What is your assumption of a casual shirt?

Clipper123

Is it okay for men to wear plain t-shirts in the less formal MDR  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay for men to wear plain t-shirts in the less formal MDR

• Yes
    • No

My husband is a t-shirt wearing guy. He wears a t-shirt at any of the free other eating areas but if we do go to dinner at either the mdr or speciality he puts on a polo. And he doesn't have fancy ones. Just something with a collar.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I interpret NCL's term of casual shirt to be a t-shirt as well, since as a previous poster pointed out, smart casual requires a collared shirt. If the cruise line says it is okay, then it is okay since they make the rules :D

Wear a collared shirt to dinner. Nothing more than a polo shirt. Leave the t-shirts for the buffet.

I agree even though I voted "yes" I did because I was thinking more like nice logo type TShirts. You know the ones that have NCL or some other logo? What I would not want to see is just a simple solid T shirt. I want them to be kept at home period. I know I am from the old school and just think it is nice to see people dressed for the occasion within reason. God knows I love the newer cruise line dress code, but I still like to see people dressed in comfortable but decent attire. I know it shouldn't bother us if it doesn't bother the wearer but it still does.

The simple answer is that Yes, under the NCL dress code this is allowed. You will not be denied entry and will see others in T-shirts.

However as you have seen from the above replies, most people like to dress a little for dinner even when not required. My husband likes to wear a short sleeve shirt and chinos.

Another dress for the MDR thread !

How much effort is there to wear a polo shirt to dinner rather than a t shirt ?

Plain t shirts look like underwear (IMHO).

Ask this question on a Cunard,Celebrity or Princess site and I am certain the poll would indicate no votes over yes.

I think questions about dress codes for MDR dinners have come up so often on CC because people ,in general, have taken such a “casual” attitude to the way they dress,they have forgotten how to dress in certain

situations. Again,that is MHO.

Ask this question on a Cunard,Celebrity or Princess site and I am certain the poll would indicate no votes over yes.

Precisely why I will never cruise on any of those lines.

I put this poll up because I was not exactly sure what was meant by a "casual" shirt but once a couple of posters pointed out that NCL's definition of smart casual specifies a collar, obviously casual does include a t-shirt. I don't mean a plain old white Fruit of the Loom undershirt, I mean t-shirts, which quite often cost more than polos or button up short sleeve shirts.

But I still don't get how people get off on telling others that they cannot/should not wear what the dress code states they can wear? If you don't like the dress code of a particular cruise line then you need to go on one of the more upscale lines where you pay an arm and a leg to see others dressed the way you want people to be dressed.

Precisely why I will never cruise on any of those lines.

I put this poll up because I was not exactly sure what was meant by a "casual" shirt but once a couple of posters pointed out that NCL's definition of smart casual specifies a collar, obviously casual does include a t-shirt. I don't mean a plain old white Fruit of the Loom undershirt, I mean t-shirts, which quite often cost more than polos or button up short sleeve shirts.

But I still don't get how people get off on telling others that they cannot/should not wear what the dress code states they can wear? If you don't like the dress code of a particular cruise line then you need to go on one of the more upscale lines where you pay an arm and a leg to see others dressed the way you want people to be dressed.

You put a poll up and asked for peoples opinions. You got them.

It's really a point of "Can I wear them?" or "Should I wear them?".

Where I sourced my travel casual guide shirt (from Eddie Bauer) which is worn on shorex for sun protection, moisture wicking & with zipped hidden security pocket to keep items safer - it's fast drying with a quick hand-wash. Like this one - paid just about $30 for them on sale with extra coupon code, shipped. Usually travel with 2 of them on trips.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-guide-long-sleeve-shirt/13836516?showProducts=333&color=966&sizetype=&size=

Wear these for MDR at dinner time, perfect to meet/exceed the resort casual dining code on NCL ... which used to spell out, as I recall, a collared shirt. Further downgrade from shirt & tie, navy or dark color sports blazer ... nevermind the tux.

The other options, and they are in the carry-on, 2 to 4 collared polo t-shirts, short & long sleeves, prefer them in darker color, easier to hide stains & dirts, without the need to wash them unless soiled or smelly on a hot & humid day ... it can be "chilly" in the MDR. They packed easily, rolled up & fit into a medium packing tube/compression pouch - minimum space needed.

Inexpensive on sale, from LL Bean and/or Eddie Bauer, doesn't cost much more than t-shirts without a collar.

Khaki or chino pants in different shades/darker color preferred - are fine for wearing them anywhere, relax fit - ideal for long distance air travel. I go one step further with BDU or cargo pants, dark navy or black with extra zippered/button pocket, that's where the 5" plus smartphone go. Mix and match, toss in a fleece vest - and, I am good to go.

You put a poll up and asked for peoples opinions. You got them.

It's really a point of "Can I wear them?" or "Should I wear them?".

I actually wanted to know what NCL meant by casual shirt and if a t-shirt was indeed a casual shirt.

I also stated this question was in regard to the LESS FORMAL MDR, which allows shorts and casual shirts. If people don`t want to see people dressed down from their standards then they should not attend the LESS FORMAL MDR.

Both my DH and myself have worn nice "fashionable" t-shirts (not plain ones) to all MDR and specialty restaurants on board NCL ships for years (also the venues with a stricter dress code), and have never had any problems. I never even thought about the possibility of being denied entrance at the door until now, as we always dress "nice", all though some times the "nice top" might be sort of a t-shirt (without collar, but not plain or with "advertizing")...

Its personal preference TBH nowadays. 10 years ago cruiselines would have cared much more if someone showed up in jeans and t-shirt than they would now.I still wear khakis and button down shirt to MDR and same to specialty. I wouldn't be caught dead in the MDR with a t-shirt on.