Princess "Secrets" 2018

barbpretz

Thanks, reed princess, for the tip that obstructed balconies are listed under interior cabins. Are they priced as Interior? I will look into this.

These cabins are priced as exactly what they are ... obstructed balcony or deluxe obstructed balcony. For whatever reason Princess decided it was better to place those listings under interior rather than balcony:confused:

Only the vet/service member who is listed as a passenger. If he doesn't go, you don't get the bucks.

Thanks - I thought that was the case but figured you guys would know for sure!

We don't qualify but it's a great perk. Another great thing about it is that, if both spouses qualify, then both get the OBC even if they are in the same cabin. It's really fantastic that Princess (unlike other lines) lets you stack the OBC. On a cruise of 17 days or longer: Two military credits ($500), two FCD for deposit ($300), and the shareholder OBC ($250) can be very nice indeed. (The military and shareholder amounts would be the same for 14 days or more but the FCD doesn't max out until 17 days or longer.)

Don't forget the Loyalty OBC. It is based on cruise credits.

20-30 credits = $25 OBC

31.-40 credits = $50

41-50 credits = $75

51 or more = $100

Where do you find your cruise credits? Is it based on number of cruises or cruise days? Does Princess apply the OBC automatically or do you have to apply?

Where do you find your cruise credits? Is it based on number of cruises or cruise days? Does Princess apply the OBC automatically or do you have to apply?

Go to the Princess website. My account. Captain's Circle. Cruise history. There is a lot of useful information on the Princess website if you look for it.

Don't forget the Loyalty OBC. It is based on cruise credits.

20-30 credits = $25 OBC

31.-40 credits = $50

41-50 credits = $75

51 or more = $100

This is a great OBC but I just can't figure out why if you are traveling with your spouse, only one of you get this OBC.

This is a great OBC but I just can't figure out why if you are traveling with your spouse, only one of you get this OBC.

Because some perks are per stateroom and some are per person. This one is per room, just like the shareholder credit, mini bar, etc. If you and your spouse each own 100 shares of stock, you still get only one credit. You get one mini-bar or 2 coffee cards, regardless of how many elite persons are in the room.

If you go to the desk MDR and ask politely, they will produce a three ring binder with the menus in order for the entire cruise. If your planning on going to specialty restaurant, this knowledge is very helpful in choosing which night to go.

Princess has coin laundries available, If you plan ahead and reduce your luggage load 40% or more. Lucky enough for longer cruise, three suitcases can be reduced to one. HOWEVER, they are popular and soap and change machine have tendency to run out. Pack a couple of soap pods and a stack of quarters.

Princess has coin laundries available, If you plan ahead and reduce your luggage load 40% or more. Lucky enough for longer cruise, three suitcases can be reduced to one. HOWEVER, they are popular and soap and change machine have tendency to run out. Pack a couple of soap pods and a stack of quarters.

I don't believe that any of the ships run on quarters any more. Those that we've been on in the last 3 years use tokens. There is a token machine in each laundry room. You program in what you want, swipe your card, and the machine issues the tokens.

Yes, one can earn $50 for cruises 3-5 days, $100 for cruises 6-13 days, $250 for cruises over 2 weeks..but as stated you need to send in your final discharge paperwork to prove you qualify so if it's been 40 years and you don't have that paperwork (or can't find it) then you need to get another copy from a Veterans Office which may take months (Like it did for us, lol). But once you get it approved from Princess you'll always get the onboard credit for all future cruises.

The military OBC is also considered refundable. We had leftover OBC on one cruise and cashed it in a few days before the end of the cruise. Because we did it early enough that they had a good supply of cash we got it on the spot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe that any of the ships run on quarters any more. Those that we've been on in the last 3 years use tokens. There is a token machine in each laundry room. You program in what you want' date=' swipe your card, and the machine issues the tokens.[/quote']

I pack some detergent pods to use, as well as a stain remover stick. Had some shirts come out of an on board dryer with oily stains on one cruise (lip balm maybe?) and had to buy stain remover in port in St Thomas at a greatly increased price.

I also make sure to pack pain reliever, Benadryl, aloe, etc. Purchased 16 Benadryl tablets on the ship once for about $8.00. Never again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not so much a "secret" but a tip for those travelling with kids (after sailing 17 times with a child I found this out the hard way on my last cruise). When your kids are in kids clubs they are just as exposed to any illnesses, germs, bugs as if they are at school and daycare. That means that, yes, it's possible for them to get head lice on a cruise ship from another child in the club! Yes, it happened to my two and we were at sea for FIVE days! Believe me, that is not fun. Now I will ALWAYS travel with a bottle of the Nix shampoo just in case.........

jlp20 -- thanks for that little tid bit of information.

