Cruise Critic Mission??

fireman845

I keep seeing this day in and day out... Why can't people answer a question when asked? With this day and age with Google and Social Media people are wanting answers as quick as possible, because most times they are only a click away! We know that questions are being repeated all the time! If they would simply answer the question as in our "mission of Cruise Critic is stated in our guidelines" "If you post questions, please try to take the time to answer other members' questions as well...." People aren't answering the question but telling others to search and look for a previous answer on a previous thread when you know they know the answer! Sorry for the long rant, but l keep coming back to CC for new info on HAL and what has changed, and when I see the same members who have been here a long time and have helped countless new members and they seem to be inpatient with the "newer" crowd. Bottom Line: If you know the answer please answer it, if not leave it be until someone does answer. If a thread is repeated then it is repeated... JMO Soap Box Over Host Walt please delete if not okayed!

Fireman, I hadn’t thought of that, but sometimes do hesitate to ask a question because of the dreaded, “This has been asked before ... “ Not very inviting to people excited about their upcoming cruise who have questions to ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You bring up a valid point. I think two things are in play. Asking people to use the Search function can be educational to new CC members but secondly those old folks around here do sometimes get tired of the same questions. The time the second one is most valid is when the same question is two threads down. But I would take your point a step further and ask that we try and remove what sometimes can become very snarky comments and responses to each other.

I keep seeing this day in and day out... Why can't people answer a question when asked? With this day and age with Google and Social Media people are wanting answers as quick as possible, because most times they are only a click away! We know that questions are being repeated all the time! If they would simply answer the question as in our "mission of Cruise Critic is stated in our guidelines" "If you post questions, please try to take the time to answer other members' questions as well...." People aren't answering the question but telling others to search and look for a previous answer on a previous thread when you know they know the answer! Sorry for the long rant, but l keep coming back to CC for new info on HAL and what has changed, and when I see the same members who have been here a long time and have helped countless new members and they seem to be inpatient with the "newer" crowd. Bottom Line: If you know the answer please answer it, if not leave it be until someone does answer. If a thread is repeated then it is repeated... JMO Soap Box Over Host Walt please delete if not okayed!

Bolding is mine.

While there may be some that say to search (and I do understand and agree with your point on that), there are many long time posters who do answer the questions. Even if it is over and over ;).

Please don't paint all the long time posters here with the same brush. It's not fair to those of us that are here trying to help with questions IMO.

Good Points!

We're taking our first cruise on HAL in a few weeks, and this cruise has been more difficult to get answers/info/discussion than the previous 20+ cruises we've taken on other lines.

It's not a big issue for us, but an interesting realization. We've just had to work harder and make some "educated guesses" while planning.

It doesn't help that the Roll Calls are also the slowest I've ever experienced, so there is no way to get answers among your own "personal" group and, instead, have to turn to the "main" boards for questions that I'm sure have been answered many times before -- but for others.

Also...regarding the "Search" replies.....many times I'll search first, but the posts/answers are so old that I figure they are probably not useful for a current cruise.

Bolding is mine.

Please don't paint all the long time posters here with the same brush. It's not fair to those of us that are here trying to help with questions IMO.

Definitely not my intention to paint long time posters with same brush, just maybe a helpful reminder to the few...

fireman845, you make a good point. Almost everything has been discussed at one time or another. If everyone always used the search engine and didn't start new conversations, there would be very few new threads on this site. It would get very boring and uneventful.

And yes, there most certainly is a small group of regulars who can be impatient and unsympathetic toward newer posters.

Good Points!

Also...regarding the "Search" replies.....many times I'll search first, but the posts/answers are so old that I figure they are probably not useful for a current cruise.

Right on the money. The answer in 2015 may very well have changed.

Yes -- I have also noticed that not only on the HAL section but on a couple of other sections of CC, there are a couple of posters who do know the answers but tell others to use the search engine.

I think they are just too lazy to want to take the time to answer peoples questions.

Definitely not my intention to paint long time posters with same brush, just maybe a helpful reminder to the few...

And there is a useful CC tool for those few, you can choose the Ignore function so any post they make, you don't even see :cool::cool:

Yes -- I have also noticed that not only on the HAL section but on a couple of other sections of CC, there are a couple of posters who do know the answers but tell others to use the search engine.

... or constantly tell posters to contact Holland America Lines for confirmation of what has already been verified by other CC members ... :rolleyes:

... or constantly tell posters to contact Holland America Lines for confirmation of what has already been verified by other CC members ... :rolleyes:

Couldn’t agree more! I find out more here than by calling,

As often it takes multiple calls and I get multiple answers.

