Customer Disservice?

muggo11

I agree that technically this wasn’t NCL’s fault. It was, however, their problem to fix and they didn’t. This must happen relatively often and I’ll guess they always resolve it. At least, almost always.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

why in the world was it NCLs problem to fix? They tried to locate the luggage, they couldn't simple.

Every brand will always have its cheerleaders, but NCL blew it here by not making matters right.

Sure, they didn't have to.

Just like United had every legal right to drag that doctor off the plane.

By exerting their right to do things by the book, they get a ton of bad publicity.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

But it is my understating that sailing on a closed loop cruise(meaning they leave and return in the same port a passport is not required by the local agencies. The ship may have required it but come on do they look like terorists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

your understanding is totally wrong. In order to cruise out of the USA you absolutely have to have a passport with at least 6 months on it prior to expiration or a valid drivers license with a birth certificate issued by the state you were born in. Even a child has to have the same ID, except in stead of a DL they can have a school ID or some other form of picture ID.

For all of those who think it would have been easy to fine the luggage have you ever had your luggage lost after boarding and be advised to go to room number such and such to try and locate it? Well if you have you would better understand how hard it is to find luggage.

I do agree with one thing someone said: they are entitled to their taxes and port charges back

I think this a sansationism story for sure, meant to stir up trouble just like a lot of news today. My feeling as I said before, this couple probably should not even be traveling alone. I know when we reach that age we will not think of taking ever an overnight trip without family with us and we are seasoned travelers in our early 80s.

Missing bags taken onboard ship by dodgy porters isn’t a security risk?

Sounds like the definition of security risk.

This raises an analogous point for planes: if you fail to board at the gate, your suitcase is taken off.

Why isn't it the same on ships?

Who knows how much of that article is legit anyway. They couldn't even get the basic facts right on what documentation is required. If you can't get a key part of the story right I have to question the rest of the heart tugging fluff.

I think this is what makes the whole article reek of click bait. I feel for the couple. It's awful that they missed their cruise, but when a "journalist" makes an error such as this one in the story you have to ask what else is simply incorrect or exaggerated? Having a drivers license and no other form of identification would not (and should not) get anyone on that ship. To imply otherwise, means the reporter/editor either couldn't be bother to fact check the article or is intentionally trying to mislead the readers to further enrage them. If you read some of the comments on their website (as well as a few on here), it worked!

oh, I am aware of that: my point was meant to stress it may sound easy to find 2 lost bags but it is not easy. I understand why it wasn't possible to locate them. And for those who say NCL should make this good, I say: be real, why should they? Maybe offer them a discount on a future cruise but nothing more and I hope the family, if the couple wants to travel again insists some accompany them or at least stay with them until the get on the bus, ship or whatever.

Also let me add, I hope the media does a better job of checking information before posting a story with only parts truths in it!!!!

In order to cruise out of the USA you absolutely have to have a passport with at least 6 months on it prior to expiration or a valid drivers license with a birth certificate issued by the state you were born in.

This is not true. On closed loop cruise where a passport is not require i.e.: you can use BC and DL, if using a passport it only has to valid (not expired) on the day you return to the US.

This raises an analogous point for planes: if you fail to board at the gate, your suitcase is taken off.

Because there aren’t thousands of bags for thousands of passengers on cruise ships. It takes many hours to sort them out.

But it is my understating that sailing on a closed loop cruise(meaning they leave and return in the same port a passport is not required by the local agencies. The ship may have required it but come on do they look like terorists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a closed loop cruise, besides a drivers license id you also need a birth certificate!

Given that they are an elderly couple, I have some sympathy and think that Norwegian could have been more supportive. But frankly NO cruise line is going to allow people to board without proper documentation, To me it is obvious that said documentation should ALWAYS be with you and NEVER packed in luggage..

They had proper documentation the drivers license that is all you need to travel in Mexico and the Caribbean, many travelers don't use a passport but a birth certificate and the only time you will need a passport or birth certificate is for re-entry to the US which they had waiting on the ship inside their luggage, the old geezers didn't scream loud enough at the terminal to get the right person attention and that is my pinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody said they were lost, but not located yet, it can take hours. Who said dodgy porter (efficient, yes, who just loads up carts to give to the next hand off, not a NCL employee, who doesn’t even go onto the ship).

