Warning: Azamara cancels our cruise two days out: Gaurantee is not a guarantee

lahore

For some perspective, here is an updated article on Cruise Critic about various situations in which cruises get cancelled out from under passengers -- on all cruise lines:

Could You Be Bumped from Your Next Cruise?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340

Note especially the section on Cruise Ship Overbooking

For some perspective, here is an updated article on Cruise Critic about various situations in which cruises get cancelled out from under passengers -- on all cruise lines:

Could You Be Bumped from Your Next Cruise?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340

Note especially the section on Cruise Ship Overbooking

Thanks for that, Jazzbeau, it’s a great article.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From the article linked by Jazzbeau:

It may be a little-known fact, but like airlines, cruise lines overbook their ships. The thinking is the same: cruise lines want to sail full, but know some passengers will always cancel at the last minute. As a result, they've developed sophisticated means of determining how many passengers are likely to cancel cruises before making final payment -- so they have a very good idea of how much inventory they can oversell without making bumping a likelihood. Nonetheless, no system is foolproof, and overbooking does occur.

As long as passengers in U.S.A. DON’T loose their deposits, this situation is likely to continue. The cruise lines are caught up in situations where they could loose revenue.

Bookings in the UK, mean that, passengers intend taking their cruise.

From the article linked by Jazzbeau:

As long as passengers in U.S.A. DON’T loose their deposits, this situation is likely to continue. The cruise lines are caught up in situations where they could loose revenue.

Bookings in the UK, mean that, passengers intend taking their cruise.

I don't believe that would make any difference, after final payment date the cruise line will know how many unsold cabins are left.

I disagree. Two days notice was terrible. If there are 8 weeks notice you can rearrange your life. Two days before a cruise I am already at the departure port.

I'm with you MNgardens, the OP was at the airport about to board her flight when she received a phone call from Azamara. Not acceptable in my book.

I disagree. Two days notice was terrible. If there are 8 weeks notice you can rearrange your life. Two days before a cruise I am already at the departure port.

I agree the situation created by Amazara was terrible and I like many others was very disappointed with the company. My heart also went out to Lahore. I could not have handled the situation in such an controlled manner. Her clear reporting got to us all including Amazara. I think she did us all a favour by bringing this awful practice to our attention.

It seems that cruising companies are up there with the airlines. Apart from taking out insurance or stopping cruising there seems little one can do . The earlier post mentioned at lease luxury cruising brand.

My point however was the compensation in comparison with the one quoted in the post, $25 OBC in one instance.

Free cruise and decent OBC was an improvement to the compensation quoted in earlier link.

Yes it should not have happened. Yes I’m shocked that Amazara let it happen . Definitely not acceptable my book either .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is an example of my joking about averages. I used to tell our children that if they stood in two buckets, one with ice water and one with burning charcoal, they would, on average, be comfortable.

In this case, Azamara created a horrible situation but ended up being more generous than legally required with their compensation. So I would give them an overall grade of C at best (split between the F for marketing/revenue and A for customer service).

But it does not erase the negative feelings so many (including me) have expressed about the woefully short notice and initial handling of the issue. The system needs a major review and overhaul to make sure this never happens again. It is unfathomable to me that nobody knew more than two days in advance that there was a problem on that cruise that would cause some algorithm to be invoked. Let's not get into exactly how that works, but we can all agree that it should have happened closer to final payment date.

My thoughts exactly! Apparently what they meant by “guarantee” is actually waitlisted, and they should state that without the flimflam. I understand the need for corporations to make a profit, but they have to remember that without customers there’s no money at all... and no business. That seems to be a lost concept these days.

I am, as my Australian friend would say, gobsmacked reading this thread. I had only heard of cruise lines doing this in the case of charters, and with a decent amount of notice - not 2 days before. Neither is right.

A contract should afford both sides equal treatment, but sadly that’s not the reality these days, either. They should just make it plain and simple. Just come right out and say, “we hold all the cards, and you’re screwed. Take it or leave it.” That’s the gist of most of them anyway.

I don’t think Azamara “stepped up” to do the right thing. They were dragged kicking and screaming by the power of social media, and we would do well to keep that in mind when we hear talk of Net Neutrality. Corporations would love to hobble sites like this where the power of people in large numbers can be marshaled against them.

We haven’t cruised Azamara. We are currently booked on 2 Viking cruises, but my TA is telling me we would like Azamara, and some friends enjoyed a recent cruise, so I’ve been checking things out. I’m thinking - at least for now - we will stick with Viking.

I gotta say this is the “JOKE of the century” when Viking pulled the same identical crap on us 6 years ago, two differences, 1 it was 7 days before not 2. And they didn’t resolve and had no intention of resolving until we hired an attorney to enforce “our” right to be made whole....I live by two rules both of which come from dealing with companies who put their interests way ahead of yours and as such I never do business with Viking or United (another long sad story).

Viking pulled the same identical crap on us 6 years ago, two differences, 1 it was 7 days before not 2. And they didn’t resolve and had no intention of resolving until we hired an attorney to enforce “our” right to be made whole..

Ugh.. I asked in Viking's forum if they overbook and how they handle it if not enough people cancel. Looking like I have my answer. :o I'm assuming you had a "guaranteed" reservation without a stateroom number assigned?

I won't say/ask anymore about it because I don't want to hijack a thread about Azamara.

I gotta say this is the “JOKE of the century” when Viking pulled the same identical crap on us 6 years ago, two differences, 1 it was 7 days before not 2. And they didn’t resolve and had no intention of resolving until we hired an attorney to enforce “our” right to be made whole....I live by two rules both of which come from dealing with companies who put their interests way ahead of yours and as such I never do business with Viking or United (another long sad story).

Wow 6 years ago!

ALL companies put their interests way ahead of ours - it’s the nature of the beast.

I would never, ever book a “guaranteed cabin. Never ever.

Hi all

An update: we are still very much enjoying the experience on board. Compared with other lines it’s what’s not here that we really like. No infuriating fake cheerful messages every five minutes about art auctions, bingo, and other garbage. No horrible piped music. No formal evenings. And the general environment, indeed as the adverts say, of class without pretentiousness.

I have had written confirmation from somebody very senior in Miami that the cruise is complimentary for us.

I will not reiterate everything everyone here has said, most of which I strongly agree with. Many strong points have been made and I’m sure significant learning has occurred as a result of this thread.

For us personally we feel more than adequately compensated. One person in particular on board, a very senior staff member, is doing everything s/he can to ensure that we have a wonderful time and keeps checking in on us. The error was horrible, but the rectification has been more than adequate.

We have booked and put down a deposit on a future cruise with Azamara.

Unless anybody has any specific questions for me I would like to make this my final post and thank everybody on here most sincerely for all their help and support.

Hugs to all.

Lahore, it is so good to hear that you are having an enjoyable cruise. I have my own views about who the crew member might be who is looking after you so well. This person is a huge credit to Azamara and would have been totally mortified at your predicament.

Hope the rest of your cruise is equally wonderful

Delighted to hear how well it has turned out for you. Your professionalism has shone throughout all of this, you too should take a lot of credit for how this had turned out.

Delighted to hear how well it has turned out for you. Your professionalism has shone throughout all of this, you too should take a lot of credit for how this had turned out.

Absolutely agree. Glad you are able to enjoy your cruise!