Ten-Day "Mediterranean Dream" Itinerary

stickey_mouse

We have done all the ports, most several times. We have done it on the Noordam and on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is a good itinerary with a variety of things to see and do. Do you have any specific questions? How late in fall?

We have done all the ports, most several times. We have done it on the Noordam and on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is a good itinerary with a variety of things to see and do. Do you have any specific questions? How late in fall?
A late September departure.

Naples is a favorite city of mine. There is so much historical richness found in its crumbling decay. Rick Steves has an excellent walking tour of the city itself, directly from the cruise port. It remains one of Italy's few important cities not yet taken over by high-rises and chains.

Or/and you can take the ferry at the cruise port over to the very small, but highly picturesque, island of Procida, instead of doing the more obvious excursions that take you further away from the city itself - Pompeii, Amalfi, Capri. http://www.procida.it/scarabeo.htm

You have a very good itinerary and yes, Athens is something to see and with a little background reading to enjoy very much. Again, the Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports book is a good way to get you excited about what you are about to see.

Great time to be in Europe and great ports. Beautiful! We love those spots.

Agreed! It is cooler than in summer so much easier to do all the touring! Loved all those ports. First time to Naples we did the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii and 2nd time we went to Capri .Stayed in Rome for 3 days pre-cruise both trips...still didn't see everything! Loved Santorini...first trip we took the bus to Oia and 2nd time we took the boat over....lots of info on the Europe boards.

Have a great time!

That's one we are looking at, too, for 2019. We haven't visited Dubrovnik or Kotor, (on NS) and really would like to. Then, add in the TA back to Fort Lauderdale, and it's a great itinerary. Can't wait!
That would be fantastic! Although I don't think I could take that many days off work. Our group is already planning a brief tour of Italy prior to the cruise.

I am very interested in this, on the brand Nieuw Statendam.

Rome, Athens, Santorini, and some great ports/sites in Italy are on the top of my lists....

Not crazy about the two other ports????

Should be plenty of time to enjoy onboard.

Also, is there absolutely NO way to see Santorini without taking the little cable cars back down?

I have some pretty bad 'true' Vertigo.

So, this is a major concern.

Also, is there absolutely NO way to see Santorini without taking the little cable cars back down?

You can ride a donkey back down or you can walk down the donkey path (watch where you step, though ;).)

Lots of information about this on the Greece port of call boards.

And, I just wanted to mention, I was thinking that you are actually talking about the Mosaic, with those ports.... Not the Med. Dream.

That is the same cruise we are looking at.

I would have never thought about Dubrovnik, until I started seeing it on TV.... The Bachelor show actually went there. Looks SO quaint and historic and unique!

And, I just wanted to mention, I was thinking that you are actually talking about the Mosaic, with those ports.... Not the Med. Dream.

That is the same cruise we are looking at.

My mistake. It is the Mediterranean Dream in Sep. 2018 (on the K-dam) and the Mediterranean Mosaic in Sep. 2019 (on the Nieuw Statendam). Confusing!

The weather should still be pleasant. I wouldn’t worry to much about missing Mykonos, one of my least favourite places due to the highly touristy nature. And this port can be missed at times due to the winds. Corfu is really interesting and picturesque.

Athens has lots of sights, and the acropolis is amazing.

I agree about Naples, a wealth of choices. Pompeii, Capri, pizza, Herculaneum, Ischia, ....

Enjoy!

Rome, Athens, Santorini, and some great ports/sites in Italy are on the top of my lists....

What ports are you disappointed in?

You may find a way to take a boat from the dock in Santorini to a small dock below Oia. Then walk up to Oia. Worth checking out. Or vice versa.

I'm a little concerned about the comments regarding the Koningsdam's being too large, and the smaller verandah staterooms. I do, however, like the idea of sailing on the Nieuw Statendam within a year of its premiere.

I did not find the Koningsdam too large at all. I am always puzzled when I see those posts. I also found my verandah stateroom just fine and on par with the verandah staterooms on the Vista ships. Unless there are small verandah staterooms that I am unaware of?

Edited by *Miss G*

Have been to all of those ports numerous times but not on a cruise that short. We also love our sea days. I would add that Katakolon is not one of our favorite ports although it is fine for those that have a strong desire to go to Olympia.

My suggestion is that if you plan on doing this kind of intensive itinerary...fly-in a few days early and enjoy some land time.

Hank

Have been to all of those ports numerous times but not on a cruise that short. We also love our sea days. I would add that Katakolon is not one of our favorite ports although it is fine for those that have a strong desire to go to Olympia.

My suggestion is that if you plan on doing this kind of intensive itinerary...fly-in a few days early and enjoy some land time.

Hank

Definitely plan on it! I have been to Rome but am considering flying into Venice and spending a few days spread between Venice, Florence, and perhaps Cinque Terre. Most others in our group have not been to Italy, so they can stay longer after the cruise if they want to see more of Rome.

I did not find the Koningsdam too large at all. I am always puzzled when I see those posts. I also found my verandah stateroom just fine and on par with the verandah staterooms on the Vista ships. Unless there are small verandah staterooms that I am unaware of?
Good to know. Thanks!

When we were in Santorini in 2013, we booked a HAL excursion in which the tender went to another tender landing area (the old port?). The bus was able to drive down to this area so we got a bus ride from and back to the tender. We did not do the cable car, donkeys or walk the donkey path. The tour was around the island, wine tasting and free time in Oia. It's perfect for those who are unable to do the cable car, etc. So there might be another option for you, if you don't mind booking a ship tour.