Tip Porters?

Beachlover1989

My understanding is in US ports the people who take your luggage are union longshoremen often earning very hefty wages. You have already compensated them via your port fees and no need to tip them any more then people who load your luggage on/off planes. When handing the porters luggage as you board the ship all they do is put it on a cart, push the cart a few yards and from there others do 99% of the work. While many people seem to tip them, absolutely no need. Some ports even have signs reminding people they do not need to be tipped.

Now if you have them provide an extra service, such as take your luggage from your car if driving to port or fill out new luggage tags for you, tipping would be warranted - but not merely for the ten seconds of work involved in putting your luggage on a cart and pushing it a few yards.

We sailed out of Miami in Nov and took a shuttle in from a off site parking lot. The shuttle driver 7nloaded the luggage and the porter stood there guarding the luggage and would not take our luggage until we showed him our passport and cruise documents, and naturally had his hand out.

It is extortion and if you think that they can’t do anything guess again. They could tear off your luggage tags. 🤗

Just have to consider that along with all the other tips to be the cost of traveling.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I know sometimes people have some mixed reactions about the porters but I have to say that we have found the porters to be very helpful not only in dropping off our bags but also when we have gotten off the ships and needed assistance to take our bags outside to meet either private vehicles or taxis. On occasions porters have stood with us for 10 or 15 minutes and/or navigated sidewalks and streets and placed the luggage in the vehicle and stood there until we were driven off. We will tip them more when they assist us on disembarkation day particularly if it involves more time and getting out to the vehicle as I mentioned.

Keith

We call Fort Lauderdale Tip City.

We arrive with a roll of $5 bills for 2 bags, sometimes three bags if our son is travelling with us. The shuttle or taxi driver gets a tip for off loading the bags at the port, airport and hotel. If a porter takes them from the driver, he gets $5. On the way home, one of the porters with a trolley, collected our 3 bags and encouraged us to put our carry-on bags on the trolley. He then wheeled the bags out and hailed a cab for us and loaded our bags into the cab. For the short walk, we gave him $15, the best bargain of the entire cruise.

I would always tip in Southampton, baggage is collected from taxi leaving us free to check in.

We park at the port using ABP, they collect the luggage using a van once we have a removed it from the car, that's part of the service we have paid for. If taxi drivers are handling our luggage we would tip as that is not part of their normal duties. If using the ABP car park t the port you shouldn't feel under any pressure to tip if you don't wish to.

We sailed out of Miami in Nov and took a shuttle in from a off site parking lot. The shuttle driver 7nloaded the luggage and the porter stood there guarding the luggage and would not take our luggage until we showed him our passport and cruise documents, and naturally had his hand out.

It is extortion and if you think that they can’t do anything guess again. They could tear off your luggage tags. ��

Just have to consider that along with all the other tips to be the cost of traveling.

Happy cruising ����������

We had a similar experience taking a cab to the port of Miami. We’d heard the Florida ports had very aggressive porters, and found it to be true. The porter made it VERY clear that our two bags could arrive in good shape, or not. As we were leaving on a 16 day TA we paid up. Oddly enough our bags arrived intact, but three hours apart!

The porter in Cape Liberty was a lovely contrast, pleasant and helpful without the least hint of demanding a tip.

• Like 1

We had a similar experience taking a cab to the port of Miami. We’d heard the Florida ports had very aggressive porters, and found it to be true. The porter made it VERY clear that our two bags could arrive in good shape, or not. As we were leaving on a 16 day TA we paid up. Oddly enough our bags arrived intact, but three hours apart!

The porter in Cape Liberty was a lovely contrast, pleasant and helpful without the least hint of demanding a tip.

I agree with you -- Bayonne/Cape Liberty is the best. The cruise lines need to do something about the extortion going on at Ft. Lauderdale and Miami ports.

• Like 1

We did (and saw others tip) in Southampton....I don’t know if there are port specific rules. We just see a small tip as a much appreciated ‘thankyou’...

