Sanctuary "Rules" ???

cruisinsoooon

Don’t want to hijack the OP’s post, but this got me thinking about the sanctuary as I have not been interested so far since it seems strange for me to pay to be on a part of the ship when I’m already paying to be on it. Tell me what I am missing! I may want to use it on our next cruise. I never even bothered to go look at it on my last two (and only) Princess Cruises. We have an upcoming Alaska cruise so I’m intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Royal last year there was a very loud woman having some treatments in one of the spa cabanas. She obviously didn't realise that the cabana sides are slatted walls not solid. :rolleyes::eek:

It was amusing for the first half hour but it did get tedious after that. I did make a comment to one of the staff members about the noise levels and he did talk to one of the spa staff but it didn't make much difference.

We are Sanctuary junkies. On several occasions, we have been completely alone or with just a few other couples (Baltic and South America cruise). Like having a suite for 1/10th the cost !

My practice is to immediately don my noise muffling headphones and plunge into a book, emerging only for lunch and afternoon tea. My outbursts of laughter at one of the funniest books I have ever read got me a look or two!

I think if there were sustained raucousness, I might quietly ask a steward or even send a note to the cruise director to empower the stewards to respectfully keep the peace. Or, if I were feeling brave, politely ask the raucous revelers to tone it down. But I appreciate people having a good time.

I think this a brand promise issue for Sanctuary which IS described in seductively quiet, restful terms. There are SO many other places on board to party-hardy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ditto, except I would expect the staff to suggest those happy and loud cruisers to relocate to a better situated location for their needs...am sure they aren't trying to annoy us all who paid for a quiet and special area to relax and just be...but they are...

Princess will not enforce anything.

A few years ago, I booked the Sanctuary on the Island Princess from LA to Ft. Lauderdale, including the extra for Panama Canal day. On that day, a group of people booked the Sanctuary for the morning. Six people booked but ten showed up. They drank, screamed, hollered at the nearby ships and were totally obnoxious. The rest of us complained and were told only that the group was leaving at 12:30pm. It couldn’t come fast enough.

Just time to face it on Princess - the me first / entitled passenger is the new norm...:(

New? I don't think so.

There were people on the Ark screaming at Noah about how important they were.

Probably smuggling liquor, too.

OP, I hate to be the voice of dissent....

And, to be fair, I don't know how loud or unruly these passengers might have been.

But, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves.

If I wanted to spend my vacation in a tomb, I might go visit a mausoleum.

I have read, here on CC, an incident where two women had met up and were having nice and fun conversation... Maybe a little 'animated'... And somebody must have complained. A steward actually came over and, basically, told them to 'shut up'.

WOW.....

That is just RUDE.....

Just because one has seats in the Sanctuary does not give them the right to control the entire space.

I'm sure it was well beyond "animated". When you pay for peace & relaxation, that's what you should expect! If you want to "talk" it up go outside! I totally doubt the staff told the offenders to "shut up" as you claimed to have read. Don't make assumptions on what others say, unless you were actually there. That all being said, we found Sanctuary on the Regal to be great.

Princess will not enforce anything.

A few years ago, I booked the Sanctuary on the Island Princess from LA to Ft. Lauderdale, including the extra for Panama Canal day. On that day, a group of people booked the Sanctuary for the morning. Six people booked but ten showed up. They drank, screamed, hollered at the nearby ships and were totally obnoxious. The rest of us complained and were told only that the group was leaving at 12:30pm. It couldn’t come fast enough.

If that happened to us, I would have approached them & warn them either to quiet down or I would summon security. Threatening calling security usually gets pretty fast results. I also would also demand a refund for your ruined time. You paid for it & should be reimbursed for failure of Princess to follow their own guidelines.

OP, I hate to be the voice of dissent....

And, to be fair, I don't know how loud or unruly these passengers might have been.

But, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves.

If I wanted to spend my vacation in a tomb, I might go visit a mausoleum.

I have read, here on CC, an incident where two women had met up and were having nice and fun conversation... Maybe a little 'animated'... And somebody must have complained. A steward actually came over and, basically, told them to 'shut up'.

WOW.....

That is just RUDE.....

Just because one has seats in the Sanctuary does not give them the right to control the entire space.

In actuality, it does.

The Sanctuary is marketed as the mausoleum you don’t want to experience. Others do and should get what they bargain for.

Behaving contrary to the marketed ambiance of the Sanctuary is the only thing that can be considered by reasonable people as rude.

If that happened to us, I would have approached them & warn them either to quiet down or I would summon security. Threatening calling security usually gets pretty fast results. I also would also demand a refund for your ruined time. You paid for it & should be reimbursed for failure of Princess to follow their own guidelines.

And you are taking the chance one or more of those kind of rude and unruly PAX may go off and knock you out. Especially if they are drinking. Better to complain to Sactuary staff, mind your own business, avoid confrontation with those kind of rude PAXs, and let Sanctuary /Ship’s Security staff deal with your complaint. No?

Or, maybe those kind of PAX may be hard of hearing /use a hearing aid, and not realize they are talking too loud? :)

BTW, what is the maximum decibel level allowed in the Sanctuary? Maybe Sanctuary staff should carry decibel level meters to monitor noisle levels. Just saying. :)

Good luck, and enjoy your next cruise.

My post was in direct response to the original thread here, which made absolutely no mention of partying, drinking, music, being obnoxious, etc...

Sorry, my thoughts on this are not changing.

No matter how people try to twist my words and throw out exaggerated assumptions.

My first Princess cruise was a 4-day on the Sapphire. I was really looking forward to the kinder, gentler Princess passenger, someone who was a bit more worldly and a member of polite society.

