Sewage smell and buffet??? Large group ready to cancel!!!

capitalbarry

Anyone else wondering how a sewage stench discussion morphed into food?

For those of you recently off, would you care to comment on the condition of air quality around the ship?

I think because someone mentioned they smelled the sewage smell in or near the buffet.

Anyone else wondering how a sewage stench discussion morphed into food?

For those of you recently off, would you care to comment on the condition of air quality around the ship?

The thread is about sewage and buffet hence food?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The thread is about sewage and buffet hence food?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're right, Nikki! The original OP (which, I believe, is now post #7 due to the mods merging this thread with another on the same topic) was concerned with the buffet offerings, too. It's unfortunate that the mods didn't leave the OP as the OP under this thread title as the first post (now!!) doesn't mention anything about food.

So people are perfectly entitled to discuss the subject of food on this thread and cannot be accused of de-railing it.

Yes-I believe the OP posted on the smell and the bad buffet food. Not a bad smell at the buffet. With all the postings on 'that smell' [ #LynardSkynard] not sure I've read a post about the buffet area stinking:eek:

Yes-I believe the OP posted on the smell and the bad buffet food. Not a bad smell at the buffet. With all the postings on 'that smell' [ #LynardSkynard] not sure I've read a post about the buffet area stinking:eek:

I seem to remember there was one to that effect.

On Seaside now. We did a sleuthing trip and did not smell anything, in any of the places mentioned. We are still docked though, don’t know if that makes a difference

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How about now?

It would be a great relief if they took care of the problem!

Just off the seaside yesterday....

An awesome cruise!! Beautiful ship.

The smell....yes it is there but very intermittent at best. I only smelled it first getting on the ship on deck 6 or 7 I believe in the open lobby/atrium area. I would not call it a "sewage" smell. But it is odd. I could not place what it really smelled like...once I thought a diesel fuel smell..the other a kind of glue smell...like when you walk into a brand new building with new carpet.

There is no smell in the buffet at all.

The other place that I did smell it was on the very top next to the sports court. It is there for sure.

Honestly...I may have smelled it for 60 seconds in total the entire cruise in passing. And we roamed the ship constantly.

Do not let this influence your decision whatsoever, in my opinion.

The ship was more elegant and definitely cleaner than any of the RC or NCL ships I have been on.

Again we had a 10/10 experience.

Cheers

Macdon221

Honestly...I may have smelled it for 60 seconds in total the entire cruise in passing. And we roamed the ship constantly.

Do not let this influence your decision whatsoever, in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Great to hear you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, this won't satisfy those who are determined to find fault with Seaside and haven't even sailed on her yet! (I totally accept negative comments from those who've sailed on her - MSC is not for everybody). Every time something negative is posted, it's like "There, you see, it's not resolved".

Beam, the fact remains, the problem is not resolved. In spite of a large group of MSC cheerleaders chanting that it was already fixed back in January, and MSC writing to Travel agents claiming it was fixed in early February; Here we are in March with the same problem.

I certainly acknowledge there is some subjectivity to the severity of the problem. I believe all people have different levels of senses. Some people have great eyes and never need glasses. Some people have great ears and never need aids. Some people have great noses and are more effected by this sort of thing.

I completely believe those who claim that the smell didn't bother them. I believe the smell was only around for short bursts of time. I also believe those that claim they felt trapped in a vent-less cabin with the smell being pumped through the air conditioning and that it significantly detracted from their experience on-board.

Once MSC fixes the issue, the sewage smell topic will die off naturally. The only person to blame here for the continued discussion about sewer smell is MSC themselves.

IMO: What is unfortunate is not that 'we' aren't satisfied, what is unfortunate is that MSC hasn't fixed the problem yet.

One thing that appears to be clear is that not all posters are smelling sewage smells as has been claimed.

That is very much true and shouldn't be lost in the discussion. From the very first inaugural sailing some reported the smell while others didn't. Everything from no smells at all to brief smells, to gag and puke have been reported.

I believe both sides of the story and always have. Personally, I'm not willing to take the risk. Others are, and that's perfectly acceptable also. Viva la' difference

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Great to hear you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, this won't satisfy those who are determined to find fault with Seaside and haven't even sailed on her yet! (I totally accept negative comments from those who've sailed on her - MSC is not for everybody). Every time something negative is posted, it's like "There, you see, it's not resolved".

Well said, Beam. I haven’t weighed in lately since I’ve been busy with other things, but it seems clear that a small but vocal minority are committed to whining and complaining about this one issue, hoping to keep it in the forefront of everyone’s mind and dissuading as many people as possible from choosing MSC. It’s as if, no matter what the cruise line does to remediate the issue and no matter how many people say the smell is either very faint or nonexistent, they won’t be satisfied because their crusade is against MSC, pure and simple. They should just move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beam, the fact remains, the problem is not resolved. In spite of a large group of MSC cheerleaders chanting that it was already fixed back in January, and MSC writing to Travel agents claiming it was fixed in early February; Here we are in March with the same problem.

I certainly acknowledge there is some subjectivity to the severity of the problem. I believe all people have different levels of senses. Some people have great eyes and never need glasses. Some people have great ears and never need aids. Some people have great noses and are more effected by this sort of thing.

I completely believe those who claim that the smell didn't bother them. I believe the smell was only around for short bursts of time. I also believe those that claim they felt trapped in a vent-less cabin with the smell being pumped through the air conditioning and that it significantly detracted from their experience on-board.

Once MSC fixes the issue, the sewage smell topic will die off naturally. The only person to blame here for the continued discussion about sewer smell is MSC themselves.

IMO: What is unfortunate is not that 'we' aren't satisfied, what is unfortunate is that MSC hasn't fixed the problem yet.

A common sense approach.....

We were on two weeks and the first week hardly smelled it at all....well maybe for literally 10 seconds walking through the Jungle pool area.

The second week it seemed more prevalent, but only in certain areas....not all over the ship and not in our cabin at all for the two weeks.

Well said, Beam. I haven’t weighed in lately since I’ve been busy with other things, but it seems clear that a small but vocal minority are committed to whining and complaining about this one issue, hoping to keep it in the forefront of everyone’s mind and dissuading as many people as possible from choosing MSC. It’s as if, no matter what the cruise line does to remediate the issue and no matter how many people say the smell is either very faint or nonexistent, they won’t be satisfied because their crusade is against MSC, pure and simple. They should just move on!

I will agree to disagree. This forum is to help folks decide if they want to sail MSC or not and people are sharing their experiences to help folks decide. If you can live with a few small smells here and there (many ships have them) you may still want to sail on MSC. If you are particularly sensitive to smells, you may want to wait and see how it shakes out.

Why would anyone want to dissuade others from sailing on MSC, just because? I can't see how or why this is a crusade against MSC.

I will agree to disagree. This forum is to help folks decide if they want to sail MSC or not and people are sharing their experiences to help folks decide. If you can live with a few small smells here and there (many ships have them) you may still want to sail on MSC. If you are particularly sensitive to smells, you may want to wait and see how it shakes out.

Why would anyone want to dissuade others from sailing on MSC, just because? I can't see how or why this is a crusade against MSC.

Here’s why:

1. Half of the negative comments I’ve seen about the ship are from people haven’t been on it.

2. Many, if not most of the negative complaints are from people who just don’t like the kind of ship the Seaside is, it’s not that it’s bad for everyone, it’s just that their expectations are that it was going to be an American-style ship which it isn’t. (Comments like “this isn’t like Carnival, NCL, RCI, fill in the blank,” etc are a dead giveaway)

3. Those who cruised other lines and don’t like the Seaside universally fail to mention any of the negatives associated with other cruise lines, leading to the impression (which I think is deliberate, BTW) that MSC stands alone in the industry as being problematic.

Every cruise I’ve been on has had positives and negatives. MSC is no different than any other cruise line in that regard. If people don’t like what they offer or if they had a bad experience onboard, no problem, but no need to troll the discussion boards incessantly while offering nothing but complaints and negativity. You’ve made your point. It’s enough already.

Here’s why:

1. Half of the negative comments I’ve seen about the ship are from people haven’t been on it.

2. Many, if not most of the negative complaints are from people who just don’t like the kind of ship the Seaside is, it’s not that it’s bad for everyone, it’s just that their expectations are that it was going to be an American-style ship which it isn’t. (Comments like “this isn’t like Carnival, NCL, RCI, fill in the blank,” etc are a dead giveaway)

3. Those who cruised other lines and don’t like the Seaside universally fail to mention any of the negatives associated with other cruise lines, leading to the impression (which I think is deliberate, BTW) that MSC stands alone in the industry as being problematic.

Every cruise I’ve been on has had positives and negatives. MSC is no different than any other cruise line in that regard. If people don’t like what they offer or if they had a bad experience onboard, no problem, but no need to troll the discussion boards incessantly while offering nothing but complaints and negativity. You’ve made your point. It’s enough already.

DCGuy..... As you know I was a naysayer early on (more from the disconnect on how they marketed the ship).... However you and others helped educated me on MSC and as you stated I do feel MSC is being unfairly bashed. However I still feel things are evening out. You can see alot more positive feedback about the ship which helps balance out the negative feedback. I put more merit in reviews except when people still try to over exagarate things I/we know are not true and/or the ship offers .

We are on MSC Seaside right now. I have been on cruise critic for years, see my signature. We have smelled a few “whiffs” as we have on every cruise we have ever been on.

We have even sought out the areas complained off, and not found a problem.

We are having a great cruise.

We are on MSC Seaside right now. I have been on cruise critic for years, see my signature. We have smelled a few “whiffs” as we have on every cruise we have ever been on.

We have even sought out the areas complained off, and not found a problem.

We are having a great cruise.

Thanks for checking in and glad to hear your having an enjoyable cruise!! We will be sailing on Seaside in less than 2 weeks and are really looking forward to it.

One thing that appears to be clear is that not all posters are smelling sewage smells as has been claimed.

......... and, of those that are, some are reporting that basically it's not enough to make a fuss about.

I've had experience of bad smells around other ships before but I've never seen it commented on before - never to this extent. It's noticeable that those posters who comment on experiencing it, are doing so only because of the subject being discussed here. I wonder how many would even have mentioned it, such was the lack of impact it had on their enjoyment of the ship.