Prescription Medication

el51769

We are taking our first cruise in July & have MANY questions. One for now....if we take prescription medication in our carry on, do we need to keep it in the original bottles or can we carry them in a Sun-Sat pill holder? Just thinking it would take up less room in the carry on. Also what about shampoos & lotions, do they need original bottles? Thanks in advance for your replies. :D

You should have no problems with pills, shampoos, and lotions with regard to the cruise line. However, they may examine containers with liquid if they suspect alcohol smuggling.

Edited by Host Clarea

The ship has no problem with you bringing your meds on and off in your weekly pill holder.

However, if you are flying to the embarkation port--especially in Florida--you will want to keep any narcotics, or the "little blue pill", in the original container with the pharmacy label. Or bring a copy of the scrip or pharmacy receipt. Or both to be safe.

But if you are just taking some regular maintenance medications no one will bat an eyelash. As long as they are not loosely floating around in your bags.

You don't say where you are cruising from or to. The ships don't care how you carry your pills or toiletries. But if you are flying to your embarkation port, TSA certainly will. Liquid toiletries fall within the 3-1-1 rule for carry ons. You can put larger bottles in your checked bags. Any prescription drugs that are controlled should be in their original containers.

If you are sailing from a foreign port, you should be more careful with medications. If not in their original containers, then copies of the prescription or pharmacy labels should be included. And be careful you aren't bringing in drugs banned in that country. For example pseudephedrine, found in some cold remedies is banned in some countries. Again, the ship doesn't care. But the country's immigration/customs officers certainly might.

More information is needed such as are you driving to the ship or flying and if flying where are you flying to.

In general the TSA rarely would stop someone if there pills are not in the original bottles but they do advise bringing them.

The cruise ships don't care.

Some countries do care.

If the bottle is too large you can often ask the pharmacist for spare smaller bottles and if they would put labels on them.

Keith

I travel a lot for work. I take daily meds. I have them in the Sun-Sat pill containers. Sometimes multiple weeks worth.

NO PROBLEMS. None with TSA, none with any foreign equivalent security screening.

If, I were taking anything narcotic, I would have original bottle and get a letter from my doc about the meds. And only carry enough for the trip.

I travel with weekly medication containers as well as a letter with all the med's, dosages and the prescribing physician's name and phone number for each specific medication. I also carry boxes of a IV medication that requires a cooler, and dry ice and that has a letter signed by the prescribing physician. Never had any issues here in the states, nor traveling in Europe having the meds in my carry-on.;)

I travel a lot for work. I take daily meds. I have them in the Sun-Sat pill containers. Sometimes multiple weeks worth.

NO PROBLEMS. None with TSA, none with any foreign equivalent security screening.

If, I were taking anything narcotic, I would have original bottle and get a letter from my doc about the meds. And only carry enough for the trip.

This is exactly what I'd write / and do ....

a) you won't have a problem with most 'routine' medications especially if the amount you are carrying is in accordance with the length of your trip .... carry a 6 month supply of something when planning to be gone for a week can open a can of worms "why" wise ....

b) if you carry an opioid or other painkiller or other drug on the 'controlled' list I'd NOT carry extra and only carry in the original container. I'd also be sure the 'scrip was CURRENTLY VALID. IOW I was not carrying some 'oxy' tabs left over from my last surgery just in case I needed them .... not that anyone does this: save leftover pain meds ..... Once again, quantity is a BIG factor ... in my previous life I did 'inspections' for contraband and finding a controlled substance in my situation meant determining an "intent to distribute". Got a scrip and 5 whoopie pills ... not a biggie. Got 500????

c) PLEASE remember that recent changes to the medical or recreational use use of MJ applies in some states but NOT in the federal environment nor out of the US (where laws for simple possession can be much more severe than in the US). If you missed it, a recent cruise charter out of Canaveral for special event resulted in DOZENS of arrests at boarding time. Some of these folks had 'MJ card' issued by states other than FL ... and they mean ZIP in FL or to ICE ......