I do like to plan my specialty restaurant visits around the MDR menus.

If you go to the desk MDR and ask politely, they will produce a three ring binder with the menus in order for the entire cruise. If your planning on going to specialty restaurant, this knowledge is very helpful in choosing which night to go.

Yes $250 for cruises of 2 weeks and over, $100 for cruises under. We Aussie serving and ex servicemen and women also receive it from Princess, as do the New Zealanders, Brits and Canadians, as well as of course Americans. Once you send your proof of service in to Princess, it goes on your profile. I got 3 lots for this years cruises, Sapphire x 2 ad Royal x 1, buys a few bottles of vino in the MDR, although mine just went on shorex purchases.:halo: The left hand of Princess gave it to me and then the right hand took it away. lol. But still very appreciative.

Actually it's $50 for under 7 days, $100 for 7-13 days and $250 for over 13 days. Tom

If your friends are already booked you can’t take advantage of the referral program you may have a small chance if you call but not likely good luck I always travel in large groups and alway take advantage of it I generally get hundreds of $’s in OBC
To get the referral OBC, do you have to book directly with Princess or can you also book through an online discount travel agent?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

Not a guarantee, but for the past few years - the "big sales" are:

July-August - Sip and Sale (for balconies and above)

Sep-end of Nov - 3 for free sale (OBC, free grats, and free upgrades (same category)). This one is worth waiting for if you will be sailing interior or ocean view.

We shall see if this tip pays off - but if you like to "fish" for an upgrade, I was told - during 3 for free sale, book a Guarantee in the highest room category available for the price you are willing to go (IB for interior as IAs are not included in 3 for free). If the ship sells really well, you have a slightly higher chance of being upgraded to the next category. Of course, you do not have the room of your choice in your category if the ship does not sell out. Was told this was the "upgrade gamblers special". Decided to give it a go for this fall and see where we land.

Don

Thanks Don. Waiting for the September to end of November "3 for free" sale.

Is the sale genuine or are the prices inflated to accommodate the 3 freebies?

Thanks Don. Waiting for the September to end of November "3 for free" sale.

Is the sale genuine or are the prices inflated to accommodate the 3 freebies?

About a month ago, I booked an Alaska cruise which included comp grats, specialty dinner, and some OBC. A few days later, this particular promotion ended AND the price of the cruise dropped by $110 pp....just about what we're getting in OBC and the dinner! The grats were part of a different promotion, and they do make our deal excellent.

My point is that Princess knows what they need to get for a given category at a particular time before the cruise. They really don't care if they charge you a higher fare and give you a few perks or if they charge a lower fare with no perks.

Interestingly, our next cruise is now available for about 1/2 of what I booked it for, but our category is not available....and since we are into the penalty period, I'm just laughing at the almost daily price changes and availability changes. I'm not unhappy at what we have booked nor can I do anything about it. I'm just smiling at the obvious "Fire sale" mentality for those who might be able to take advantage of it.

About a month ago' date=' I booked an Alaska cruise which included comp grats, specialty dinner, and some OBC. A few days later, this particular promotion ended AND the price of the cruise dropped by $110 pp....just about what we're getting in OBC and the dinner! The grats were part of a different promotion, and they do make our deal excellent.

My point is that Princess knows what they need to get for a given category at a particular time before the cruise. They really don't care if they charge you a higher fare and give you a few perks or if they charge a lower fare with no perks.

Interestingly, our next cruise is now available for about 1/2 of what I booked it for, but our category is not available....and since we are into the penalty period, I'm just laughing at the almost daily price changes and availability changes. I'm not unhappy at what we have booked nor can I do anything about it. I'm just smiling at the obvious "Fire sale" mentality for those who might be able to take advantage of it.[/quote']Wow, which ship and departure date at 50% less?

April Caribbean Princess. At the time of booking, I had to book a higher category than I would have chosen as the one I would have booked was "sold out." They've obviously reshuffled inventory as what I originally intended to book has now been available for a couple of weeks. The category I did book for $1369pp. was available yesterday for $799, the "sold out" category was available for $699. These prices were changing a couple of times a day last week.

I'm only checking because a little birdie told me that IF they drop the price of what I booked and I call about it, they might toss a little OBC our way. That wouldn't be bad since this booking includes no perks of any sort. I've about given up on that happening though.

We did get a good deal on air, which has increased significantly since we booked.