Sure enough, our balcony neighbor fired up her boom box and blasted Caribbean music for the party she was having for all her friends during sail away. My expectations have since been adjusted.

Just wondering, what does that have to do with Sanctuary rules?

Sail aways are usually fun, loud, and not boring. :). So did your neighbor continue with loud music on her balcony for the rest of your cruise?

Suggest consider sailing with Cunard or European river cruise? Those kind of PAX who sail them are reserved and quiet. Or next time book a stateroom other than a balcony if noise annoys you? Just saying.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

And you are taking the chance one or more of those kind of rude and unruly PAX may go off and knock you out. Especially if they are drinking. Better to complain to Sactuary staff, mind your own business, avoid confrontation with those kind of rude PAXs, and let Sanctuary /Ship’s Security staff deal with your complaint. No?

Or, maybe those kind of PAX may be hard of hearing /use a hearing aid, and not realize they are talking too loud? :)

BTW, what is the maximum decibel level allowed in the Sanctuary? Maybe Sanctuary staff should carry decibel level meters to monitor noisle levels. Just saying. :)

Good luck, and enjoy your next cruise.

I wouldn't fear getting slugged! Those pax would off the ship at the next port & then get a letter from my attorney to the suit they would now face! Obviously, if they were elderly & had hearing aids, I'd weigh the situation. It's pretty quiet in Sanctuary, so loud talking can get annoying fast.

Wow. internet tough guy Keith in da house !!

you and the others would be throw in the brig or confined to your cabins by security guards. then you both would be removed at the next port, maybe turned over to authorities and on your own to get back home

don't forget your passport !!

Wow. internet tough guy Keith in da house !!

you and the others would be throw in the brig or confined to your cabins by security guards. then you both would be removed at the next port, maybe turned over to authorities and on your own to get back home

don't forget your passport !!

I

It's "thrown" in the brig, genius! As long as I didn't physically get involved, I wouldn't get tossed in a brig & booted off the ship. I(or anyone) have the right to ask someone disturbing me(or anyone) to please desist. Is that good enough for ya?

Edited by keithm
additions

There were people on the Ark screaming at Noah about how important they were.

Only Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives were on the Ark. Just these 8 people.

I guess not all families get along though.

If anything, this thread has taught me that I will never bother paying for the Sanctuary if I'm going to be shot nasty looks every time I dare open my mouth to talk to my husband. And no, I don't drink or party and I'm actually a quiet person who finds loud people intolerable- and this sounds too library-like even for me. So thanks for the informative thread!

If anything, this thread has taught me that I will never bother paying for the Sanctuary if I'm going to be shot nasty looks every time I dare open my mouth to talk to my husband. And no, I don't drink or party and I'm actually a quiet person who finds loud people intolerable- and this sounds too library-like even for me. So thanks for the informative thread!

Yes, those kind of PAXs can be pretty nasty if you even sneeze. :eek:

I should clarify. I too am a quiet person and enjoyed the serenity of the Sanctuary on several prior cruises. It was peaceful for reading and snoozing. It was not really library-like. There isn't a problem when people talk to others in low voices; that is expected and not disturbing to others.

What we experienced was several people had gathered in the gazebo; every seat was full. They were sharing stories, talking in loud voices, and laughing loudly, and it was not a brief happening. It went on for a few hours. My husband and I, and I noticed a few others, sat up and looked in their direction thinking they might get the hint, to no avail.

I would not have been comfortable confronting them directly. In retrospect, we probably should have said something to the attendants. However, we wondered if anything would have been done (e.g. we've never seen the removal of towels from unused deck chairs enforced by crew ). As someone previously mentioned, it seems Princess doesn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers.

What I did do was address it when I responded to the post-cruise survey. Along with giving feedback on everything good about the cruise (and it was a lot), I explained the Sanctuary situation in detail with a kind suggestion that they may want to consider making guidelines known, and enforcing them.

Thanks to all who have shared their perspectives. I like learning from the experiences of other cruisers.

I think we have all learned something from this topic, and going forward thinking that everyone in the sanctuary is going to be as quite as a mouse is just not going to be the case !! maybe for some that would be great, and then for others they want to talk and enjoy the sanctuary in there way! what ever that maybe !!! Everyone is different so no matter where you go on the ship there is always going to be something or someone that will be doing something different then the way you or I might be doing it. Just understand that, and try to enjoy your cruise and going forward remember don't sweat the little things, it's a vacation who needs the stress on vacation, chances are that will be waiting for you when you get home. Life is to short!!!!:p

Sorry but it's not a library. People should not have to whisper. I get it, playing music and yelling is rude there, as it is anywhere. I have used it a few times and did not feel compelled to be quiet. Had normal volume conversations with the person I was with. If someone shushed me for talking normally, I'd be pretty pissed and ask for a refund. It's vacation. People want to relax and enjoy themselves. If they have communally arranged furniture, isn't the implication it's for those wishing to socialize and chat rather than sit alone on a lounger? I interpret Princess's description to mean NO KIDS, that's the relaxing, tranquil part of it to me. Too bad they charge extra for this privilege when other cruise lines give it for free.

I think we have all learned something from this topic, and going forward thinking that everyone in the sanctuary is going to be as quite as a mouse is just not going to be the case !! maybe for some that would be great, and then for others they want to talk and enjoy the sanctuary in there way! what ever that maybe !!! Everyone is different so no matter where you go on the ship there is always going to be something or someone that will be doing something different then the way you or I might be doing it. Just understand that, and try to enjoy your cruise and going forward remember don't sweat the little things, it's a vacation who needs the stress on vacation, chances are that will be waiting for you when you get home. Life is to short!!!!:p

Perfectly said, bravo! (y)(y):whiskey-glass::whiskey-glass::beer-toast: