Progressive boarding question

MsSoCalCruiser

I believe it’s due to government regulations or to expedite clearing all passengers without having to get in line for each country. If there was a need to get it in a port, I’d call the port agent’s phone number to coordinate it with the ship.

No matter the reason why, it’s not optional to turn in your passport when boarding in Buenos Aires.

We had one port where we had to turn in our passport. As above, we were provided with a copy of the face page and a receipt for the passport. Later in the cruise (after the port that required it), we got information as to where to go to get our passport (receipt required to reclaim). I don't remember if it was done by cabin number or alphabetically, but when we showed up at the designated time there was no waiting The entire process was very smooth.

We had one port where we had to turn in our passport. As above' date=' we were provided with a copy of the face page and a receipt for the passport. Later in the cruise (after the port that required it), we got information as to where to go to get our passport (receipt required to reclaim). I don't remember if it was done by cabin number or alphabetically, but when we showed up at the designated time there was no waiting The entire process was very smooth.[/quote']

On our South America cruise cabin stewards were responsible for returning passports & getting our receipts.

I believe it’s due to government regulations and/or to expedite clearing all passengers without having to get in line for each country. If there was a need to get it in a port, I’d call the port agent’s phone number to coordinate it with the ship.

No matter the reason why, it’s not optional to turn in your passport when boarding in Buenos Aires.

Thank you for sharing. I've never been there but maybe someday.

Progressive boarding is more like a polite suggestion--not enforced at all.

Some Lines enforce it in Sydney, no entry to the terminal building unless your are there at your allotted time. I totally agree with the enforcement, should be more of it to ease congestion.:evilsmile: Sure we are Elite and have been since 2008, so can check in anytime, but we generally wait until 2pm or 3pm to check in, for a 4pm or 5pm departure. Miss a bit of the crowd. But some folk are just eager to get on board to put the nosebag on !!:loudcry:

Once when we checked in at Vancouver the Princess employee insisted that I checked in using the platinum line (maybe 5 people in line) and my friend who was not platinum but staying in my cabin checked in using the regular line (at least 100 people in line). She refused to let her in line with me so we ended up in the extremely long line. Boy was I upset because it had already been a very long and extremely tiring day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have taken her name, and complained to Princess, recommending that employee be instructed that those Blue, Gold and Ruby cardholders staying in a cabin with a Platinum or Elite person, ARE allowed to board with that person.

Some Lines enforce it in Sydney, no entry to the terminal building unless your are there at your allotted time. I totally agree with the enforcement, should be more of it to ease congestion.:evilsmile: Sure we are Elite and have been since 2008, so can check in anytime, but we generally wait until 2pm or 3pm to check in, for a 4pm or 5pm departure. Miss a bit of the crowd. But some folk are just eager to get on board to put the nosebag on !!:loudcry:

Of course, as an Elite you are well aware that there is at least one other reason why someone would want to board as early as possible, and it's not to "...put the nosebag on" as you said. On warm weather trips, we ALWAYS race on board as soon as possible regardless of our assigned time, as it's pretty much the only way to have any chance of getting seats in the Sanctuary which are sold first come first served. If assigned boarding times are "enforced" as you desire, we and many others would be out of luck.

• Like 1

To me, the idea of assigned check-in times are stupid since, as I've said before, most people don't have a lot of control over when they get there considering most are traveling from other cities to the departure port. Checking into a cruise is more like checking into a hotel than checking in for an airline flight. Could you imagine if a hotel notified you a few days in advance that "you've been assigned a room on the 12th floor - check-in time for the 12th floor is 6pm to 7pm."

For my most recent cruise, the official check-in time was 1pm to 5pm with the assigning (suggested) times by deck at 1pm, 2pm (our deck), 3pm, or 4pm. Yet check-in was already in progress when we arrived there at 10:45am (having no choice but to either wait three hours on the street outside the ferry port (not the same location as the cruise port) or just go to the cruise port then) and boarding started about 11:15am. By 1:00pm, a good number of people were already on-board. Had all of them waited for their assigned time, even more people would have been trying to check-in during the official hours. So by arriving, checking-in, and boarding before 1pm, we actually shortened lines for those arriving at our assigned time.

