Transpacific cruise - how rough are the seas?

BrookeJ75

Hi All

I am a novice when it comes to cruising unlike you. (1 Carnival with 1 P & O booked - both South Pacific). I am really interested in doing a Transpacific cruise from Sydney to Hawaii via Bora Bora, however am concerned the seas may be rough.

We had a few nights that were a bit rough on the last cruise, one on the way out and one on the way back. I do get seasick although took medication last time before even getting on the ship. Don't make fun, but I do also have a fear of the ship sinking or rolling over in big swell (told you I was inexperienced).

Can anyone advise if this is something to worry about in either a April or October cruise in that part of the world :eek:

TIA

April would be my choice. Larger swells in the Winter in the Pacific, thus the gathering on the North Shore every year.

Then again it’s called the “Pacific” for a reason.

Don’t let your fears hold you back.

Don’t hesitate, medicate!

Edited by Cuervosar

Nope, no one can predict the weather but there are ocean areas where either sea currents react seasonally and you get higher swells and sea states. But that transit isn’t one of them.

I’ve not made that transit in a cruise ship but have on Navy ships. Didn’t experience any real issues except when a storm roughed up the seas. And yes, that’s not predictable. But the general comment about higher swells as possible in the winter is correct. But I’d not cruise because of that. Still pretty calm overall.

Agree, go for it.

Den

We have sailed Sydney to Hawaii twice and had very calm seas, but as others have said there is no guarantee it will be very calm. If it gets a little rough take your meds (that you have brought with you) and dream of Bora Bora. Prettiest place on earth.:)

We have done the Pacific crossing from Australia to LA or San Fran via Hawaii and French Polynesia and the reverse four times and had amazing weather each time.

Various dates between late November and March. Weather was beautifully warm and the seas calm all the way.

Don't know if we were just lucky but we would do this crossing again in a flash as we love sea days.

Three cruises were on Regent and one on Crystal but can't afford them anymore and we are thinking of a Celebrity Sydney to Hawaii for our next crossing. Have sailed on the Solstice three times and enjoyed it.

You will love French Polynesia and Moorea especially , even more so than Bora Bora.

Oh, I just re read your post and noted you were asking about April or October. I can't comment from personal experience about those months but as Den the previous poster said "go for it!".

Cheers.

WE have sailed this area numerous times and my experience is that it can range from the sea being very calm to some sea swells to it being rough.

It's a beautiful area to sail and the key is to be prepared.

If possible try to book a room mid-ship and on a lower deck.

I highly recommend the itinerary.

Keith

I had similar concerns before our October TP Hawaii to Sydney. I boarded with lots of Dramamine just in case. Each morning I listened to the Captains report and decided if I should, as a precaution, take a tablet...

We had no iffy seas at all until we were well past Bora Bora and on route to New Zealand. We were well warned that swells and rain were expected for the next two days. I took my meds, chose my food wisely and cut back (a little!) on the alcohol and I was absolutely fine. The swimming pools were closed one day as the water was sloshing around. After that no more issues...

We were mid ship but high up. We definitely could feel the motion more at the rear of the ship.

This cruise remains my favourite ever... I would book again in a heartbeat!

How can anyone predict the weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're right, no one can, but we can share details of the weather we experienced when cruising in this area.

For us the seas were very calm. We would count this as one of our favourite cruises, truly magical, full of "pinch me, am I really here" moments. [emoji846]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We did the Sydney to Hawaii this past April. We didn't really have any rough seas and I also get motion sickness. I brought pills with me incase I really needed them, but I didn't. I also brought candied ginger since that helps the stomach. I haven't really needed that either, but it always seems to disappear anyway. :D Whole Foods or Trader Joe's has it. You can also get a can of ginger ale if you need to. We will be taking the Seattle to Sydney cruise in October and I hope it's just as calm as last April, but you never know.

You're right' date=' no one can, but we can share details of the weather we experienced when cruising in this area.

For us the seas were very calm. We would count this as one of our favourite cruises, truly magical, full of "pinch me, am I really here" moments. [emoji846']

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thanks for your comments, I appreciate it :D

Nope, no one can predict the weather but there are ocean areas where either sea currents react seasonally and you get higher swells and sea states. But that transit isn’t one of them.

I’ve not made that transit in a cruise ship but have on Navy ships. Didn’t experience any real issues except when a storm roughed up the seas. And yes, that’s not predictable. But the general comment about higher swells as possible in the winter is correct. But I’d not cruise because of that. Still pretty calm overall.

Agree, go for it.

Den

Thanks Den :D

We have also sailed this route before two times in November. Both sailings were extremely smooth and at times you didn't even know you were on a ship.

I am sure that each sailing is different and you could experience high seas.

I use a site called Storm Surf that show predicted wave heights in an animated model over a seven day period

http://www.stormsurf.com/mdls/menu_wam.html

Click on the area you will be sailing and watch the storm models and get an idea over time what to expect. While you can't predict your sailing it give you an idea of where the seas tend to be rough.

At first I also had fears, and seeing the boat so big I said this thing is not moved by anyone. Dizziness is in your head, do not suggest. I recommend the sea bands, for me they were very effective in the Irish and Northern seas.

91ZJPK8QNeL._SL1500_.jpg

Doing the Solstice in April Sydney to Honolulu and hope it is good. Great replies here. Last time I did this transit I was several hundred feet under water so this time I will be able to see the sun!

I was on the same cruise last year. There was one day where the waves were as high as Luminae. I imagine most people would not consider that to be a problem. It was the only day I suffered with sea sickness. Other than that one day, the seas were calm and it was the most amazing experience. Moorea was my favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there,

We did the Sydney to Hawaii crossing in April last year on the a Carnival Legend. When we left Sydney we experienced high seas courtesy of the tail end of Cyclone Debbie. Our three grandchildren are prone to seasickness. That first night my granddaughter asked if I could get a helicopter to land on the ship and take her home. The next day she awoke to much calmer seas and a smile on her face. From then on once we got away from the Australian coastline the seas were as flat as a billiard table. A fantastic trip was had by the seven of us. The visit to the Tahitian Islands will live in our memories forever. Moorea and Bora Bora were so idyllic and the memory of my eldest grandson being towed under water on the back of a harmless big black shark will never be erased.

So my advice is be prepared with medication, but just go. It will be fine once you get your sea legs. And you might run into someone you know. We were on a day boat tour in Moorea when a jet ski went flying past being driven by President Obama with one of his daughters as a pillion passenger. Closely followed,mI might add, by a team of anxious security detail on their jet skis.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi - as many have already said, it is hard to predict. Did the Solstice from Sydney to Hawaii in April 2016. Although the Tasman sea is notorious for swell, was virtually calm all the way to NZ The night we left Auckland for the stretch to Tahiti, we had a strong cold front come through and the next 2 days had 4-5 metres of swell with 3 metres of sea (chop stirred up by the 50knt wind), so the ship had 7-8 metres of waves to contend with. Did rock a bit for 2 days, and laying in bed at night was interesting with the rolling.

Out of Bora Bora we had a low pressure system (tropical storm) close by, so again, windy, rain and swell. Only lasted a day and we were back to smooth sailing

We were on deck 6 forward in a balcony room. I get seasick a bit, and had TravelCalm with me, but didn't need it. Maybe after 4 days already onboard, I had adjusted to the sea before we hit the rough weather.

Just take some anti-nausea medication, or those sea-bands or patches, and enjoy the ride. Not once did we feel the ship struggling with the weather. They are built for it.

Have fun!