They had proper documentation the drivers license that is all you need to travel in Mexico and the Caribbean, many travelers don't use a passport but a birth certificate and the only time you will need a passport or birth certificate is for re-entry to the US which they had waiting on the ship inside their luggage, the old geezers didn't scream loud enough at the terminal to get the right person attention and that is my pinion

For cruise travel on closed loop cruise if you do not have a passport no cruise line will let you board without official birth certificate in addition to your govt id.

Your opinion is wrong. There is no way they could board the ship without a passport OR a government photo ID AND birth certificate, which they didn’t have.

The did not have the correct documentation. They required WHTI compliant documents, which they could not produce, therefore they were denied boarding. Worked exactly as it was suppose to.

If they got the cancel for any reason it would. Even so, the policy that is offered as a courtesy through NCL gives a 75% credit for a non-covered reason for cancellation.

Cancellation for CFAR must be done at least 24 hours before the cruise, so no coverage even from CFAR.

I feel badly for this couple. Without knowing the whole story from NCL's point of view, it does see like more should have been done to help these people, even if it was to communicate and make sure that they were ok given that they could not board, and what plans they could make. Poor customer relations.for sure. I hope NCL can give them a free cruise and help to arrange as a good will gesture.

They did not have proper documentation. How many times must it be mentioned?

If all they needed was a DL we wouldn't be having this discussion because there wouldn't even be a need for a passport for anyone.

But it is my understating that sailing on a closed loop cruise(meaning they leave and return in the same port a passport is not required by the local agencies. The ship may have required it but come on do they look like terrorists.

Why don't you try to use your UNDERSTANDING on your next cruise. You, too, will be on the dock watching the ship sail away. United States Immigrations and Customs requires that correct WHTI documentation be presented for passage. And does that mean that you think that we should allow all people that "don't look like terrorists" to bypass security at our airports and ports???? Seriously???

Planes usually have less than 200 passengers while cruise ships usually have over 2000. Not everyone checks a bag on planes, while pretty much everyone checks one bag on a cruise and most check more (the couple had three!). And for planes your bag is tagged with a barcode that would aide in ensuring they have the right bag where I'm betting most on cruises don't even fill out their luggage tags for cruises.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can feel bad for them. We are human and make mistakes. Their mistake, even if due to ignorance, cost them their trip.

But the port authorites checking in for NCL was only following the rules.

I am sure it is very difficult and costly to secure staff to search for bags in a situation like this.

We all need to remember never to pack anything in checked baggage that you cannot afford to lose. I learned this the hard way at 18 when I packed my jewelry in my checked bag. I lost special pieces such as my high school ring, my birthstone ring which had been a gift from my parents, and a beautiful turquoise bracelet I had made payments on. Luckily, I was able to recover costs on my parent's insurance but those pieces could never be replaced.

I have been super careful in the 40+ years after.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I'm asking is if NCL's hands were completely tied by CBP regulations, or if they could have taken a chance and let this couple board. (I'm not saying that they should have, or that they owe the couple anything for not letting them board, I'm asking about the official rules for carriers in this situation.)

Yes....the official policy is the carrier must inspect the documents prior to embarking the passenger since they will be who eventually presents them back to CBP for reentry. Following the regulations for them is more than a suggestion.

Edited by ray98

If ncl was supposed to trust this couple that their documents are in the bag, then they would have to trust everyone that says that, from whatever country their from. Doesn't sound secure is it. But then let's follow this down the path, what happens if they say their passports are in their luggage but they're not. Regardless of whether they just forgot the documents or outright lied, they won't be back allowed back in the US without it. So then what? They're stuck at the port which has no services besides boarding and unboarding until a family member can track down the documents? Is ncl supposed to take them back on board because it's inhumane to leave them stuck at a place with no food? I'm not even sure ports are staffed 24/7 so someone would have to be there to ensure they don't illegally enter the U.S.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk