Major earthquake in the Carribean

dandee2

Just curious. Do ship advise passenger of possible Tsunami at Sea?? I guess there is no danger to ship and mostly on the coast but would like to know.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/magnitude-7-point-8-earthquake-strikes-caribbean-tsunami-waves-possible-usgs.html

http://www.tsunami.gov/events/PHEB/2018/01/10/18010000/1/WECA41/WECA41.txt

Tks.

Edited by dandee2
Add a new link

Just got off reflection yesterday morning after stops in grand Cayman and cozumel. Can't help wondering how this would have affected the trip. I've been reading tho we wouldn't have felt it at sea but could have in port. Hope they are all well in the surrounding areas!

Edited by Crewjay123@aol.com

We were in the Silhouette, Jan 2015 when we were passing by San Juan around midnight & we had just returned to our cabin on the 10th deck when we felt a large thud underneath like we had hit something. It turned out to an earthquake 126 miles east of San Juan 6.2 quake. When we talked to the Ships Engineer the next day he thought we had blown an engine & it woke up the Captain. They were later advised by Miami that it had been an earthquake, so sometimes there is no warning.

We were docked in Acapulco once when we experienced a rather large earthquake. Since we were in port until 11 PM that night, many passengers were out and about. We decided to stay onboard and so did 2 of our table mates. It hit during dinner. Being from California, I said, if I didn't know better, I would say we just had an earthquake. I asked the waiter if he knew but he said it was a large wave. Well, anybody that has been docked in Acapulco knows that there really aren't large waves where the ships dock.

The captain never made any announcements but when the passengers started pouring back to the ship, not long afterwards, they stated it was a pretty sizable earthquake while on land.

If a tsunami passes a ship at sea, you'd never even know it. They only become a problem when approaching a landmass.

Just so everyone knows there’s more than one cause for tsunami

The one that the Caribbean worries about is If The south side of Monserrat collapses into the sea. Another is Kick-em Jenny north west of Grenada

http://uwiseismic.com/General.aspx?id=53

Edited by A Sixth?

I just got off Crown Princess yesterday morning.

We were in Honduras (Roatan) on Tuesday and Cozumel on Wednesday.

There was no mention in board about the event.

I haven’t dug around online yet (connecting flight home cancelled and still not home), but I wondered about Tsunami risk as many ships in Caribbean docked in ports before warning was lifted. How did they know it was safe to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums