RCCL We pick your cabin

MsMarley

We are looking at an Alaskan cruise for this summer (as budget friendly as possible) and if we book the “we pick your cabin” rate we will save an additional $300 off the interior room rate.

I am wondering if any of you have selected this option before and if so what rooms were you assigned?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking at an Alaskan cruise for this summer (as budget friendly as possible) and if we book the “we pick your cabin” rate we will save an additional $300 off the interior room rate.

I am wondering if any of you have selected this option before and if so what rooms were you assigned?

It varies. Most will get a cabin in the category that the guarantee was for while a few will get upgraded to a higher category cabin.

With a Z GTY booking, you are very likely going to get an inside - you can hope to get an assignment early so that you may have a chance to move to another more desirable location.

I have had bad luck with letting them pick my room. The worst one was the room over the galley. My inside cabin would stink of bacon in the morning and curry in the afternoon and evening. And you could not get the stink out of the room. The other one I had was next to a pipe that would drain the pool and fill it. That always took place between 2-3 am nightly.

I selected this option in January for a cruise in March and its driving me bananas. They haven't assigned us a room yet. I wouldn't do this again, my nerves can't handle it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I assumed we wouldn’t know until cruise time. It is a gamble but I’ve also heard that they pull from this category for upgrades once interior cabins sell out.

With a Z GTY booking, you are very likely going to get an inside - you can hope to get an assignment early so that you may have a chance to move to another more desirable location.

We are already booked in an interior cabin. We figure Alaska is an adventure trip and all about the ports, not relaxing in the cabin so we want to spend the extra money on excursions. My worry is that this would put us on a lower deck or by machinery.

We are already booked in an interior cabin. We figure Alaska is an adventure trip and all about the ports, not relaxing in the cabin so we want to spend the extra money on excursions. My worry is that this would put us on a lower deck or by machinery.

None of the passenger decks are near any audible machinery.

I have had bad luck with letting them pick my room. The worst one was the room over the galley. My inside cabin would stink of bacon in the morning and curry in the afternoon and evening. And you could not get the stink out of the room. The other one I had was next to a pipe that would drain the pool and fill it. That always took place between 2-3 am nightly.

I dunno, the idea of waking up to the smell of bacon every morning and smelling something delicious like curry in the evening sounds heavenly.

I assumed we wouldn’t know until cruise time. It is a gamble but I’ve also heard that they pull from this category for upgrades once interior cabins sell out.

When booking a GTY you must be prepared to end up in the least desirable cabin. Yes it´s a gamble and you could end up in the Royal Suite with your inside GTY, though the chances for this to happen are probably a million times less likely than winning the lotto jackpot;).

Be prepared for lowest deck and furthest away from anything.

As for pulling upgrades, they would rather upgrade those paying full fares for their insides for upgrades to free up room for the GTY´s than upgrading the GTY´s, but as you said it´s a gamble and you might win big. Just be prepared with your expectations to not be disappointed.

It´s for sure a matter of personal preference, but especially for Alaska I would not want an inside. Alaska is often known for some scenic cruise days and not only the ports, so I want my comfy cabin for part of those days to lounge in and watch the scenery pass by. YMMV of course.

I selected this option in January for a cruise in March and its driving me bananas. They haven't assigned us a room yet. I wouldn't do this again, my nerves can't handle it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We book GTY cabins whenever we can, as it means we save money and can spend more on other things. Interesting you say about your nerves not handling it - I LOVE checking my booking every day (Yes, I know, saddo for checking every day) and its kind of exciting. :eek:

We have usually been happy with our allocation.

As UK guests we are at a slight disadvantage to the US guest as we cannot change cabins once assigned on a GTY, which is a shame and I dont understand why this rule is in place for UK guests. That said, we know the rules when we book, and we are willing to take the risk.

Good luck with your assignment, I hope you get a good one (y)

Jean

I booked a GTY for my TA and had a room allocated (perfect location too!) within 3 hours!!!

In the US once you have been allocated a room you can move to any other room within that category if you want. In the UK you can't. I have no idea why this rule is in place for the UK. Stupid rule.

I booked a GTY for my TA and had a room allocated (perfect location too!) within 3 hours!!!

In the US once you have been allocated a room you can move to any other room within that category if you want. In the UK you can't. I have no idea why this rule is in place for the UK. Stupid rule.

In this case I think it´s the US rule that´s stupid. The reason behind a GTY is to give them the opportunity to put you wherever it fits and you get a discounted rate for this. Why they undermine their own businessmodell with letting you change after an assignment is beyond me.

If you don't like the cabin they have assigned you you can always move to another cabin the same category if it's available. Some ships, some sailings I've got no problem with it. I went with the guarantee room this May on Allure because the savings justified it for a Central Park Balcony. I know I'll be on at least deck 8 and I know the general spot on the ship we will be.

Try telling that to those of us that have had cabins, near the area where they drop Anchor, certainly the loudest alarm clock ever !!!!

Good point, forgot about those. I would expect that the anchor dropping is probably only happening on Majesty and Enchantment now.

We always book inside cabins. The only time we spend any time at all in the cabin is early in the morning drinking coffee, watching news, and planning the day. We save much money which we use for more cruises. As far as low deck cabins go....those are the best. The addage among regular cruisers is..."the more you pay, the more you sway"....Low cabins move less than high decks. Perhaps we dont know any better, but we have 65 cruises and 15 TA's already and it has worked well.

Doug

Good point, forgot about those. I would expect that the anchor dropping is probably only happening on Majesty and Enchantment now.

Even worse than the amchor dropping is the use of the bow thrusters which is often loud and shaking on the lower forward decks. This happens with every docking and also when they use Dynamic Positioning System.

The favorite part of our Alaska cruise was sitting on our balcony watching the glaciers. With an inside cabin you have to get dressed and go to an observation area with lots of other people. Not my cup of tea. But if $$$ are in issue, I understand.