Cozumel Ferry explosions

emdia43

It doesn't seem like an OBC is appropriate here. It should be a straight refund. I hope they get this figured out before my Christmas cruise!

EDIT: OK, now I see what you mean. Probably should quote the article for clarity (Statement from RCI):

Passengers who booked shore excursions that involved taking a tourist ferry were refunded in a form of credit to their onboard account.

EDIT: OK, now I see what you mean. Probably should quote the article for clarity (Statement from RCI):

Yeah, sorry LOL. I should've quoted it. Our excursion in Cozumel (which includes a ferry, in December 2018) is the one I'm most looking forward to!

We have been to Cozumel multiple times and to many other ports in Mexico.

Not going there is like saying you wouldn't visit NYC because there was a terrorist attack there.

Bad things happen everywhere!!

They aren't saying Don't go to Cozumel, they are saying do not use the ferry.

The time it takes to cross over from Cozumel to the mainland on a ferry is a waste, in my opinion. There's plenty of fun stuff to do as soon as you exit the ship in Cozumel. Sitting for a couple of hours on a ferry and a bus afterward, is just not my idea of fun.

Every once in a while we have thoughts of doing Mexican Riviera and than realize better and safer places to go

Hi

Obviously it's a matter of perspective, but you have to realize that there are people traveling from many parts of the world that feel the same about travelling through the U.S. just to get on the ship. There are few "safer places" to go.

This happened last week and I am surprised it hasn't gotten posted here until today. I have been following it on a Cozumel scuba forum as well as contact with friend who live on the island. Here are their thoughts:

1. There have been 2 ferry companies working together in harmony for 10+ years. Ultramar and Mexico Waterjets. I have used both many times.

2. Barcos is a new ferry company that has joined in the service.... this is the one that had the "explosion"

3. All the stories published are not factual, some have good information, some are just rumors.

4. No one died, only two people kept overnight in hospital, others were treated and released with minor injuries.

5. Rumors, and I do mean rumors, are that it was terrorist plot due to political candidate that people want out of office.

6. Rumors, and I do mean rumors, are that a group has taken responsibility.

7. Several friends on Cozumel feel that the 2 original ferry companies are the ones that benefit from this explosion.

8. The original TWO ferry companies (each have several boats) are still running as scheduled. Nothing has stopped.

Now.... would I be nervous using any of the ferries right now? A little bit.

I am not telling people everything is okay. I am not telling everyone to cancel their excursions either.

I, personally, think it is too early to find out what to do. If I was cruising to Cozumel in the next few months, then I might cancel. Otherwise, I would wait and see.

What you do is up to you.

Here is some basic info about the ferries:

http://everythingplayadelcarmen.com/how-to-take-the-ferry-from-playa-del-carmen-to-cozumel/

robin

Edited by ABQrobin

I lived in Cozumel for a couple weeks January 2017 for a training course and while I was there I heard rumors about turmoil between the newest ferry company, who had set up service directly from the cruise ships to the shopping area, and the cab drivers who were being undercut by this new service and losing out on business they would have had prior.

Again, just rumors but it may have been some sabotage and not necessarily terrorism. Apparently the explosion happened while the ferry was without passengers so perhaps the intent was not specifically to hurt people.

This kind of thing happens everywhere though, including many times right in our own hometowns so you can be scared of everywhere all the time. Just be aware of your surroundings. That’s really all you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This happened last week and I am surprised it hasn't gotten posted here until today. I have been following it on a Cozumel scuba forum as well as contact with friend who live on the island. Here are their thoughts:

1. There have been 2 ferry companies working together in harmony for 10+ years. Ultramar and Mexico Waterjets. I have used both many times.

2. Barcos is a new ferry company that has joined in the service.... this is the one that had the "explosion"

3. All the stories published are not factual, some have good information, some are just rumors.

4. No one died, only two people kept overnight in hospital, others were treated and released with minor injuries.

5. Rumors, and I do mean rumors, are that it was terrorist plot due to political candidate that people want out of office.

6. Rumors, and I do mean rumors, are that a group has taken responsibility.

7. Several friends on Cozumel feel that the 2 original ferry companies are the ones that benefit from this explosion.

8. The original TWO ferry companies (each have several boats) are still running as scheduled. Nothing has stopped.

Now.... would I be nervous using any of the ferries right now? A little bit.

I am not telling people everything is okay. I am not telling everyone to cancel their excursions either.

I, personally, think it is too early to find out what to do. If I was cruising to Cozumel in the next few months, then I might cancel. Otherwise, I would wait and see.

What you do is up to you.

Here is some basic info about the ferries:

http://everythingplayadelcarmen.com/how-to-take-the-ferry-from-playa-del-carmen-to-cozumel/

robin

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2602523

I posted this thread the day it happened. These ferries are diesel powered, including the generators. Diesel will not explode like that. This has all the signs of a deliberate act.

Every once in a while we have thoughts of doing Mexican Riviera and than realize better and safer places to go

Mexican Riveria is the west coast of Mexico. Cozumel is the east coast.

The first explosion could have been a once off thing. The fact that they have found 2 more explosive devices on ferries since then tells me this is something to pay attention too.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I was very sad to hear about this, because in my opinion visiting mainland Mexico is one of the best things you can do from Cozumel. Getting a chance to experience it’s rich culture and fascinating history has been one of my favorite memories from all of our cruises. We never once felt unsafe on our ferry rides. I do hope that Carnival is able to open excursions to the mainland back up soon.

The time it takes to cross over from Cozumel to the mainland on a ferry is a waste, in my opinion. There's plenty of fun stuff to do as soon as you exit the ship in Cozumel. Sitting for a couple of hours on a ferry and a bus afterward, is just not my idea of fun.

Have you ever actually done it though? Because I have, twice, and it was far from being a waste of time. My husband and I got to see both Coba and Chitzen Itza and they were incredible experiences we will never forget. Definitely worth the time it took to get there.

All the cruise lines are cancelling excursions to the Mainland now. This will have a huge financial impact to those tour businesses. They don't rely totally on cruisers, but I bet it is at least half their tourism $$$. So until things settle down, it can be bad. I fell bad for everyone.

Cozumel now is going to be very busy when multiple cruise ships are in port. A friend told me today that all the streets are packed with jeeps and taxis since the tourists are being turned away from ferries over. I bet all the local tour companies are crazy right now. So if you are doing a cruise to Cozumel, book your excursions ahead of time!

robin