Can someone explain the benefit of the medallion to me as the customer?

kywildcatfanone

I completely agree with Thrak.

Yes the Medallion is mutually affective for both the consumer and the business.

Please Princess track how many times an ice cream cone is given away so that the next time I get my always available ice cream cone, you have the cones available and not ran out because of not having any idea of how many you had in stock versus demand. I was surprised when they told me they were out of cones when we were on day 2 of the cruise. :eek:

If you think you were not being tracked before on the cruise ship then you are not knowledgeable about technology now. It starts when you book a cruise with them. You give them so much information and when you board the ship your photo is taken so they can associate your name with your face. It goes on from there when you use your room key card through out the ship. Don't forget to smile for the cameras. :halo:

I am looking forward to the Medallion experience. I however realize that this most likely will not be in full effect until 2019 is my guess. :(

No cameras in corridors or at the elevator areas

Thanks for all the responses. Of the "benefits" I see mentioned, maybe the check in would be nice, but it only takes a couple of minutes anyway, so I don't see that as a big deal with regards to time savings. I don't really care if the waiter knows my drink package, but I guess that would matter to some. And if I buy a painting once, I don't know that I would now want years of art invites.

At the end of the day, I feel like most of this benefits the cruise line, which I guess is fine, but if they raise prices to offer this benefit, that won't make me happy. I think it's just a tracking mechanicsm where they store tons of data on the customer, regarding their purchases, habits, and look for ways to streamline that for savings, or market to that customer.

yeah, we will have it for the first time on Royal in Dec and very leary about it.

we talk to our pool guys all the time so they know what we like to drink. I am not comfortable with them tracking me wherever I go. I am guessing we will pretty much shut off everything and if we can just have a Key Card, we will probably do that once we are on the ship.

We don't do spas, specialty restaurants, etc. We like the simple things, lay at the pool or a beach in port. Go to the dining room for dinner, go to the shows etc.

Don't need anything fancy

yeah, we will have it for the first time on Royal in Dec and very leary about it.

we talk to our pool guys all the time so they know what we like to drink. I am not comfortable with them tracking me wherever I go. I am guessing we will pretty much shut off everything and if we can just have a Key Card, we will probably do that once we are on the ship.

We don't do spas, specialty restaurants, etc. We like the simple things, lay at the pool or a beach in port. Go to the dining room for dinner, go to the shows etc.

Don't need anything fancy

The Ocean Medallion for the Royal as well as other ships has been put on hold until all the bugs are worked out on the Regal. There is no new date set yet to begin it on the Royal. To say you’ll have it on the Royal in December is not factual at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Would Mrs. So and So from cabin blah blah please report to the passenger services desk." Repeat over and over and over and over and over.... Oh, wait! It's a medallion cruise. We know if Mrs. So and So came back aboard. Yep, she's onboard somewhere. OK, we call leave the port now.

I have heard them page people so many times who they can't find and they are trying to leave port. How about on a B2B where the passengers must exit the ship and then re-board to satisfy immigration? No more waiting an extra hour in some venue while they track down the offending people and force them to comply so the rest of the passengers can do the "off and on shuffle" and the new passengers can start boarding. With the medallion they will be able to check the system and find out where the people are.

Princess doesn't care at all where you are as a person. You are just a statistic as far as the "tracking" goes until they have a real reason to look for a specific person. If anybody thinks Princess will have a person watching the system all the time to see where everybody is then they are living in a paranoid fantasy world.

JT - yes, I have a Kindle, but have found that there are many things that work with a smartphone, but don't work with a Kindle (for instance, the free entertainment on Alaska Airline planes). Also, I don't carry my Kindle around with me.

MrMan - sorry, but I don't quite understand what you meant - ??

It is supposed to make your life "easier' date='" In reality, I think it is exactly as you said--it lets them track you.

Disney has a system on their newer ships where you don't have to slide your card to unlock the door, you just tap it or hold it near the lock. This can be convenient if your hands are full, etc. as if I'm wearing my card on a lanyard or in a pocket, I can get it close enough to the door without touching the card. But it must get really close to the door mechanism. Supposedly the Princess system will "sense" the medallion and unlock the door as you approach with less manipulation than above.

It will let them know how many brewed coffee/tea or unlimited sodas you got (?)...it will let them track you around the ship. Yeah, I don't see that this is any good for me![/quote']

You don't have to tap it or hold it near the lock. It does sense when you are within a certain radius and unlocks your door once you are close to the door. Then you simply have to put the handle down and enter. I must say that it was great when I was coming back to the cabin with full hands.

I wish it was fully operational when we used it but this sure was a great feature.

A couple we we were with did it and had to carry a fob of some sort around there neck all the time. No thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You actually could take it out of the carrying case and slip just the medallion into your pocket or your purse. Or wear it on a band or purchase a clip to put it in. Or the necklace etc.

I carried it in my pocket a few times!

Do the medallions have your name on them like the key cards have? If not, it might be interesting if a couple picked up each other's medallion by mistake.

Both your name and the date of your sailing are engraved on the medallion.

I would like to know what they are going to do with all that accumulated information. I want to read the small print before signing on especially with respect to third parties.

One other thing to keep in mind, if it doesn't make them money they wouldn't be doing it. :mad::mad::mad:

Always say...Follow the money! Princess can tout how this will benefit cruisers all they want, but fairly certain, it's designed more for their benefit.

The program also depends on the use of a smartphone for the "premium experience" of the Ocean Medallion. Being techo savvy. it's so no problem. I do see a problem for those cruisers who don't have smartphones or choose to unplug for their vacation.

