Sewage smell and buffet??? Large group ready to cancel!!!

capitalbarry

I'll add another data point on the smell issue from the Feb 10th sailing. Inside our cabin and in the hallways on deck 9 there was never a foul smell that we encountered.

However, when we first boarded on Saturday after walking through the atrium and turning the corner a very bad and strong sewage smell hit us. It was very isolated though and only lasted about 20 or 30 feet. For the remainder of the week I only noticed a faint foul smell a few times in public areas. The issue was very isolated and localized and it certainly wouldn't be worthy of ruining the cruise experience.

You had a dinner at the Marketplace Buffet on the lower deck? When we cruised on Seaside, all we had was dinner at a small buffet on the upper deck with limited food choices. We were happy to see the last day of the cruise. This was a first for us to be looking forward to getting off a ship to go home. When I think about our Seaside cruise vacation, it makes me sick of my stomach, because I keep remember the funk that we had to endure during our entire cruise.

I think Gert just made a typo.... Its unfortunate you didn't enjoy your cruise. Based on what I am seeing , thru following Nikki's daily reports and pictures, the Seaside seems more than adequate. Can't wait to sail on her!!

I'm seeing $1,675 in YC on several sailings. I didn't follow Seaside pricing early on. Are these prices more than you paid?

We have the YC booked for this June and next June. This June is sold out, but prices rose before that happened (relative to what we booked last May).

For next year, rooms are still available (deluxe suite), but the total is almost $1400 more than when we booked late last year. It’s showing $2169 pp right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm seeing $1,675 in YC on several sailings. I didn't follow Seaside pricing early on. Are these prices more than you paid?

As a matter of interest, are prices that are quoted from the US before or after taxes etc? I ask because, when I quote prices, they're the final cost - prices here are inclusive of tax and port charges.

As a matter of interest, are prices that are quoted from the US before or after taxes etc? I ask because, when I quote prices, they're the final cost - prices here are inclusive of tax and port charges.

Beam, to answer your question, there would be an additional $124 pp in taxes added to the $1,689 YIN quote. But, a US traveler who knows how to competitively shop can get back 20% relatively easily in OBC, discounted pricing, loyalty match, etc... And note, the above quote is for an Easter week sailing so it is exceptionally high.

I wish we could start a price discussion thread regarding MSC comparisons to other US lines. I think there are plenty of interested parties. We can't name travel agents, but I"m hopeful CC would allow us to discuss rack rates. We have very dear friends in the UK who we met cruising and they claim that our US prices are drastically reduced over what they can pay. I'm not a travel agent, 'm just curious, no skin in the game at this time.

That's approx $500 more than it's being quoted here. Unbelievably it's only €1049 for a YIN Easter week!

On the subject of prices, I just saw a really great price for an October cruise on Celebrity Eclipse today. I've since deleted the email so can't quote what it was but it was much closer to MSC prices than I've seen for X before - especially as it included a drinks package.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot imagine eating all my meals in the buffet! Why do they want to do that when they can sit down and be waited on in the dining room or one of the specialty restaurants.

Honestly, as someone else has posted, I usually avoid the buffet like the plague....but we actually ended up eating in the buffet the two weeks we were on Seaside more than any other sailing we have ever been on! Usually we get room service for breakfast and we didn't find the breakfast to be be worth waiting around for so we went to the buffet. Lots of choices, loads of fresh fruit, regular coffee and also a bar with the fancy lattes and such. They have an omelet station and even two different breakfast pizzas!

Just got off the Seaside on Saturday. For our group of 4 we had adjoining balcony cabins on Deck 14 midship. One of the ladies said she noticed a little smell one day in our hallway. She has a very sensitive nose. It was quickly gone. The rest of us never noticed it there or anywhere else on the ship for that matter. It was a total non issue.

However, yesterday there were posts from the above mentioned posters ...... in the pool area, in a YC interior room.

Also, not in the YC, but even worse, Dr. Cocktail smelled it in a restaurant. They expect people to eat smelling that?

So I am concerned, too. (that comment about trolling was really unnecessary and beneath you)

Hallelujah! There is at least one like mind brave enough to swim upstream :).

For what it's worth mafig, I am feeling pretty good that this issue will get fixed. It seems like MSC knows what the issue is. Cheng mentioned that it could take several weeks to have parts retrofitted which puts the fix sometime in April. I'll be watching closely too. Who knows, we may even end up sailing YC before you do :).

Just finished our Feb 24th-March 3rd Seaside cruise. There is an odor, though mostly faint through the inside public decks including outside the theatre, and shopping district. We had a YC deluxe room and the last nights or early morning hours, the smell drifted in our room. It didn't last long.

The strongest odor came from the Aqua Jungle area. It's quite potent at the lower levels where the big bucket drops and around the base of the slides.

I agree with BermudaBound2014 that this is a very important topic to some of us. If others aren’t concerned then they needn’t read...and possibly MSC as a great bargain will get even better for them! I canceled a Yacht Club sailing in September as I wanted to wait until the private island was ready. But I certainly am interested in how/when the smell goes away. I am certain that MSC wants to correct this flaw so I have hope it will be accomplished. But no way to know for certain (in light of MSC’s announcement last month that it already had been corrected) until I hear reports from actual cruisers.

