock is completed as scheduled. There are things that show on the deck plans that haven't appeared on the Cruise Planner such as Hooked. Makes me feel pretty sure that if we do sail, the work will not yet be totally completed.

I am on April 12 and Hooked is also not available in Cruise Planner...so thinking they just haven't updated it. Don't expect them to have the venue closed that long. 

On 2/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, twangster said:

I'm on the first cruise post-dry dock and I'm preparing myself for some things not being finished.  

Based on the one day cruise duration listed for that cruise, I'm also preparing for them cancelling the 2/24 sailing to finish the work.  I hope that isn't the case, but booking a ship right after dry dock always carries that risk.  

So glad I chose the last of the 9-night ABC itineraries...I would hope that just under 2 months after the completion of the dry dock, everything should be operational and all the new venues and bells and whistles will be running smoothly. Looking forward to those who report back the first few sailings to hear their thoughts. I hope everything is done and working for everyone! 

54 minutes ago, cot427 said:

I am on April 12 and Hooked is also not available in Cruise Planner...so thinking they just haven't updated it. Don't expect them to have the venue closed that long. 

I'm hoping this is the case for our 3/1 sailing too. If not, we will be on Mariner shortly after this cruise, so we'll be able to experience Hooked on Mariner instead. 

56 minutes ago, cot427 said:

So glad I chose the last of the 9-night ABC itineraries

At the time we booked Navigator the dry-dock wasn't yet planned. We would likely not have booked the 2nd sailing after dry dock if we were aware. We're hoping for the best but if everything isn't completed, we will still enjoy ourselves. After all, it's better than being home!

1 minute ago, lr657 said:

I'm hoping this is the case for our 3/1 sailing too. If not, we will be on Mariner shortly after this cruise, so we'll be able to experience Hooked on Mariner instead. 

At the time we booked Navigator the dry-dock wasn't yet planned. We would likely not have booked the 2nd sailing after dry dock if we were aware. We're hoping for the best but if everything isn't completed, we will still enjoy ourselves. After all, it's better than being home!

True! When I booked the drydock wasn’t announced either. But I’m so glad they are doing it...I’m so excited for the enhancements, new bars and attractions! ABC itinerary has been on my list for a while too!

Enjoy your cruise, can’t wait to hear about these first few sailings!

4 minutes ago, cot427 said:

True! When I booked the drydock wasn’t announced either. But I’m so glad they are doing it...I’m so excited for the enhancements, new bars and attractions! ABC itinerary has been on my list for a while too!

Enjoy your cruise, can’t wait to hear about these first few sailings!

I will report back. We sailed Navigator the first week of March last year. This will be our 4th sailing on her. Can't wait to see all the changes!