About the Daily Service Charge

JosephMusk

Since it has been reported there are very long lines at the customer relations desk near the end of the cruise, I assume many in the line are there to get their service charges removed from their accounts(due to the poor service as reported on cruise critic reviews).

When would be the best time to get my service charges removed? I am thinking at the beginning of the cruise is best. I will give the Seaside crew a chance to redeem the service charges by way of excellent service. From the reviews I don't think the service levels will be there. If my expectations of quality and service are reasonably met I can always restore the service charges.

I will be sailing on the Seaside in the near future and the reservation process via the call center and the website has been abysmal. I am already frustrated with the whole process and suspect things won't be much better once on board after reading all the negative reviews

Nothing worse than standing in line.

When would be the best time to get my service charges removed?

So easy answer, when you pass the customer relations desk and the line is short or not existent. Usually at the first day the line is long with people who want to handle this immediately and on the last night people complain about errors in the bill.

When would be the best time to get my service charges removed? I am thinking at the beginning of the cruise is best. I will give the Seaside crew a chance to redeem the service charges by way of excellent service. From the reviews I don't think the service levels will be there. If my expectations of quality and service are reasonably met I can always restore the service charges.

I will be sailing on the Seaside in the near future and the reservation process via the call center and the website has been abysmal. I am already frustrated with the whole process and suspect things won't be much better once on board after reading all the negative reviews

Nothing worse than standing in line.

My question to you questionbaklabending - and I know this topic is always controversial - do you TRULY intend to, or will you REALLY stand in line to re-instate the service charges - particularly based on your very last sentence?

Or are you justifying the reason to remove the service charges, and never have to put them back on?

It's a sincere reflective question I pose - and apologies in advance if it comes off harsh.

NB: I do appreciate there are different viewpoints on whether/when Service Charges are deserved.

• Me - despite being an Aussie (where tipping isn't the norm) - I feel the staff do deserve it by default due to their working conditions and salaries, and I will tip more to those I come in direct contact with if their service is greater than my expectations.
  • I do understand others feel it should be given only in exceptional circumstances

My question to you questionbaklabending - and I know this topic is always controversial - do you TRULY intend to, or will you REALLY stand in line to re-instate the service charges - particularly based on your very last sentence?

Or are you justifying the reason to remove the service charges, and never have to put them back on?

It's a sincere reflective question I pose - and apologies in advance if it comes off harsh.

NB: I do appreciate there are different viewpoints on whether/when Service Charges are deserved.

•  
  • Me - despite being an Aussie (where tipping isn't the norm) - I feel the staff do deserve it by default due to their working conditions and salaries, and I will tip more to those I come in direct contact with if their service is greater than my expectations.

• I do understand others feel it should be given only in exceptional circumstances

I will second this.

We would not remove the daily service charge but would only give the additional tip if we get good service from an individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will second this.

We would not remove the daily service charge but would only give the additional tip if we get good service from an individual.

My question is: Are those of you who are not accustommed to paying tips, paying a higher/different cruise price than the rest of because tips will not be paid?

My question is: Are those of you who are not accustommed to paying tips, paying a higher/different cruise price than the rest of because tips will not be paid?

We are paying whatever the U.K. price is plus the daily service charge on board $12.50 per person per day.

There is something in the UK for NCL where all the service charge is included.

We are used to paying tips as travel a lot however it is a much lower rate in U.K. approx 12.5%.

In France service is included usually in restaurants etc.

I find it really hard to believe that people cannot afford to pay tips/service charge/staff remuneration (call it what you will). I am also saddened that people plan on complaining about poor service before they even set foot on board.

I have never removed such a charge, and never will. If something strikes me as being bad enough I will complain loudly and make a real fuss and get the issue solved.

If it's something that cant be solved, well getting a few quid back wouldn't make it all better would it?

Strange question, certainly paying tips or not is not effecting the cruise price because it has nothing to do with the cruise company.

Or if you talk about the Service Charge, this question can only be answered by MSC. As we know, all catalogue prices of cruise companies are different in all countries, depending on the things like harbour taxes, service charges and so on.

And at the end almost everybody is paying a higher/lower/different price because the prices change at least every week. Maybe not in all markets, but in MSCs big markets Italy and Germany and a couple of other European countries.

I will complain loudly and make a real fuss and get the issue solved.

If it's something that cant be solved, well getting a few quid back wouldn't make it all better would it?

I believe in providing opportunity to resolve a situation but I’m not going to get loud, make a fuss, waste finite time, or chase the issue on vacation. I will let appropriate party know once and ask for what would be appropriate resolution. (Most people never say what it is they want as resolution and that’s a big problem)

Should an issue persist I claw back money because it’s the only language corporations understand. If you pay full amount and go away unhappy they don’t care.

