Tip Porters?

Beachlover1989

I agree with Boston Joe. You are going on a beautiful ship, with good food, entertainment, service, and ports of call, ENJOY THE TRIP! Don't go looking for problems, look for additional ways to enjoy the trip. The porters (stevadores) have a difficult job don't you make it any harder. I've witnessed people verbally abusing them in Baltimore and at Port Everglades and I can't figure out what the purpose of treating someone poorly is.

We usually cruise with 4 bags, (yes, we over pack), and give the port porters $20 (5 per bag).

For at most 30 seconds of work?!? That equates to $2,400/hour, not even counting the generous wages they are already earning without people throwing money at them.

The answer to the OP's question is quite simple.

Of course you tip the porters and it doesn't matter what country your in. ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I take it you just do it your way whatever country you're in? You are aware there are some countries where tipping is just not part of the culture at all? Countries where people don't expect tipping. Oh yes the person who your give the cash to might be grateful - who doesn't mind having cash put in their hand but to most others looking on you risk looking a pratt

For at most 30 seconds of work?!? That equates to $2,400/hour, not even counting the generous wages they are already earning without people throwing money at them.

I remember a few years ago a thread on another forum discussed the tips expected by porters at JFK. It at showed that if you tipped the suggested amount most could expect to "earn" $200k a year. Good money for pushing a trolley to a car

We haven't either.
Same here and we sail mostly out of PE. More often than not they point out the correct entrance, remind us to have our passports and SetSail pass out, and send us off with a nice 'enjoy your vacation.'

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The answer to the OP's question is quite simple.

Of course you tip the porters and it doesn't matter what country your in. If the porter doesn't want or can't except your tip they will be the ones to tell you.

When travelling on vacation or amongst the service industries it is only polite to tip those who are helping you along your way and enjoying your vacation. If the 5 or 10 dollars you tip the luggage embarkation steward is going to make or break your vacation bank you probably shouldn't be taking a cruise anyway!

If you run across a steward who's grouchy, maybe having a bad day leave him or her with a tip and a smile, maybe you can be the difference in his or her day getting better.

ALWAYS keep in mind, your on vacation. Getting ready to board a fantastic and beautiful cruise ship. Enjoy every aspect of it, even boarding and disembarking. If your one of these miserable people that can actually find fault while on a cruise please let other people alone, start with me. My next trip is 2/23 on Princess going to the southern Caribbean. My name really is Joe, if you meet me and your in a bad mood just keep on going...please!

Exactly and well said ! If you are one of those people who begrudge service people a gratuity because you’ve done the math ( incorrectly) and figured out how much they earn per minute / hourly / daily and yearly then do yourself a favor and stay home . You’ll find happiness in balancing your checkbook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly and well said ! If you are one of those people who begrudge service people a gratuity because you’ve done the math ( incorrectly) and figured out how much they earn per minute / hourly / daily and yearly then do yourself a favor and stay home . You’ll find happiness in balancing your checkbook.

I balance my checking account every day and do get a tiny thrill when all is well - I do it because I've had 2 accounts compromised in the past 5 years. But I must say when dealing with the SERVICE industry I expect service with a smile. Note the emphasis on SERVICE. BTW, I,my wife and 2 of our kids have all worked in the industry at one time or another so we've seen it from both ends.

Last time we cruised they were overwhelmed and we were directed to put our bags into piles ourself and to write our own luggage tag. I still tipped, being from Europe I never know when it is expected.

A tip is based on the service you receive. The amount you tip is a personal choice and based on the service you receive. I wouldn't have given a tip based on what you experience. No service.

A tip is based on the service you receive. The amount you tip is a personal choice and based on the service you receive. I wouldn't have given a tip based on what you experience. No service.

BINGO! DW tips automatically. I can't do that which is why we've been having "discussions" on what to tip the porters next month.

That's hilarious. Not all service people are in tipped positions; some receive low wages that is expected to be made up for in tips, other receive wages commensurate with the value of their work and either do not receive tips - or only receive tips if they do something over-and-above their basic job duties. As an example of service people who are rarely (if ever) tipped: Bus drivers of public transportation, flight attendants, baggers at grocery stores, dental hygienists, baggage handlers who offload luggage at airports, etc. etc. While people on this thread mean well (aside from a couple who like yourself who chose to make insulting comments towards others), many people do not realize the people serving at porters at US ports are union longshoremen earning hefty wages. They also do not realize when you hand off your luggage as you check in, they don't do much - they simply put it on a cart (next to them) and push the cart a few yards (not much service) and move on to the next passenger. They fall into the category of flight attendants, city bus drivers etc - yes, they are performing a small service, but they are already being fully compensated for this service (rather generously compensated for it) and there is absolutely no need to tip them unless having them perform some extra (above and beyond) service. While it is fine if somebody knowing this chooses to tip them anyway, it is absurd that you and another poster on this thread feel the need to make sweeping generalizations and insult people who choose not to tip for something for which there is no expectation of tipping.

I never really relax until I have my bags.

I don't want to be the one who sticks their head out the door and see all the bags lined up in front of the doors ....the hallway quiet ..... and no bags for me.:eek:

I do not want to think that perhaps I'll be without clothes for the cruise because I couldn't part with $5.

So, I always tip.

I never have had a porter ask for a tip.

Only once did I see him look down at the amount.

I don't want to be the one who sticks their head out the door and see all the bags lined up in front of the doors ....the hallway quiet ..... and no bags for me.:eek:

I do not want to think that perhaps I'll be without clothes for the cruise because I couldn't part with $5.

So, I always tip.

