Grandeur unscheduled stop

Just my thought on the extra 2 points. If you didn't pay for two extra days why would Royal give you two extra points? I would certainly be happy getting two extra days. If its free it's for me LOL This cruise experienced bad weather, noro and now mechanical issue. For many not the best cruise. But there are some things that we can not control. I have experienced the opposite. Many yrs back Explorer came in a day late because the Captain chose to return to a port to take a sick passenger back. We were on the next cruise and our cruise was shortened by one day. They did give us the extra point and gave us some onboard credit for the day missed. We were happy with this. Yes some rearranging had to be done for most. No one asked for discounts for next cruise etc. I am sure the patient's family was happy with the Captains decision to go back. Right decision was made.

After questioning the Loyalty Ambassador, we heard that we will not be earning the extra points.

The Loyalty Ambassadors don't know. It's a corporate decision. I asked the same thing on a shortened Majesty cruise due to their relief efforts and was told no. They gave us the extra point. The Liberty and Oasis did the same. You'll get your extra points.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that we are doing two extra days, but this was due to a royal mechanical problem and not weather related. There were things planned when we got home that now we can not attend. I would not expect any monetary enumeration but since these were indeed two days that I sailed felt that two points was fair.

Yes, she could. Nothing wrong with the ship We were just stuck at sea during Harvey, and were running short on provisions and they did let people disembark and leave the cruise in Miami that had a passport, to fly home instead of staying onboard to return to Galveston. Our car was in Galveston so we stayed onboard.

With a passport, you are not limited to a closed loop cruise.

Another good reason to have a passport (that will stir up some people).

Also, I read another thread here where people were saying they don't bring their passport off of the ship. When I went on Carnival, we had to show our passports to get back on the ship in Nassau. Is that no longer how it works?

You need a photo id.

Driver's license will work.

Unless they get a waiver from PVSA, probably very few folks will pony up the $300 and fly home early. Very unlikely RCI will pay for any flights.

Or if they have a passport, then not limited to closed loop.

Obviously it depends on your budget and their compensation, but I say go and enjoy Baltimore and DC! Baltimore is an underrated destination, and DC is just a joy in every way (except for driving...). Have fun!

Everyone has a right to their own experience, but I'm still having a great time. I firmly believe that the biggest determining factor for whether you have a good time or not is your own attitude. They're still feeding me good food, I can still get alcohol when I want it, the toilets all work and I'm washing my hands every chance I get. It could be a ton worse (I could be one of the ones having to clean the ship or listen to people complain - some about totally justifiable things and others about trivial things in hopes of getting something free out of the cruise line). They can't control the weather and they have a lot less to do with noro outbreaks than the passengers do.

It might even get sunny for part of today - I've got hopes :)

I thought you had to have a passport to even board the ship the first day. Maybe I missed something there. Lol

Don't you need a passport to board the ship the first day? Or have I just missed something? Lol

No, you don't need a passport if you are a natural born US citizen on a closed end cruise based out of the US.

No, you don't need a passport if you are a natural born US citizen on a closed end cruise based out of the US.

You don't have to be a natural born citizen, naturalized citizens just use their naturalization certificate in place of a birth certificate

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that we are doing two extra days, but this was due to a royal mechanical problem and not weather related. There were things planned when we got home that now we can not attend. I would not expect any monetary enumeration but since these were indeed two days that I sailed felt that two points was fair.

I agree that they should at least throw you that bone...after all, it doesn't really cost them anything, but sure would earn them some good will as a result...

There are people ill onboard but the delay was caused by a busted port side steering gear (whatever that is) and didn't have anything to do with the illness. There would be no reason to delay the ship because people are sick - if anything they'd want to get them off sooner rather than later.

I have been following this discussion. This morning I read an article that claimed that the Miami Herald ran an article which said that a RCL spokesperson says that this late return to Baltimore is due to 50 people becoming ill???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is true. The Miami Herald article is here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/article194336544.html It references an article in the Baltimore Sun, but completely leaves out the mechanical issue, and the real reason for the delay, reported there: http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/bs-md-royal-caribbean-cruise-sick-20180111-story.html We're on Lady G on 1 February, and looking forward to a fantastic cruise!

According to the RCI site, when on a closed end cruise, if a US citizen, you must have either a US passport or (a valid driver's license AND your birth certificate). Would seem to be easier to carry a passport than a birth certificate, especially if you ever want to visit outside the USA. Up to you.

Correct. I was on a closed end cruise from New York last summer and was denied checking in due to the fact that I forgot my passport and only had a driver license. My son had to come from Philadelphia with my passport so I could board.

According to the RCI site, when on a closed end cruise, if a US citizen, you must have either a US passport or (a valid driver's license AND your birth certificate). Would seem to be easier to carry a passport than a birth certificate, especially if you ever want to visit outside the USA. Up to you.

I agree, though I think most who go the BC route just don't want to spend the money on a passport.

This is true. The Miami Herald article is here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/article194336544.html It references an article in the Baltimore Sun, but completely leaves out the mechanical issue, and the real reason for the delay, reported there: http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/bs-md-royal-caribbean-cruise-sick-20180111-story.html We're on Lady G on 1 February, and looking forward to a fantastic cruise!

Yes, I thought it was the strangest thing to see that report.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Miami Herald article has been updated to say the delay was caused by a mechanical problem.

This story has been corrected to show the reason for the ship's delayed return was mechanical error, not the sickness.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/article194336544.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by Mcdonaldbam
Add quote from article

FWIW, the Herald piece has been corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk