Unfair Drink Policy

Popcorn70

Keep watching you will get it sometime in the future

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know how it will end but putting that aside he has a valid point. These day when we don’t like something we call it fake news [emoji848] or question how many posts the Op has [emoji13]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last May the wife and I were on Enchantment and as always they were selling the drink package when you enter the ship but I walked past them and 20 minutes later we saw a guy in the hallway selling the package and my wife said that she has a glass of wine with dinner and a drink after dinner but my husband should really have the package. He took my card and put the sticker on it. It was pretty simple really.

Interesting. When was the second time and what ship?

There is exception for those that don't drink alcohol, for personal, medical or religious reasons, to not have to buy the package. They aren't going to make someone in AA buy the package when their spouse or traveling companion does. You do have to talk to guest services or contact them directly, rather than through the website, but it is relatively common.

On a recent 12-day cruise, in addition to the non-alcoholic coffee stuff and soda, I consumed 193 alcoholic beverages, almost all being a Stoli Sea Breeze.

That would be 16 drinks a day. I find that an EXTREMELY hard number to believe, especially for 12 days.

Just to clarify - they are not making everyone purchase a package unless one of them wants to purchase a package. If no one wants to buy any package they are not forced to. They can both purchase drinks anytime without a package.

Exactly that's what I observed. I saw 2 people turned down when trying to buy the package for themselves.

As much as I don't love this policy, it is what it is. Nobody is "forced" to do anything. We choose to cruise, we choose who we travel with, and we choose whether or not we want to purchase a drink package. You don't all have to purchase the deluxe package. Those of you who don't plan to drink alcohol can purchase the refreshment package. If you don't want to do that, you simply tell your traveling companion that you will not be purchasing a package. Then he/she can decide if they want to purchase it FOR you, or pay as they go.

On a recent 12-day cruise, in addition to the non-alcoholic coffee stuff and soda, I consumed 193 alcoholic beverages, almost all being a Stoli Sea Breeze.

That would be 16 drinks a day. I find that an EXTREMELY hard number to believe, especially for 12 days.

I've been looking for someone to mention this. I can't even imagine this amount of alcohol each day and still get off the ship, do tours or sightsee, etc. AND still manage 16 drinks a day ON the ship?? OMG ...

I've been looking for someone to mention this. I can't even imagine this amount of alcohol each day and still get off the ship, do tours or sightsee, etc. AND still manage 16 drinks a day ON the ship?? OMG ...

Awake for 16 hours, that means a drink an hour. That is moderate drinking for some alcoholics.

One drink an hour won't (or wouldn't when I was a heavy drinker) even give me a "buzz". I don't drink that much anymore but I got the deluxe with voom because it was $25 a day more than the refreshment package and adding on voom (I was going to be getting those anyway) and $25 is what two fancy drinks a day? It's a no brainer in that case. I'll prob avg 4-5 drinks a day, maybe more on sea days and then each day on labadee, but less on the other port days.

One drink an hour won't (or wouldn't when I was a heavy drinker) even give me a "buzz". I don't drink that much anymore but I got the deluxe with voom because it was $25 a day more than the refreshment package and adding on voom (I was going to be getting those anyway) and $25 is what two fancy drinks a day? It's a no brainer in that case. I'll prob avg 4-5 drinks a day, maybe more on sea days and then each day on labadee, but less on the other port days.

Did you start drinking when you got up? Keep in mind the 16 drinks/day is the AVERAGE. So if there were port stops when PP was off the ship, he would have had to "make up" that time on other days.

I agree, I can drink one drink an hour with little to no problem, but I don't know that I could do that all day for 12 days. It just seems really extreme to me.

We have 3 adults in our room. Because 1 person wants to buy the deluxe beverage package that includes alcohol every one in the room has to either buy that package or a deluxe package without alcohol. The cost is prohibitive. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, tea etc but am forced to buy an expensive package that I will not use. I understand some people, in the past have cheated, and that is why they have the policy. But why should I be punished for the behavior of others. They should find another way to enforce their alcohol consumption policy and not force me to spend hundreds of dollars. Note: this was not in place when I booked the cruise.

But why should I be punished for the behavior of others. Because thats the way the world works. Good people always pay for the bad.

Did you start drinking when you got up? Keep in mind the 16 drinks/day is the AVERAGE. So if there were port stops when PP was off the ship, he would have had to "make up" that time on other days.

I agree, I can drink one drink an hour with little to no problem, but I don't know that I could do that all day for 12 days. It just seems really extreme to me.

Not regularly no, but it wouldn't be unusual for me to average 2 drinks an hour, and if we were by the pool or on a beach (especially if they were already paid for, and not a payg) at 9-10 in the morning to already have a beachy drink in hand. Not saying it's something I did on a daily basis year round, but on vacation it wouldn't be a (or have been) big deal. The port days would be a break (lighter days because I was off the ship a good bit of the day) but I can easily see averaging 15-16 drinks a day.

All that being said, I couldn't do that today, I haven't drank significantly in about 13 years so I have less built up tolerance plus the older I get the more I feel it the next day lol

NCL never charged double for solo passengers in solo cabins. They do make everyone purchase the beverage package unless the first two passengers got it as a perk.
They don't charge double, but the cost for a solo cabin is still significantly higher than if one shares a cabin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I was glad to see that others share my frustration. My husband and I ran into this problem just last week. My husband does not drink. I chose the package for the drinks and voom package. It was a good deal. We did have to call back in order to speak with a second representative. In the end we were able to purchase one soda and one delux with voom. Our feelings were the same as others on this post, upset for being punished for others sharing the drink package. I just wanted to add that the first person we talked to stated that we would need a doctors note to reflect why he doesn't drink. If people plan to purchase on board and their cabin mate does not drink for medical reasons maybe bring a doctors note along. It sounds like people have been able to purchase 1 package with out a problem but hey , you never know.

• 3 months later...
You are able to buy seperate packages, at least I was. I just had to call I couldn't do it online. My husband doesn't drink so he got the refresh package and I got the deluxe package

Which was mentioned at least a dozen times in this thread. Please read beyond the first post.