On my Christmas list I added a backpack designed with carry-on luggage in mind. We've already test packed it for March. 2 full changes of clothes for each, bathing suits, all meds, cruise and port paperwork, cameras, cell phones, Kindle, assorted chargers, books - still have room. Always good to have a backup plan.

So, I always tip.

This is my thought! And it’s not just for the cruise, but anywhere my bags will be handled by someone to get to my destination.

Why ruin a trip for $5 or in my case $10 dollars?

I hand the porter / skycap / bell hop their tip and smile. I am prepared when we get in the car for the port with my carry on ready to be separated, tip in hand, and a final check of tags to make this as painless for us and them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel the same way. In fact I won't enter the terminal until I can see our bags on the trolley (sometimes I have to wander around until I spot them -- drives my husband bonkers...)

I would give a very generous tip to anyone who can explain why a few hardhards (one in particular) would invest so much time and effort arguing and lecturing people about their personal choice to tip someone. It must be a control thing or perhaps someone who has to have the last word in any discussion. Anyway, I might have to reconsider my "porter tipping habits" now that I know they make $2,400 an hour - or almost $5 million per year!

I feel the same way. In fact I won't enter the terminal until I can see our bags on the trolley (sometimes I have to wander around until I spot them -- drives my husband bonkers...)

Ha, ha. Me too.

We drop the bags off, get back in the car and I'll be saying to my dh, don't go yet......I have to make sure he moves those bags.:D

I take it you just do it your way whatever country you're in? You are aware there are some countries where tipping is just not part of the culture at all? Countries where people don't expect tipping. Oh yes the person who your give the cash to might be grateful - who doesn't mind having cash put in their hand but to most others looking on you risk looking a pratt
Yes, I do it my way, my way is to offer a tip, if others look down on that that's your or their problem. If there was signage that specifically said no tipping of course I wouldn't, but in my travels all over the world I have never seen such signage in resort areas. I would also never offer a tip such as in an dark alley in Jamaica but I would also never find my self in a dark alley in Jamaica but to each their own.

That's hilarious. Not all service people are in tipped positions; some receive low wages that is expected to be made up for in tips, other receive wages commensurate with the value of their work and either do not receive tips - or only receive tips if they do something over-and-above their basic job duties. As an example of service people who are rarely (if ever) tipped: Bus drivers of public transportation, flight attendants, baggers at grocery stores, dental hygienists, baggage handlers who offload luggage at airports, etc. etc. While people on this thread mean well (aside from a couple who like yourself who chose to make insulting comments towards others), many people do not realize the people serving at porters at US ports are union longshoremen earning hefty wages. They also do not realize when you hand off your luggage as you check in, they don't do much - they simply put it on a cart (next to them) and push the cart a few yards (not much service) and move on to the next passenger. They fall into the category of flight attendants, city bus drivers etc - yes, they are performing a small service, but they are already being fully compensated for this service (rather generously compensated for it) and there is absolutely no need to tip them unless having them perform some extra (above and beyond) service. While it is fine if somebody knowing this chooses to tip them anyway, it is absurd that you and another poster on this thread feel the need to make sweeping generalizations and insult people who choose not to tip for something for which there is no expectation of tipping.

You might want to check your facts: The porters are not paid the same wages as the normal longshoremen who off load cargo ships. They're not poor, but not paid the wages you feel they are.

Keithm , you might be right . Porters may be the service people who tag , load your bags on a cart and send them on their way. Stevedores ( longshoremen) are those laborers who load the luggage on the ship. It seems to me they are a different classification of workers. Anyhow , in trying to find out the pay scale , I found Bonzo70 at it in 2009 and 2012. You’ve been at it for years , singing the same song . Don’t tip if it irks you so . Put it to rest !

Keithm , you might be right . Porters may be the service people who tag , load your bags on a cart and send them on their way. Stevedores ( longshoremen) are those laborers who load the luggage on the ship. It seems to me they are a different classification of workers. Anyhow , in trying to find out the pay scale , I found Bonzo70 at it in 2009 and 2012. You’ve been at it for years , singing the same song . Don’t tip if it irks you so . Put it to rest !

And perhaps you noticed to in one of the old threads the Port of Miami confirmed they are union longshoremen that normally earn $40 to $60 per/hour, but are often getting 1.5x pay for overtime ($60 to $90) when serving as porters at cruise terminals. This was several years ago, so likely significantly higher now. There is a reason there are signs saying they do not need to be tipped. Keep insulting me though, you are the one being scammed.

People who are estimating wages for the porters and calculating amounts as high as $200,000 annually are not thinking it through. Yes, perhaps if they worked 8-10 hours per day for 7+ days a week and everyone tipped generously that might be the case. But think about it. There is a rush in the morning hours as people get on and off the ship. They are not loading luggage at 4:00 pm for a ship that sailed at 3:30. Also, there are peak periods (Friday, Sat, Sun) where they need to employ a lot of porters to get the job done. And then there are non-peak periods (the other days of the week) where there are some cruises but not nearly as many as on the week-end. I suspect many of the porters work less than 40 hours per week, and I also suspect many people do not tip, or do not tip a lot so $200M seems a bit unreasonable when you do the math.

Me as well and I've never had a porter ask or demand a tip.

We haven't either.

I've read posts from both of you many times over the years and have always enjoyed and valued your input. I'm sure each of you cruise more often than me, so it surprises me that you have not been solicited for a tip or even heard a remark that directly "encouraged" you to give a tip.

Of my 11-12 cruises, about half have originated in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I suspect that at least 50% or more included a very obvious expectation or request for a tip.

They do get a tip from me, but less than they would have if they hadn't made it so obvious that it was expected or required.

YMMV

Walter