Cruise Disaster

kerryincork

Hello everyone. I thought I would give you a different cruise report.

I am currently in Cork Ireland, which due to a snow storm all flights have been cancelled. Until Saturday at the earliest. My MSC Seaside cruise leaves this Saturday. This is a B2B cruise. My travel companion doesn't live in Ireland so will have no problem reaching the cruise. (though she is 68, so am worried about her travelling by herself)

My flight should have left at 8pm last night.

I am currently standing in the airport queue to see if I will be able to change my flights.

I have accepted that I won't make it for the cruise on Saturday. At least my companion will be on board. Due to the weather my travel agent is closed. So I will try calling MSC on Saturday on how I will board the ship.

As it is a back 2 back I am thinking I will probably have to board next Saturday. Has anything similar happened to any of you? Where weather caused you to miss first leg of the trip?

On the positive side I will have some days to relax in Miami. I will also have a lighter case as I won't need as many clothes [emoji2]

Also the airline comped me for last nights hotel and I now have a voucher for food.

My biggest concern is my travel companion being by herself. She's never travelled so far without me.

I will continue to update you on this unusual situation.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Cam you meet the ship at it's next port?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Get a hold of your agent if you can. Normally the cruise line will allow you to meet them at the next port unless it's one of the private islands own by the cruise line. Other wise you would just need to meet the ship at the following port.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Due to the Red Alert in Ireland it means all non essential businesses are closed. The Government have issued warnings that everyone is to stay in doors. Saturday will be fine to talk to her. I don't have a personal number for her.

It's a bit complicated as my travel companion who lives in a different country will be able to board this Saturday. I don't want to take the chance that there's a misunderstanding and they don't allow her to board this Saturday.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to hear this. In the hopes of reassurance... I've done 13 of my 16 cruises solo and have never once had a problem. Depending on which part of the trip she's most concerned about, you could reach out to those on your roll call to see if someone could take her under their wing stateside at least until she's safe on the cruise. Best of luck to you both!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Forums mobile app

Breakfast. I may be snowed in, But at least I have butter, lol

Another photo of Cork Airport.

You've got a good attitude.

Also, I don't think you are alone re: either Europeans traveling (from that winter blast you got) or East and Northeast US traveling (today) with the snow/ice/rain and high winds and wind gusts. Flight cancellations about in the heavy Northeast airports from DC to Maine, some delays. Re-bookings opportunities already non-existent for tomorrow even for arrivals before ship departure.(n)(n)

We did a three day stop down from NH to Maryland to visit son and newborn. Have flight from BWI-FLL at 11:40AM. Watching the departures intently. Since most of the day's cancellations were due to the cancellation of the "arriving plane," we're feeling little better as our plan just departed from Denver.(y)

It is seriously windy, and the gusts are 60+ mph per the network news; all government agencies, schools etc., were closed.

Oh well, if we get cancelled we've decided to rent a car and drive the 1,085 miles (or head south to the next Southwest airline airport that has available seating).

You've got a good attitude.

Also, I don't think you are alone re: either Europeans traveling (from that winter blast you got) or East and Northeast US traveling (today) with the snow/ice/rain and high winds and wind gusts. Flight cancellations about in the heavy Northeast airports from DC to Maine, some delays. Re-bookings opportunities already non-existent for tomorrow even for arrivals before ship departure.(n)(n)

We did a three day stop down from NH to Maryland to visit son and newborn. Have flight from BWI-FLL at 11:40AM. Watching the departures intently. Since most of the day's cancellations were due to the cancellation of the "arriving plane," we're feeling little better as our plan just departed from Denver.(y)

It is seriously windy, and the gusts are 60+ mph per the network news; all government agencies, schools etc., were closed.

Oh well, if we get cancelled we've decided to rent a car and drive the 1,085 miles (or head south to the next Southwest airline airport that has available seating).

Gosh I hope everything works out OK for you too.

Thanks. I will let the my TA sórt it out. I've read on here that there is fine that the guest has to pay. Which is okay by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are in 16039 if your companion needs assistance

That's very kind of you. She's almost reached Miami. Once she is on the ship she will be fine. She's been on plenty of cruises.

Our hotel in Miami has an airport shuttle and a port shuttle so she should be good. I will call the hotel and let them know she will be arriving with out me.

I have emailed my TA now and am hoping the office will be open tomorrow if not I will contact MSC direct.

Oh Kerry, at least you've got butter, that did make me LOL!

Weather seems to be abating and some airlines saying return to operations tomorrow in Dublin and Cork. Fingers crossed.

Yes the rumour around the hotel is that the airport will be open tomorrow.

I have never watched so many weather reports in my life lol

There are excellent flight connections (non stop American Airlines) flights between MIA and St Thomas. Flying time is under 3 hours and the St Thomas airport is convenient to both local ports. Its just very bad luck that your flight happened to be scheduled during one of the worst European storms in a few years.

Hank

Gosh I hope everything works out OK for you too.

Our flight made it. Once above the storm, nice. 85 in Miami at the Intercontinental. Been up strategyzing alternate plans if he flight cancelled since 5am so, now that's all over with, a couple of apps and drinks and we're done (with land) and ready for Seaside tomorrow for a couple of weeks. ;p:cool:

Our flight made it. Once above the storm, nice. 85 in Miami at the Intercontinental. Been up strategyzing alternate plans if he flight cancelled since 5am so, now that's all over with, a couple of apps and drinks and we're done (with land) and ready for Seaside tomorrow for a couple of weeks. ;p:cool:

Glad to hear this. I didn’t read your whole saga, and I was afraid you might be routed through the U.S. Northeast which is currently closed due to a major storm. Enjoy the cruise(s).

That's very kind of you. She's almost reached Miami. Once she is on the ship she will be fine. She's been on plenty of cruises.

Our hotel in Miami has an airport shuttle and a port shuttle so she should be good. I will call the hotel and let them know she will be arriving with out me.

I have emailed my TA now and am hoping the office will be open tomorrow if not I will contact MSC direct.

Best of luck to you in your travels

Well there is life at the airport but all the morning flights have been cancelled.

It is still snowing, I am not sure how I will get my bags to the airport. I might have to see if I can leave my carry on case at the airport. I have to walk through the car park to reach the airport.

On really bad note to this story, the hotel I am stuck in ran out of coffee yesterday [emoji24]

Not too bad at least they still have gin. 4e302aa29b1e23563f8b7ed74a1cc933.jpg1ccad2abc687affa58ae362399007345.jpg

Kerry & cruisingfox: really sorry to read of all the hassle you're having. That and the sub zero temps here is leading me to reconsider our plans for Seaside in Feb 2019!

Here's hoping you get your flights out soon and rescue your cruises and have a great time. Ken