"Would Mrs. So and So from cabin blah blah please report to the passenger services desk." Repeat over and over and over and over and over.... Oh, wait! It's a medallion cruise. We know if Mrs. So and So came back aboard. Yep, she's onboard somewhere. OK, we call leave the port now.

Hopefully the individual didn't give their ***** to someone to put in their pocket and that person got on board while the other one is still in port!!! :p

Take it off when you go in the bathroom.;)

Now why would you take it off in the bathroom?? It may activate the flush button for you.

Now with just this feature it would be a great thing. My thoughts of the ***** (Toilet Flush Sound)..:rolleyes: :o :D.

The Captain of The Rowboat

Tony

Interesting thread. A few years ago when Disney introduced their Magic Bands a number of people went into a tizzy complaining about. Many of the issues that I've read here (being tracked, having to wear a band, etc.). Well, despite their doom and gloom the system was instituted and is now very successful and convenient.

I don't mind being tracked because I can see how it can be very helpful in a safety situation. I also like the idea that Disney or Princess can see the attractions and venues that I like and hopefully keep them around.

Pam has written an excellent post about the benefits of the medallions and I completely agree with her thoughts. Based on our experiences with Disney's Magic Bands we will look forward to the convenience of easier check-in, paying for purchases, etc.

For the record, I agree with the poster who said that is much less privacy for people on Facebook. I am very happy not being on Facebook.

And, as you noted, the Magic Band system at WDW (it is not on the ships at this time) works great usually. But it is highly awkward when you go out to the back of a resort after dark in order to view a water show and the ***band won't let you get back into the resort after the event. There was a courtesy phone inside a gated pool, but the band wouldn't let us into the pool area because it was after hours.

This could have happened just as easily with a card and card reader, but it was a difficult situation. Walking around the building in the dark with a mobility impaired family member did not seem like a good idea, nor did splitting up our twosome. It took about 20 minutes until someone came by along the hallway inside and opened the door for us.

After the fact, we were told that the issue was that we were staying at Bay Lake and the electric light parade took place behind the Contemporary--sister resorts connected by an above ground bridge and a ground level walkway which share a food court, and all the restaurants are located in the Contemporary. However, it seems that they don't share coding for the ground level doors. IT issue, basically.

Edited by moki'smommy

Interesting to hear all these people who are opposed to "being tracked" while on the ship but carry a cell phone around in their pocket all the time. How many people have been found by authorities using their cell phone to find them. If you carry a cell phone you can be located at any time. The ***** is used by the ship simply to gather statistics as to how many were at that performance(s) in the theater what the traffic pattern is for a certain area such as the HC and so forth. ***** will provide a nice list of benefits for me while allowing the ship to determine where the congested areas are at any time among other benefits.

It's interesting how accepting we are of "new technology" (in reality the medallion is years old tech) that allows the end user to track and market data they mine with our full cooperation. Think about a software/hardware installation, fleet-wide with connections to land-based servers. Think about the costs associated with such an immense undertaking. Now think about the biggest piece of the puzzle - why? The answer is simple; ROIC.

Years ago in a boardroom filled with Princess corporate reps, a software sales team and their hardware counterparts pitched a plan filled with wiz bang tech, but in the end it was designed to turn a profit, not make the customer's life easier. Your patterns of purchase, food you consume, services you gravitate to, etc. are all data to be sold to the highest bidder. At this point I would love to be a fly in the room listening to the war of words between Princess, the software creators, the hardware suppliers and the techs trying to install and meet the designers expectations - which I hear is not going well at all. Like all new tech, it has little to do with benefiting the end user, it is all about maximizing profit. ROIC.

Yeah, just think. With the *****...Princess will now know how much time you spend in the bathroom (where they have installed a sensor). That really is a great benefit.<snip>

Hank

Stand by for targeted advertising of 'stoppers' or 'starters' from the shop, based upon your 'bathroom timings'.:rolleyes:

Hopefully the individual didn't give their ***** to someone to put in their pocket and that person got on board while the other one is still in port!!! :p

I would hope that they still have crew checking photos on their devices as passengers re-board at ports. Also at muster drill. Otherwise I will carry yours to muster drill (for a small fee) so it looks like you were there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Interesting thread. A few years ago when Disney introduced their Magic Bands a number of people went into a tizzy complaining about. Many of the issues that I've read here (being tracked, having to wear a band, etc.). Well, despite their doom and gloom the system was instituted and is now very successful and convenient.

I don't mind being tracked because I can see how it can be very helpful in a safety situation. I also like the idea that Disney or Princess can see the attractions and venues that I like and hopefully keep them around.

Pam has written an excellent post about the benefits of the medallions and I completely agree with her thoughts. Based on our experiences with Disney's Magic Bands we will look forward to the convenience of easier check-in, paying for purchases, etc.

For the record, I agree with the poster who said that is much less privacy for people on Facebook. I am very happy not being on Facebook.

I love the Disney magic bands and have been using them since they came out. I also loved how easy it was to get into our stateroom on the Regal using our medallion and really look forward to the doing all that they are supposed to.

I would hope that they still have crew checking photos on their devices as passengers re-board at ports. Also at muster drill. Otherwise I will carry yours to muster drill (for a small fee) so it looks like you were there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As far as the passenger, there is little difference between the card and the medallion. Both devices are scanned by the crew and your picture and passenger info come up on the screen, and the crew then check the picture against your face.

If a passenger were to have two tokens (his and a family member's) in his pocket, the crew member would be alerted as to the extra token (the extra family member's face would show on the screen with no face to match it to.)