I But no way to know for certain (in light of MSC’s announcement last month that it already had been corrected) until I hear reports from actual cruisers.

That's why I sincerely appreciate the recent posters who report back on this.

Am I glad to read it, no. But I still want to know.

I also want to know how the food was, how was the entertainment, were the hot tubs hot, etc. It's all part of a review.

Hello group.... Can anybody confirm that the FOUL SMELL on MSC SEASIDE has been fixed or is being addressed by MSC??? Has anybody that cruise on her confirm the SMELL?

It has not been fixed as of March 3 our rooms smelled so bad had to sleep with the balcony doors open the whole trip so sleeping was rough temps 90s this was hands down the worst cruise I have ever been on. They did offer me 25% refund I told them not good enough considering they knew about the smell from the first sailing and have yet to fix the problem and they just keep sailing on like nothing is wrong. My wife and daughter actually slept out on the balcony a couple nights because the smell was so bad. Me I would have to say this ship is a health risk

It has not been fixed as of March 3 our rooms smelled so bad had to sleep with the balcony doors open the whole trip so sleeping was rough temps 90s this was hands down the worst cruise I have ever been on. They did offer me 25% refund I told them not good enough considering they knew about the smell from the first sailing and have yet to fix the problem and they just keep sailing on like nothing is wrong. My wife and daughter actually slept out on the balcony a couple nights because the smell was so bad. Me I would have to say this ship is a health risk

amen :rolleyes:

Scooby, please let us know the cabin number. In the past, it has been reported that deck 5 is the worst, but I don't think deck 5 has balcony cabins. There were lots of people reporting that last week was bad and now two reporting this week is bad :(. It stinks for everyone.

My wife and I were on the ship last week and just got off March 3rd. I can say that we did smell the "smell" a few times but people are greatly over exaggerating how bad it is! We mostly smelt it around deck 18 kiddy pool area and did smell it around the atrium once or twice as well as another area or two that I can't remember. The smell was very random and even when you smelt it if you walked 15-20 feet you would no longer smell it. Another interesting thing is that for the first two days we didn't smell anything and it just seemed to start when we ported in Jamaica. To tell you how little it affected us, we are already looking at booking the Seaside again for next winter! I will have a full review of our trip posted within the next day or two.

My wife and I were on the ship last week and just got off March 3rd. I can say that we did smell the "smell" a few times but people are greatly over exaggerating how bad it is! We mostly smelt it around deck 18 kiddy pool area and did smell it around the atrium once or twice as well as another area or two that I can't remember. The smell was very random and even when you smelt it if you walked 15-20 feet you would no longer smell it. Another interesting thing is that for the first two days we didn't smell anything and it just seemed to start when we ported in Jamaica. To tell you how little it affected us, we are already looking at booking the Seaside again for next winter! I will have a full review of our trip posted within the next day or two.

I forgot to mention we were in 13067 interior fantastica room and never had any smells anywhere near our cabin.

I just got off the Seaside Feb 24-March 3rd cruise, I can verify what Danny has mentioned. To add, I was in a YC delux room, and the last 2 nights/early mornings there was a noticeable smell.

OK. What was your room number, please?

On same cruise, just off last Saturday...No smells in cabin or passageways. Did the OP remember to add water daily to floor drain by toilet? If yours is low/dry you might get some gray water smells.

On deck 11 port side aft balcony.

No smells on any deck while cruising. Spent early AM on Deck 18 for sunrise views and no smell.

While in Nassau, Carnival Liberty on starboard and NCL Escape on port...all 3 ships where off loading garbage and that did smell, which then dissipated.

Greatly exaggerated is well stated on many of these negative reviews. Only encountered one clogged toilet and that was on deck 8 during white party.

It was in service the next day.

Also one door handle of active doorway, it was replaced the following day as well...saw many folks yank/pull/fight these handles as they didn't read 'PUSH'.

Note there are doors that are not active (in use) that have the handles removed...duh.

Many issues appear to be created by and exacerbated by the passengers.

Cheers, enjoy the cruise of your choice!

We enjoyed our Seaside cruise and did book again, we are not loyal to MSC, just felt it was a good value, awesome ship, good food, super crew with fantastic global passenger mix...bonus: wonderful shows and entertainment.

Other CLs have different offerings, if these better match your needs, then please book those.

I just got off the Seaside Feb 24-March 3rd cruise, I can verify what Danny has mentioned. To add, I was in a YC delux room, and the last 2 nights/early mornings there was a noticeable smell.

Hi Ryan - Sorry we missed you at M&M. I got to meet Tina, etc.

Not sure what deck your cabin was on. For us the smell was bad. I'm a pretty easy going cruiser and went on this trip with low expectations. We had (5) cabins on deck 10, 11, 12 and 14. All (5) cabins had this sewer smell in the hallway and in our cabins. It was difficult to deal with the smell. My 75 year old mom and her friend even complained.

Additionally if you sit near the hot tub on deck 18 it smells there as well. This is the hot tub right next to end of the blue slides.

May I ask if you were forward or aft on 12? Thanks so much!