But I think the idea of searching too is important, as I have seen recent threads about the condition of a ship, that are not referred to when a poster asks about a specific ship. So as always good to do lots of research, as you may find out more.

Good Points!

We're taking our first cruise on HAL in a few weeks, and this cruise has been more difficult to get answers/info/discussion than the previous 20+ cruises we've taken on other lines.

Not to slam the posters to this area, but I too find the information in the HAL section of this site to be less comprehensive than in others. I really don't know why that is.

So far as the search function on this site, I really don't have a problem with it. However, I generally do better with a site specific Google search. eg: "rotterdam TV site:boards.cruisecritic.com"

I agree with your sentiments OP. Replying to simply use the Search feature is rude, especially as the Search feature is more often broken or completely useless.

I agree. The Search function is difficult. Meaningful results for Search are infrequent, in my experience. Some of that is because of the various spellings, terms, typos, thought processes that we all have as individuals. Some of it is from the unreliability (in my experience) of the actual Search function here :(

I agree with your sentiments OP. Replying to simply use the Search feature is rude, especially as the Search feature is more often broken or completely useless.

That has been my problem too. I try to search first, but it usually leads to dead ends and info not relevant to me. So I do appreciate if I can get fresh answers to old questions others may know by heart.

There was a time I "lived" on these board, posted a lot, and kept up with every new change. I am not on here much anymore, so appreciate when people are still willing to help.

Oh and one peeve of mine is if I ask something related to handicap, I am often told to go to the handicap exclusive boards. That is not very helpful and it is not very busy over there. Many more people will see it here and may be able to help me. So please don't send me packing. :)

If someone does answer a question. Can we all please keep the answer concise.

Also, it would be useful, if the person answering had informative info and had cruised recently.

Sandra

It would even more useful if the questioner would include pertinent details and/or respond to requests for clarifying info. A thoughtful question with relevant details is more likely to get thoughtful answers than 'is the Cheers package worth it?'

If someone does answer a question. Can we all please keep the answer concise.

Also, it would be useful, if the person answering had informative info and had cruised recently.

Sandra

This is true of those who haven't been on Koningsdam and are constantly talking about how much they dislike her.

New posters are definitely made to not feel welcome.Like we should know most things..erm..isn't that why we come to a site like Cruise Critic?:p

Not to slam the posters to this area, but I too find the information in the HAL section of this site to be less comprehensive than in others. I really don't know why that is.

When you say "less comprehensive" do you mean the posters who answer your questions don't give enough information? That the answers you receive on a thread are not in-depth enough?

I think they are just too lazy to want to take the time to answer peoples questions.

Being lazy enough to not answer other people's questions is fine with me but then they should be lazy enough to just go on to a thread that interests them. Too lazy to answer the question but active enough to denigrate the person asking is just plain wrong.

Roy

Being lazy enough to not answer other people's questions is fine with me but then they should be lazy enough to just go on to a thread that interests them. Too lazy to answer the question but active enough to denigrate the person asking is just plain wrong.

Roy

(y)(y)(y)

I think the OP's comments are excellent. If I can answer a question, I certainly try.

Also, and I'm going to take a hit (or many) on this, but it is daunting to ask a question and have 58 replies .... with some of them being "I agree" after the question has been answered several times. Or posts of "?????" or other such comments that are not helpful to the OP.

I get it. I understand that some CC members have high post counts. I don't know what the levels are to change from "Cool Cruiser" to the next designation and I don't care. Oh! I did ask once, a long time ago, but never got an answer! LOL

Yes, this is an open forum and ANYONE can post AS MANY TIMES AS THEY LIKE! :)

But sometimes one has to wade through several pages of "up the post count" comments to get definitive information about the original question.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but that's just how it looks some days!

Cheers!

We understand the OP rant and, as a very frequent poster who likes to help folks, understand both sides of the argument. CC has an excellent search engine which many posters simply do not use...or perhaps have not taken the time to learn how to use. On some of the European port boards (we have helped DIYers for many years) the same exact question is asked and answered many times a month! For example, I cannot even begin to count the number of times folks have asked how to transfer between FCO (Rome's main airport) and the port at Civitavecchia. When I see somebody ask that question who has thousands of previous posts, we sometimes answer....but other times we will suggest they use the search engine...and there are times when almost none of the regulars will answer...because the same exact question has been asked within the last few days and is right there on the board.

For those who have never tried the CC Search Engine, just look towards the top of the page on the line that starts "Boards Home" and glance to the right and you will see "Search Boards" :). Click on that and you will find a terrific tool (apparently not used by many) that lets you quickly search all of CC or specific places. There is another simpler search option called "Search Forum" which is towards the top right....which makes it easy to search the forum you are viewing.

Hank