** Footnote for those who are familiar with this incident: extra security screening at boarding was requested and paid for by the cruise line ...... not initiated by the port or local authorities **

It's a good practice to have your doc to write your scripts so they can be carried with you on your trip. In the event that your meds are lost or destroyed, you don't have to find a doctor to get new scripts.

My doctors never handwrite scripts anymore. They always fax them during my apppointment. BUt, if your doctor does still use pen and paper for Rx, once you give it to your pharmacy, it is gone. You cannot bring it with you as suggested would your pharmacy make a copy? Keep the meds in the pharmacy bottle r and keep your pharmacy papers and receipts.

It's a good practice to have your doc to write your scripts so they can be carried with you on your trip. In the event that your meds are lost or destroyed, you don't have to find a doctor to get new scripts.
My doctors never handwrite scripts anymore. They always fax them during my apppointment. BUt, if your doctor does still use pen and paper for Rx, once you give it to your pharmacy, it is gone. You cannot bring it with you as suggested would your pharmacy make a copy? Keep the meds in the pharmacy bottle and keep your pharmacy papers and receipts.

This is exactly what I'd write / and do ....[/color]

a) you won't have a problem with most 'routine' medications especially if the amount you are carrying is in accordance with the length of your trip .... carry a 6 month supply of something when planning to be gone for a week can open a can of worms "why" wise ....

b) if you carry an opioid or other painkiller or other drug on the 'controlled' list I'd NOT carry extra and only carry in the original container. I'd also be sure the 'scrip was CURRENTLY VALID. IOW I was not carrying some 'oxy' tabs left over from my last surgery just in case I needed them .... not that anyone does this: save leftover pain meds ..... Once again' date=' quantity is a BIG factor ... in my previous life I did 'inspections' for contraband and finding a controlled substance in my situation meant determining an "intent to distribute". Got a scrip and 5 whoopie pills ... not a biggie. Got 500????[/color']

c) PLEASE remember that recent changes to the medical or recreational use use of MJ applies in some states but NOT in the federal environment nor out of the US (where laws for simple possession can be much more severe than in the US). If you missed it, a recent cruise charter out of Canaveral for special event resulted in DOZENS of arrests at boarding time. Some of these folks had 'MJ card' issued by states other than FL ... and they mean ZIP in FL or to ICE ......

** Footnote for those who are familiar with this incident: extra security screening at boarding was requested and paid for by the cruise line ...... not initiated by the port or local authorities **

Basically the same thing I said. :D

It is very easy to have your Pharmacy print a set of labels for your scrips and you can then put your meds into small ziplock bags and affix those labels. Also, prescription liquid meds in original bottles (think cough meds) DONT fall into the 100ml TSA rule. Yes, I am a pharmacist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Heck, most are no longer faxed, they are send electronically from one computer to another. No paper involved.

You are right, mine are all e-mailed. I don't know what I was thinking when I said Fax, all my doctors e-mail them.

You can't keep the copy that goes to your pharmacy, but you can ask your MD for a handwritten Rx for a small amt , in case something happens to your meds, or you get delayed somewhere. My DD has epilepsy, and on one 2 week vacation, I had a 6 week supply of her meds, split into 3 different carry on bags AND copies of her scripts, just in case. (Unfortunately, I can't do that now, because she has Medicaid, & I can only get 1 month at a time now).

There’s no TSA rule on liquids on ships, I have carried on 20oz shampoo bottles and 8oz tubes of toothpaste on long and short cruises, even sunscreen in 10oz containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not only are there no TSA rules at ccruise ships, there is NO TSA. in cruise terminals..... only in airports.

Just be aware if you are traveling on other continents that some countries forbid some of the over-the-counter meds we are used to. Dubai come to mind. Do check if you are traveling to other countries their rules.