Others have rightfully pointed out that some things on-board require you to be on early (e.g. Sanctuary, Chef's Table list, Ultimate Ship's Tour list). Forcing some people to then board later just comes off as the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I comply with rules where they make sense. But rules where it just seems to be someone trying to be a control freak or the rule is in conflict with other things (e.g. you can't board until later even though there are first-come, first-served things on-board) make no sense.

• Like 1

For our next cruise in February our plane arrives in FLL at 9:00 am. The next available flight would arrive in FLL at 3:30. We chose the 9:00 flight, which by the way, is the cheapest. Yesterday I received an email from Princess telling us our recommended boarding time is 3:30. Really? We will eat breakfast at the airport and head to the ship. What are they going to when we have preferred boarding? Do people really follow these guidelines?

I have a question about "Priority Boarding" for passengers in full Suites. Do we just show up whenever?

From the information I received yesterday they posted "Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times."

Theoretically they want people to board according deck numbers which I have never seen enforced. If they do decide to enforce this boarding schedule they'll have to deal with a great number of people just milling around.

For our next cruise in February our plane arrives in FLL at 9:00 am. The next available flight would arrive in FLL at 3:30. We chose the 9:00 flight, which by the way, is the cheapest. Yesterday I received an email from Princess telling us our recommended boarding time is 3:30. Really? We will eat breakfast at the airport and head to the ship. What are they going to when we have preferred boarding? Do people really follow these guidelines?

Your case is a perfect example as to why people don't follow their suggestion.

Princess is simply trying to manage the embarkation process so people are not lined up for a long time. When you are at the terminal, you will not be checked for your suggested time. You will go through security, sign your medical form and be sent on a processing queue for your ship card. There may then be a waiting area for you to sit while they get the cabins and eating venues prepared.

Recently, we arrived from our hotel slightly after 11:00 and were on the ship at 11:40. (Our suggested board time was 2:00) Our deck was not ready for cabin occupancy so we waited until the MDR opened and heard the announcement that all cabins were available while we lunched.

Do not be concerned. Princess will treat you well whether you have preferred boarding or not. It is what they do.

• 1 year later...

I just received an email that we can’t board until 2 p.m. and that, if we arrive at the terminal prior to 2 p.m. they will take our luggage but we will be turned away and asked to come back later. I have never cruised with Princess before - we are boarding in Fort Lauderdale but the cruise starts in Spain and then swaps out passengers in FL before leaving for the Panama Canal portion of the trip. Princess says that the delay is due to “immigration formalities” and a “US Coast Guard Drill”. Friends of ours think it’s for a thorough customs search. Has anyone ever been turned away from the terminal when they arrive earlier than stipulated? Thanks for any comments!

1 hour ago, Scg1955 said:

I just received an email that we can’t board until 2 p.m. and that, if we arrive at the terminal prior to 2 p.m. they will take our luggage but we will be turned away and asked to come back later. I have never cruised with Princess before - we are boarding in Fort Lauderdale but the cruise starts in Spain and then swaps out passengers in FL before leaving for the Panama Canal portion of the trip. Princess says that the delay is due to “immigration formalities” and a “US Coast Guard Drill”. Friends of ours think it’s for a thorough customs search. Has anyone ever been turned away from the terminal when they arrive earlier than stipulated? Thanks for any comments!

When the ship comes to the US for the first time for the season there are additional Coast Guard inspections/Crew immigration etc to be addressed. 

Usually they are done by the time boarding starts but be prepared to be turned away. That has happened in the past.

First arrivals in the U.S. after the ship has been out of the U.S. for an extended period can be different. The crew Immigration inspection is more thorough and Coast Guard inspections can occur as well. That said, sometimes things go faster. We were on a Transatlantic where the first U.S. port after the ship's European season was a port call for our cruise (was supposed to be Boston but due to a hurricane deviation, ended up being New York/Manhattan). Despite being told every one needed to leave the ship and they did not know how long it would be before we could rebound. Despite the warning, we were able to rebound early afternoon (maybe 1:30ish) in time for a late lunch on board.

1 hour ago, Scg1955 said:

my last cruise had that and weirdly i heard from other passengers that wasn't the case and it really was normal boarding

It has happened to us, twice. I did not actually see passengers turned away from the pier, but the waiting area was crowded, SRO. Then boarding which usually goes fairly quickly was somewhat slower with all the crowds.

