Cruise Disaster

kerryincork

Coping as best as I can [emoji483]

I have a back up flight booked for tomorrow evening as well as tomorrow morning.

I booked a room at Miami Airport for tomorrow night.

Still haven't been able to contact my travel agent. I will give it another couple of hours and I will contact MSC Direct. 8d3c02ddce7dc46e7eb3008bf1677a77.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Anyone from the UK and Ireland or even anyone knowing anything about the place would have figured booking a flight 4 days before your cruise departure would have had you home free.

Sadly you seem to have got caught by a once in a lifetime that no-one can plan for snow event.

Im so sorry that you did. Happy that you have now got in touch with your TA and hope that you get on the ship very soon. Thank heaven it is a B2B and im hopeful you will get on board in St Thomas this week

Your attitude is refreshing. Its definitely your turn to catch a break. Happy sailing and calm seas when you get there. Good luck to you.

Well more news for you. My TA contacted MSC, I did get permission to board in St Thomas on Tuesday, but there were no direct flights for Monday, I would have been hopping all over the states and the Caribbean for nearly $1000, with no guarantee I would make the cruise. For a bit less I could have tried the 10.45 on Tuesday which would have gotten me in after 14.00, with my luck I wasn't going to do that.

So what I am going to do is spend the rest of the week in Miami. I will board next Saturday and still have a week's cruise. Naturally I am disappointed. I have been looking forward to this cruise for the past year.

Just walked over to the airport again. A lot of the snow and ice is melting now.

Also flights have started arriving and departing. I also checked in while over there and now have my boarding passes. So happy once again.

Now I am going to look for a nice hotel near the beach that is not going to break my credit card.

I didn't think about this, I can find out if they are flying to St. Thomas

I'm on a code share with Aer lingus and British Airways.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Oh dear, you said the dreaded words "British Airways" they won't help you

Edited by stoneman56

Oh dear, you just said the dreaded words "British Airways" they won't help you
That's OK I am with Aer Lingus the first leg of my journey and they have been absolutely lovely. Changed all my flights, comping my hotel, food vouchers very accommodating. Very happy with their customer service.

If I make it to London on time tomorrow I won't have to deal with British Airways.

Are you all set with your hotel in Miami? You’ve been there before so you know the area. If you are looking for direct beach hotel, Hollywood will be less expensive than south beach and it’s only a tad bit north. Even though Uber would be more, you’d make up for it in hotel cost. I also believe that the fort Lauderdale water taxi is now making a stop in Hollywood which would give you direct access to all that fort Lauderdale has to offer also. Just thinking out loud for you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you all set with your hotel in Miami? You’ve been there before so you know the area. If you are looking for direct beach hotel, Hollywood will be less expensive than south beach and it’s only a tad bit north. Even though Uber would be more, you’d make up for it in hotel cost. I also believe that the fort Lauderdale water taxi is now making a stop in Hollywood which would give you direct access to all that fort Lauderdale has to offer also. Just thinking out loud for you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I picked a hotel in South Beach I am pretty familiar with the area.

Does anyone know how to contact the MSC Seaside? I would like to leave a message for my Companion. She doesn't know how to use the Internet or phone except to read messages and answer the phone.

Her phone is years old so not sure if it has the ability to connect with US network.

Kerry just an FYI There is a Jet Blue flight on Kayak from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan and on to St Thomas for $729 Canadian. So approx $500 US Dep 7.26am arr San Juan 1053am. Dep 1203pm and arrives St thomas 12.39pm. That doesnt sound too bad and you would at least salvage the first week. Or again Kayak a direct from Miami American Airlines at 1025 amd arrives 205pm inSt Thomas for $1049 Canadian. Only one seat left but it looks like there are some more options than you may have been led to believe.

Kerry just an FYI There is a Jet Blue flight on Kayak from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan and on to St Thomas for $729 Canadian. So approx $500 US Dep 7.26am arr San Juan 1053am. Dep 1203pm and arrives St thomas 12.39pm. That doesnt sound too bad and you would at least salvage the first week. Or again Kayak a direct from Miami American Airlines at 1025 amd arrives 205pm inSt Thomas for $1049 Canadian. Only one seat left but it looks like there are some more options than you may have been led to believe.

There are also jet Blue flights from FLL via San Juan on Monday as well.

Thanks for the info. I saw similar flights myself. After my experience this week with cancelled flights it felt too risky.

Also at this point with the extra flights I have paid for and the unexpected stay at the hotel airport I have already spent over $1000.

I will be getting something back from the airline and my insurance company told me to keep my receipts. But there wasn't a claim assistant in until Monday so not sure how much I will be getting back.

I did not risk more money.

I will keep you all updated on the insurance front too.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Delighted to report our flight to Dubai departed, late but who cares! We made it to Abu Dhabi and are now very happy to be on-board Splendida . And relax :cool::cool:

Hope it's going well for you Kerry.

So glad to hear it, CF. Here's to you having a wonderful cruise 🍸🍷🍻

If they will let you join the ship in St.Thomas there are good fares from Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan on Southwest($78.00) then on to St.Thomas on Jetblue for $114.00. Mon or Tues. or Jetblue from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas same days for $164.00( Southwest does not serve St. Thomas. Good luck!!

I have to arrange for a permit to join the cruise in St Thomas through my TA & MSC, Which I don't have now and I am 6 hours out of sync with TA.

By the time I contacted the TA & the back and forth between TA & MSC, with a really crummy phone connection I only had about 30 min to find a flight. I didn't know about jet blue or really any of the airlines. I didn't think to check Fort lauderdalr.

Really I should have had that all researched.

The main thing I am happy with the outcome. I will get nearly a week in Miami and still get a week on the Seaside.

Thanks for the the support and advice guys.

I have to arrange for a permit to join the cruise in St Thomas through my TA & MSC, Which I don't have now and I am 6 hours out of sync with TA.

By the time I contacted the TA & the back and forth between TA & MSC, with a really crummy phone connection I only had about 30 min to find a flight. I didn't know about jet blue or really any of the airlines. I didn't think to check Fort lauderdalr.

Really I should have had that all researched.

The main thing I am happy with the outcome. I will get nearly a week in Miami and still get a week on the Seaside.

Thanks for the the support and advice guys.

Kerry, you have maintained a fantastic and positive attitude throughout, enjoy your well deserved break, have great time