I believe in providing opportunity to resolve a situation but I’m not going to get loud, make a fuss, waste finite time, or chase the issue on vacation. I will let appropriate party know once and ask for what would be appropriate resolution. (Most people never say what it is they want as resolution and that’s a big problem)

Should an issue persist I claw back money because it’s the only language corporations understand. If you pay full amount and go away unhappy they don’t care.

I agree though I await a flaming.

I am on a cruise where probably 70% of passengers are from the US/Can - They were given the opportunity after booking to have the tips/DSC

included ie paid by the line. As there is not problem in the US/Can changing a booking I guess many will have taken them up on the offer. Who wouldnt!

I asked the company in the UK when they were going to offer to pay the Tips/DSC for people booking in other countries and they said never. As more CC members mentioned it I asked again and again they said no. I said oh well thats ok I will just cancel the DSC.

At that point they suddenly became caring not about

me being unhappy, but about their staff being unhappy. They really dont care at all about unhappy passengers.

Hello,

I am from Brazil and my family and I bought 4 cabins for the cruise MSC Divina that goes to Caribbean (departure day 01/25 from Miami). After the purchase we found out that we will have to pay a service fee of $ 12,50 per person per day.

Without wishing to enter into the moral question of whether it is right to pay the service fee or not (because this is a personal matter), I would like to know if it is possible not to pay this fee on board and if there is a need to justify the reason, and if they can refuse to withdraw the fee and etc.

Thank you in advance!

Well I certainly hope your employer decides he is not “MORALLY” obligated to pay you . Do you understand this is their hard earned money? No lets not enter into a moral discussion!

I know. I'm not saying that I won't be paying it. But we're in seven adults, and at our country tipping almost doesn't exist. Anyway, I'll pay it. Even if it's a lot on our currency (it's almost half of the minimum wage).

I'm just asking in case someone that will travel with me don't want to pay it.

REALLY! I certainly hope your employer decides he is not morally obligated to pay you (and those of your co- travellers). Would you like your salary being taken away....mmm. Seven adults demand seven times the amount of work from crew members....

REALLY! I certainly hope your employer decides he is not morally obligated to pay you (and those of your co- travellers). Would you like your salary being taken away....mmm. Seven adults demand seven times the amount of work from crew members....

That argument really doesn't work well because their employer is still paying their salary. It's just not their full expected take-home pay.

You can make a good case for not removing the service charge but the one you made is not it.

that argument really doesn't work well because their employer is still paying their salary. It's just not their full expected take-home pay.

You can make a good case for not removing the service charge but the one you made is not it.

omg

• 2 months later...

The end of the Daily Service Charge is very near, at least for European cruisers. This is relevant for all companies, but it is MSC who has lost some cases in the last weeks.

In Germany a court decided in favour of consumer advocates that it is not allowed to automatically add the DSC to the passengers account if the passenger has not in advance expressly allowed the cruise company to do so.

In Austria MSC avoided a court decision by allowing passengers to claim back the DSC also after returning home from the cruise.

The end of the Daily Service Charge is very near, at least for European cruisers. This is relevant for all companies, but it is MSC who has lost some cases in the last weeks.

In Germany a court decided in favour of consumer advocates that it is not allowed to automatically add the DSC to the passengers account if the passenger has not in advance expressly allowed the cruise company to do so.

In Austria MSC avoided a court decision by allowing passengers to claim back the DSC also after returning home from the cruise.

The German case might prove to be the solution. If a passenger refuses to pay the DSC when booking then his/her cabin can be placed in the new “No Tipping” section of the ship. This section of the ship shall be strictly self-service with dining in the buffet only. If German law allows the passenger to refuse the DSC when booking the cruise then MSC is not under any obligation to provide cabin service or dining room service.

I wonder how many of you who are planning on removing the DSC are prepared to be honest enough, at the beginning of the cruise, to inform your cabin steward and dining room waiters that you have no intention of tipping them? After all, that would the fair and honest way of dealing with it.:halo:

The German case might prove to be the solution. If a passenger refuses to pay the DSC when booking then his/her cabin can be placed in the new “No Tipping” section of the ship. This section of the ship shall be strictly self-service with dining in the buffet only. If German law allows the passenger to refuse the DSC when booking the cruise then MSC is not under any obligation to provide cabin service or dining room service.

This is not possible. MSC cannot withdraw anything because the DSC is not paid. As far as I understand it, MSC can solve this problem by letting sign the guest the permission to add the daily DSC during the boarding process. But I really hope they solve it in the way that they just add it in the cruise price like the others do. Of cause the cruises will become more expensive then, but it makes things simple for everyone.