In Ft. Lauderdale there are plenty of places to go. If you are at pier 2 it's a comfortable walk up SE 17th St. to all kinds of restaurants and shopping. If you are at the mid port pier you might be able to hop on the in port garage shuttle over to pier two.

7 hours ago, skynight said:

It has happened to us, twice. I did not actually see passengers turned away from the pier, but the waiting area was crowded, SRO. Then boarding which usually goes fairly quickly was somewhat slower with all the crowds.

In Ft. Lauderdale there are plenty of places to go. If you are at pier 2 it's a comfortable walk up SE 17th St. to all kinds of restaurants and shopping. If you are at the mid port pier you might be able to hop on the in port garage shuttle over to pier two.

I don't mean to sound like I am nit-picking, but I think you mean Terminal 2 not Pier 2 in Port Everglades.  I made the same mistake once on a post when I was offering directions to the parking garage.  Pier 2 is at a different location than Terminal 2 and I was directing others to the wrong location that had no parking garage.

Our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean they enforced the boarding rules. Monitors stood at the start of the escalator up and reviewed boarding passes before letting them pass. It worked for about one hour and people started pushing through until the monitors left. This was the only time I ever saw this, prior trips were all get in line when we arrive and get right on. I hope I do not have to do the boarding pass checks again.

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone - much appreciated! We have to check out of the hotel by 11 anyway so will drop our luggage at the Terminal and if they turn us away we’ll go for lunch and come back at 2.

21 hours ago, oldracer said:

Our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean they enforced the boarding rules. Monitors stood at the start of the escalator up and reviewed boarding passes before letting them pass. It worked for about one hour and people started pushing through until the monitors left. This was the only time I ever saw this, prior trips were all get in line when we arrive and get right on. I hope I do not have to do the boarding pass checks again.

That's ridiculous.  If they actually did that, then the first couple of decks would board and they would be keeping people who arrived early arbitrarily in the waiting areas.  Someone was off-base that day.  Glad we are now (just) Elite and don't have to worry about this if it ever did change.  Often boarding starts even before the first group in that suggested set of times.

Edited by steelers36

On 1/30/2018 at 10:14 AM, floridalover5623 said:

From the information I received yesterday they posted "Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times."

There would be mass outrage and a storming of the gates I think if Princess actually did this (boarding) to Suite guests and Captain's Circle long-time cruising customers.   BTW, Priority Check-In is available all through the check-in period and is not the same thing as priority boarding.  By early afternoon, priority check-in doesn't mean much as people are drifting in to the terminal in much smaller numbers and groups as the masses have already boarded.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:24 PM, lstone19 said:

To me, the idea of assigned check-in times are stupid since, as I've said before, most people don't have a lot of control over when they get there considering most are traveling from other cities to the departure port. Checking into a cruise is more like checking into a hotel than checking in for an airline flight. Could you imagine if a hotel notified you a few days in advance that "you've been assigned a room on the 12th floor - check-in time for the 12th floor is 6pm to 7pm."

For my most recent cruise, the official check-in time was 1pm to 5pm with the assigning (suggested) times by deck at 1pm, 2pm (our deck), 3pm, or 4pm. Yet check-in was already in progress when we arrived there at 10:45am (having no choice but to either wait three hours on the street outside the ferry port (not the same location as the cruise port) or just go to the cruise port then) and boarding started about 11:15am. By 1:00pm, a good number of people were already on-board. Had all of them waited for their assigned time, even more people would have been trying to check-in during the official hours. So by arriving, checking-in, and boarding before 1pm, we actually shortened lines for those arriving at our assigned time.

Others have rightfully pointed out that some things on-board require you to be on early (e.g. Sanctuary, Chef's Table list, Ultimate Ship's Tour list). Forcing some people to then board later just comes off as the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I comply with rules where they make sense. But rules where it just seems to be someone trying to be a control freak or the rule is in conflict with other things (e.g. you can't board until later even though there are first-come, first-served things on-board) make no sense.

Great post!!!!  The other point is that it is inherently unfair that passengers on a couple of decks would have the first shot at all those early things you mentioned under the time slot system.  Certainly those who arrive early and are among first to board have the first chance to request and book things, but that is a personal choice and not a random dictate of which deck your cabin happens to be on.  It seems Princess is really just trying to spread out the check-in rush.