I would always tip in Southampton, baggage is collected from taxi leaving us free to check in.

Is Southampton like Venice in having official porters at taxi drop off areas? Can you tell me what amount would be a reasonable tip for two bags (neither oversized nor overweight)? Thank you.

Fort Lauderdale is terrible. Really didn’t think I had any choice but to give a decent tip when the porter has his hand out saying “I’m the one who makes sure your bag gets on the boat”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fort Lauderdale is terrible. Really didn’t think I had any choice but to give a decent tip when the porter has his hand out saying “I’m the one who makes sure your bag gets on the boat”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should be reported to the police - they seem to be running a multi million dollar Protection Racket.

Port of Miami deals with 5 million cruise passengers a year if everyone were to pay $5 a bag ....

Edited by DYKWIA

We were at Miami port and got out of a taxi. He simply took it from us and dropped onto the conveyor belt. Is there a later point that we could have dropped off ourselves?

I was talking specifically about Vancouver in response to another poster, have never embarked at Miami.

Do not tip in the UK - it is not expected !

In contrast to your opinion in our experience a small ‘thankyou’ is generally expected and definitely appreciated.

We have seen lots of porters on our two trips this year from Southampton gracefully accepting tips from guests who were happy to oblige. Whilst I have never experienced any of the porters being in anyway aggressive towards the ‘need’ to give a tip I would have felt very uncomfortable not offering a small thankyou to the hard working staff looking after our bags.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, so I apologize. Is one expected to tip the porters who take your bags at check in at the port? Thank you! Lisa

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes! About $2/bag. When we disembark, if the porter gets us through the line right to the taxi/limo I'll usually give him $20. It's worth it not having to go through an exhausting line.

To summarize, when dropping bags at embarkation port:

US ports: tips not required, but certainly expected at some ports notorious for intimidation tactics. Reasonable tip for two bags is $4.00 or $5.00.

Canadian ports: tips not required, but possibly expected.

UK ports: tips not required, but possibly expected and deserved.

Would UK and Canadian residents kindly give the rest of us some guidance as to what is meant by a small or reasonable tip in your respective ports?

There seems to be less consensus at disembarkation ports, so I haven’t tried to summarize that topic.

I admit I have not read this entire post, my question is tipping porters at the Sydney Passenger cruise terminal? I have seen bags damaged in US ports if the porters felt like they did not receive enough of a tip! Thanks for the answer in advance!

US ports: tips not required, but certainly expected at some ports notorious for intimidation tactics. Reasonable tip for two bags is $4.00 or $5.00.

Would UK and Canadian residents kindly give the rest of us some guidance as to what is meant by a small or reasonable tip in your respective ports?

There seems to be less consensus at disembarkation ports, so I haven’t tried to summarize that topic.

Same as in US, $4-$5 for two bags. Either CAD or USD.

My friend and I will have a bag each but I may need a wheelchair at the pier as with my recent broken ankle may tire easily. How much of a tip is considered reasonable?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I'd think that your friend might need to help you a bit with the wheelchair, so I'd say $5 for the pair of you. BTW, so glad to see that you decided to come!

My friend and I will have a bag each but I may need a wheelchair at the pier as with my recent broken ankle may tire easily. How much of a tip is considered reasonable?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

For tips google tipping wheelchair pusher

This will help you. From celebrity site:

Extra Assistance at the Pier

Celebrity Cruises offers boarding and departure assistance to guests with mobility disabilities. Request assistance once you arrive at the pier or contact us prior to your cruise so that we may prioritize your needs during boarding. During peak times there may be a wait for assistance. Many ports provide easy access for wheelchairs and scooters, however due to various conditions: steepness of the gangway, tendering, weather, tidal and sea conditions, and shore-side facilities, guests using assistive devices may be precluded from getting on or off the ship. We will make reasonable efforts to assist our guests, but for safety reasons, our staff is not permitted to lift guests or equipment. Assistance with manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc. will be provided.