Cruise Critic Mission??

fireman845

I think the OP's comments are excellent. If I can answer a question, I certainly try.

Also, and I'm going to take a hit (or many) on this, but it is daunting to ask a question and have 58 replies .... with some of them being "I agree" after the question has been answered several times. Or posts of "?????" or other such comments that are not helpful to the OP.

I get it. I understand that some CC members have high post counts. I don't know what the levels are to change from "Cool Cruiser" to the next designation and I don't care. Oh! I did ask once, a long time ago, but never got an answer! LOL

Yes, this is an open forum and ANYONE can post AS MANY TIMES AS THEY LIKE! :)

But sometimes one has to wade through several pages of "up the post count" comments to get definitive information about the original question.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but that's just how it looks some days!

Cheers!

You make a good point.

There are some that post comments that don't help, roll eyes, off topic, etc. Or post search for the topic or whatever and yes, they get their post count up.

Meanwhile, others with high post counts are busy on roll calls and trying to help here.

A High post count doesn't = helpful / unhelpful or knowlegeable/ not knowledgeable.

It very much depends upon the person who is doing the post. And the quality of their posts ;). Just my experience, though.

Oops, I nearly forgot to get to the next level past Cool Cruiser, I believe it is 3,000 posts. But my memory is short. There is no reward nor any fireworks, they just change your status ;)

You make a good point.

There are some that post comments that don't help, roll eyes, off topic, etc. Or post search for the topic or whatever and yes, they get their post count up.

Meanwhile, others with high post counts are busy on roll calls and trying to help here.

A High post count doesn't = helpful / unhelpful or knowlegeable/ not knowledgeable.

It very much depends upon the person who is doing the post. And the quality of their posts ;). Just my experience, though.

Oops, I nearly forgot to get to the next level past Cool Cruiser, I believe it is 3,000 posts. But my memory is short. There is no reward nor any fireworks, they just change your status ;)

NO FIREWORKS??? :)

I completely agree with your statement about high post count NOT meaning helpful/unhelpful or knowledgeable/not knowledgeable. Someone with very few cruises could be more helpful with current knowledge and a seasoned cruiser could be helpful with questions that require more "historical" information. No one has cornered the market on helpful or "in the know" answers!

I get it. I understand that some CC members have high post counts. I don't know what the levels are to change from "Cool Cruiser" to the next designation and I don't care. Oh! I did ask once, a long time ago, but never got an answer! LOL

The post count levels are a lot like the HAL Mariner levels. Pretty worthless. :D;)

Our members are encouraged to ask questions on these boards to get information about their upcoming cruise from experienced cruisers. It serves no purpose or benefit to be told to use the search function. That opportunity is obviously available to all and thus is non-responsive at best and quite rude and useless at worse.

Posts as responses to questions or guidance requests that suggest the member use the search function are usually considered off topic and are subject to removal. When those posts also include negative commentary about the question and/or the member posting the question, the responder can expect his/her post to be removed, followed by a guideline reminder.

The post count levels are a lot like the HAL Mariner levels. Pretty worthless. :D;)

Now you've got me wondering ...........

Getting to 4 Star Mariner level on HAL DOES get us unlimited laundry (without additional cost on that cruise) and a nice 50% discount on wine packages (that we don't use) and a much appreciated 50% discount at the specialty restaurants. And priority boarding is a nice touch!

Other than "bragging rights", are there any perks I'm not aware of for upping one's post count? If so, I'll give up my social life and live on CC!

Thanks!

Being lazy enough to not answer other people's questions is fine with me but then they should be lazy enough to just go on to a thread that interests them. Too lazy to answer the question but active enough to denigrate the person asking is just plain wrong.

Roy

Yup! Just walk on by if you aren’t interested.

Getting to 4 Star Mariner level on HAL DOES get us unlimited laundry (without additional cost on that cruise) and a nice 50% discount on wine packages (that we don't use) and a much appreciated 50% discount at the specialty restaurants. And priority boarding is a nice touch!

Other than "bragging rights", are there any perks I'm not aware of for upping one's post count? If so, I'll give up my social life and live on CC!

Thanks!

I'm only experienced with Mariner levels 1-3, which are worth about as much as the words I'm typing right now. Hmmm. But thinking about that 4 Star.......makes me wonder if I'll get a free toaster when I hit make the 50,000 club. :D

I'm only experienced with Mariner levels 1-3, which are worth about as much as the words I'm typing right now. Hmmm. But thinking about that 4 Star.......makes me wonder if I'll get a free toaster when I hit make the 50,000 club. :D

You may get the free toaster, but you will never get it on the ship.

Sandra

I'm not the most experienced (HAL or any other) cruiser out there, but if I know the answer to a poster's question, and I know it to be accurate and somewhat current, I will try to answer their question. It is what I expect from folks' answering my questions. Many CC posters are very helpful. Some not so much. I try (speaking for myself) to be helpful when I can. I know how it feels when you are a newbie to a cruise line and you just need answers. It is very stressful and some folks just don't know where to turn to for help. The long time cruisers on this board have the answers to just about any question out there, and they know from experience... which we all know is the best teacher! As long as we all share information with each other, we will all be okay!