I wonder how many of you who are planning on removing the DSC are prepared to be honest enough, at the beginning of the cruise, to inform your cabin steward and dining room waiters that you have no intention of tipping them? After all, that would the fair and honest way of dealing with it.:halo:

This is the old discussion. I am usually tipping (so far everytime) the cabin steward and the room waiter very discreet (I know the can lose their job if they keep this money) at the end of the cruise. I would never tip anybody else, for example bartenders. The DSC I pay full/half/none (all happened) depending on the overall performance of MSC compared to the price I paid.

But everybody certainly can handle it his own way, I don´t care. I just would prefer to make things simple, one price that is final, no tips, no DSC whatever.

This is not possible. MSC cannot withdraw anything because the DSC is not paid. As far as I understand it, MSC can solve this problem by letting sign the guest the permission to add the daily DSC during the boarding process. But I really hope they solve it in the way that they just add it in the cruise price like the others do. Of cause the cruises will become more expensive then, but it makes things simple for everyone.

This is the old discussion. I am usually tipping (so far everytime) the cabin steward and the room waiter very discreet (I know the can lose their job if they keep this money) at the end of the cruise. I would never tip anybody else, for example bartenders. The DSC I pay full/half/none (all happened) depending on the overall performance of MSC compared to the price I paid.

But everybody certainly can handle it his own way, I don´t care. I just would prefer to make things simple, one price that is final, no tips, no DSC whatever.

NOT SO BELLA:

I don't know where you are getting your information but it is incorrect. MSC can simply implement a new policy of "No Frills" cabins...and there is nothing the German government can do about it. You can give the consumer a choice of paying the DSC or not paying it. If they choose not to pay they can be assigned a No Frills cabin. My point is this: no matter what the government does makes no difference to MSC...they will be one step ahead.

It is not a sin for a waiter or steward to accept a tip on MSC. They will not lose their job.

As I have stated, you have the choice to pay or not to pay. If you have no intention of paying the DSC then inform the service personnel beforehand.

Hi,

currently on a cruise I have plans to tip cabin attendant and primary waiter in MDR in addition to DSC. Is it true that staff is not allowed to keep such tip or is it just a rumor?

I have no idea how the DSC is distributed on the staff, but I ´m sure it is well planned income of everybody. To show my individual appreciation I want to tip extra and it should not be shared. To my opinion the people who are in direct contact to passengers have a hard job and most of them have to stay away from home and their loved ones for a very long time. I try to save money when I ´m looking for good cruise offers and flights, but I ´m not willing to save tip from the people who ultimately the backbone of daily operation of a cruise.

cheers

MBerry

Hi,

currently on a cruise I have plans to tip cabin attendant and primary waiter in MDR in addition to DSC. Is it true that staff is not allowed to keep such tip or is it just a rumor?

I have no idea how the DSC is distributed on the staff, but I ´m sure it is well planned income of everybody. To show my individual appreciation I want to tip extra and it should not be shared. To my opinion the people who are in direct contact to passengers have a hard job and most of them have to stay away from home and their loved ones for a very long time. I try to save money when I ´m looking for good cruise offers and flights, but I ´m not willing to save tip from the people who ultimately the backbone of daily operation of a cruise.

cheers

MBerry

8622f1001b222eb9636599c74d6bac69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it would be fair and honest, but maybe those who would withhold tips are not the most fair.

Hi,

cheers

MBerry

I agree.

Hi,

cheers

MBerry

The official stance of MSC is to say that tipping is discouraged. Of course, they operate mostly in Europe. They do not want their personnel pandering for tips. The reality is that, while the staff does not ask for tips, they will readily accept them and they will be able to keep them.

By all means feel free to reward excellence. I usually put the tip in an envelope with the person’s name on the front and I also enclose a short note thanking them for their service. You have every right to do so.

I don't know where you are getting your information but it is incorrect. MSC can simply implement a new policy of "No Frills" cabins...and there is nothing the German government can do about it. You can give the consumer a choice of paying the DSC or not paying it. If they choose not to pay they can be assigned a No Frills cabin. My point is this: no matter what the government does makes no difference to MSC...they will be one step ahead.

You are talking a different thing. Certainly MSC can set up this "no frills" category, but then they have to change their T&C completely, they cannot do this under their current version.

It is not a sin for a waiter or steward to accept a tip on MSC. They will not lose their job.

Of cause it is not a sin, but I was told they have to put tips in a pot for tips collection, so that all staff can participate and not just the ones with direct contact. Is it true or not? Well, I guess someone of us has to work on a MSC boat to find out. Volunteers step forward! :cool:

As I have stated, you have the choice to pay or not to pay. If you have no intention of paying the DSC then inform the service personnel beforehand.

I think you have not read what I wrote. I am always deciding during the cruise if and how much I pay depending on the performance of MSC.