Our members are encouraged to ask questions on these boards to get information about their upcoming cruise from experienced cruisers. It serves no purpose or benefit to be told to use the search function. That opportunity is obviously available to all and thus is non-responsive at best and quite rude and useless at worse.

Posts as responses to questions or guidance requests that suggest the member use the search function are usually considered off topic and are subject to removal. When those posts also include negative commentary about the question and/or the member posting the question, the responder can expect his/her post to be removed, followed by a guideline reminder.

A very helpful post by Host Walt. I suggest those that don't like the "search for", etc. Take note of his comments.

Thanks!

There are no Perks that I am aware of for upping post count.

No benefits at all, unless you enjoy being on your roll call, talking about cruising or helping people that I am aware of.

A bit of history that I found once upon a time, long ago when I was searching ..

Many years ago, when this forum was established on an old, out dated system that many wouldn't recognize I read that a few members were "rewarded" for posting about certain cruises by those cruise lines. (Before my time for sure but stumbled on it once when I was searching) But that is way back in the dark ages - around the time of dos. ;). I only read it on what was once these boards in an old, very hard to read format and cannot verify the veracity of it.

To the best ofmy knowledge there are no benefits or "rewards" if there were ever for posting on these boards.

I keep seeing this day in and day out... Why can't people answer a question when asked? With this day and age with Google and Social Media people are wanting answers as quick as possible, because most times they are only a click away! We know that questions are being repeated all the time! If they would simply answer the question as in our "mission of Cruise Critic is stated in our guidelines" "If you post questions, please try to take the time to answer other members' questions as well...." People aren't answering the question but telling others to search and look for a previous answer on a previous thread when you know they know the answer! Sorry for the long rant, but l keep coming back to CC for new info on HAL and what has changed, and when I see the same members who have been here a long time and have helped countless new members and they seem to be inpatient with the "newer" crowd. Bottom Line: If you know the answer please answer it, if not leave it be until someone does answer. If a thread is repeated then it is repeated... JMO Soap Box Over Host Walt please delete if not okayed!

I agree with you and share your frustration. I'm a seasoned cruiser, but not on HAL. In the past when I've asked what I thought were reasonable questions on this HAL board, I've received some snarky responses. I don't understand why some people feel the need to respond like that. Maybe they have nothing better to do with their lives??

Agree! Post counts are highly overrated! :cool:

I fully agree but some people go to such lengths to post even one or two word comments, I was sure that there was some kind of "prize" for post counts that I hadn't been made aware of. Now that I know there is no prize and post counts are highly overrated, well, I can relax and get the laundry done!

I now that the search function is difficult to use, especially if your keywords bring up a lot of posts or threads, which often happens. I often find it frustrating. But people start new threads without even scanning the first two pages. For example, how many threads do we now have about the nonrefundable deposit?

If a topic has had a long and recent discussion, I see nothing wrong with giving a poster a brief answer specific to his/her question, and then saying "If you want to read more about this, check out this thread."

I now that the search function is difficult to use, especially if your keywords bring up a lot of posts or threads, which often happens. I often find it frustrating. But people start new threads without even scanning the first two pages. For example, how many threads do we now have about the nonrefundable deposit?

If a topic has had a long and recent discussion, I see nothing wrong with giving a poster a brief answer specific to his/her question, and then saying "If you want to read more about this, check out this thread."

That "works" for me.

I never send people to use the search engines.

I create comprehensive posts that answer frequent questions or clear up common confusions, and simply give a link to my posts or videos.

Example.

Example.

I will do more soon.

Even better, send them to the exact post, not just the thread.

The "#" link up in the top right of the exact post's frame has a

link to that exact post. (instead of a your "t" parameter it has

"p" and "postcount" parameters).

...and, oh yes verily, be sure it's not OLD DATA. :o

Edited by Haboob
truncated editing garbage at the end

Thank You for the reminder!

Even better, send them to the exact post, not just the thread.

The "#" link up in the top right of the exact post's frame has a

link to that exact post. (instead of a your "t" parameter it has

"p" and "postcount" parameters).

...and, oh yes verily, be sure it's not OLD DATA. :o

Thank you! I didn't know how to do that.

I keep seeing this day in and day out... Why can't people answer a question when asked? With this day and age with Google and Social Media people are wanting answers as quick as possible, because most times they are only a click away! We know that questions are being repeated all the time! If they would simply answer the question as in our "mission of Cruise Critic is stated in our guidelines" "If you post questions, please try to take the time to answer other members' questions as well...." People aren't answering the question but telling others to search and look for a previous answer on a previous thread when you know they know the answer! Sorry for the long rant, but l keep coming back to CC for new info on HAL and what has changed, and when I see the same members who have been here a long time and have helped countless new members and they seem to be inpatient with the "newer" crowd. Bottom Line: If you know the answer please answer it, if not leave it be until someone does answer. If a thread is repeated then it is repeated... JMO Soap Box Over Host Walt please delete if not okayed!

I agree. Sometimes that search option is crummy. Why have a forum if you don’t want to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums