Early disembarkation from Miami port for flight out of Ft. Lauderdale

Chrisfromco

We are looking at a Southern Caribbean in October on Equinox. The cruise is out of Miami. Is it crazy to try and make a flight home out of Fort Lauderdale at 11:45am? Southwest just released flights into October and I wanted to book with miles. The latest flight for that price is at 11:45. If I self disembark can we make it in time? I've always used QLS transportation in the past and they have been on time. Not sure if I'm pushing it, considering it will be a Tuesday and work traffic could be a factor. Any help would be much appreciated!

Chris

We are looking at a Southern Caribbean in October on Equinox. The cruise is out of Miami. Is it crazy to try and make a flight home out of Fort Lauderdale at 11:45am? Southwest just released flights into October and I wanted to book with miles. The latest flight for that price is at 11:45. If I self disembark can we make it in time? I've always used QLS transportation in the past and they have been on time. Not sure if I'm pushing it, considering it will be a Tuesday and work traffic could be a factor. Any help would be much appreciated!

Chris

You will have plenty of time.

Chris

We just did this cruise on the Equinox this past October and shared some of the same concerns, re timing.

We did self assist walk off. Walk offs commenced at exactly 7:20. We purposely delayed our walk off as our pre-arranged ride with Larry’s Limos wasn’t due to pick us up until 8:30 for our ride to Ft Lauderdale. People started lining up for walkoff as early as 6:15-6:30, because we walked past the long lines on our way to Blu for breakfast. By the time we left Blu at 7:00, the line stretched all the way back to Blu in one direction and all the way back to the showroom in the other direction. I know this because I purposely walked the length of the ship just to check it out.

So, at 7:20 walk off started. By 7:35, everyone was gone.

We met up with our friends and strolled off together at 7:35 and were outside and processed through by 7:45 or 7:50, so there is no need to wait in that long line in an attempt to be first off, as we were probably the 1,000th persons to walk off and there was virtually no wait downstairs.

Next time I would ask for an 8:00 am pickup time. There were plenty of cabs, and I also noticed some shuttles picking up... I thought I saw SAS. There is always Uber, too.

Anyway, traffic was horrible on that Monday, but our driver was able to use the Express lane because he had a special access pass or something, and the non Express traffic was sitting still or just inching along the whole way.

It took us around 45-60 mins to get to the Riverside Hotel, which is a lot farther than FLL., maybe 10-15 mins drive beyond the airport.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted to give you an idea of the timing. Basically, we made it to our hotel by 9:30 am.

You should be fine.

On second thought, I think what you should do is plan on arranging a private ride so that you won’t have to wait for a shuttle to fill up, hence, wasting valuable time.

Edited by 4cats4me

Yep, you SHOULD have plenty of time. Too close for me but that's just me. I'd be nervous the night before and that morning, wouldn't enjoy that last few hours on the ship. Not worth it to me.

Traffic in S Florida is horrendous! Anything can happen and there aren't a lot of ways to get around it.

But logistically if you get off early you should be able to make it. Heck, if all goes well you'll be there by 9:00.

You will probably make it, with probably being the operative word. All has to be on time for disembarkation (which is usually but not always the case), and then traffic has to be as usual (which means heavy). Have a Plan B in your back pocket just in case disembarkation is delayed for some reason.

IMHO seems to be more and more people doing walk-off in the mornings. I'd like to think these were all folks anxious to catch early flights. But unfortunately I overhear more and more local people talking about how they like to do the self disembarkation to get home sooner. To them I say - have some consideration PLEASE. Not everyone has the luxury of hopping into their car for a short ride home.

You will probably make it, with probably being the operative word. All has to be on time for disembarkation (which is usually but not always the case), and then traffic has to be as usual (which means heavy). Have a Plan B in your back pocket just in case disembarkation is delayed for some reason.

IMHO seems to be more and more people doing walk-off in the mornings. I'd like to think these were all folks anxious to catch early flights. But unfortunately I overhear more and more local people talking about how they like to do the self disembarkation to get home sooner. To them I say - have some consideration PLEASE. Not everyone has the luxury of hopping into their car for a short ride home.

Remember the olden days before any self disembarking?

And then they started self disembarkation and not that many seemed to partake. Now it seems at least a third to half, depending on the itinerary.

We did appreciate self disembarking in

L.A., as we had an 8 hour drive home and needed to get on the road ASAP

Regarding those who have early flights, we just line up extra early to be in the first wave if we have an earlier flight.

Remember the olden days before any self disembarking?

And then they started self disembarkation and not that many seemed to partake. Now it seems at least a third to half, depending on the itinerary.

We did appreciate self disembarking in

L.A., as we had an 8 hour drive home and needed to get on the road ASAP

Regarding those who have early flights, we just line up extra early to be in the first wave if we have an earlier flight.

On our last (recent) cruise, people were lined up an hour before disembarkation was to begin. To me, it's ridiculous that you would need to do that. We ate in Blu and had to fight our way through the crowds even though we got to Blu at opening of 6:30. Elevators were jammed with luggage for the first 1 1/2 - 2 hours. People are deciding they just don't want to have to wait for their luggage number to be called so they just save it and leave when they feel like it. That's just wrong and inconsiderate as all get-out. There may be situations where you need to get off early even if you are driving, but overall the early disembarkation should be reserved for the purpose it was created - to allow people with early flights to get to the airport on time. If enough people keep abusing the privilege, I could see the option being taken away.

I really appreciate all your input! I reserved the flight with points for now, but I'll look at the options you all have mentioned. Fortunately with southwest I can change later without cost. I understand your comments of not wanting the last morning to be so stressful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last (recent) cruise, people were lined up an hour before disembarkation was to begin. To me, it's ridiculous that you would need to do that. We ate in Blu and had to fight our way through the crowds even though we got to Blu at opening of 6:30. Elevators were jammed with luggage for the first 1 1/2 - 2 hours. People are deciding they just don't want to have to wait for their luggage number to be called so they just save it and leave when they feel like it. That's just wrong and inconsiderate as all get-out. There may be situations where you need to get off early even if you are driving, but overall the early disembarkation should be reserved for the purpose it was created - to allow people with early flights to get to the airport on time. If enough people keep abusing the privilege, I could see the option being taken away.

On Princess they limit the number of walkoffs, so I don’t see the option being taken away since it is controlled. You have to sign up for it early in the cruise.

Celebrity used to make us sign up for it, around 4 years ago, and I was quite surprised last Oct when I inquired at the purser’s desk onboard Equinox about the procedure and simply told to “just show up. “.

I expected a chaotic disembark, but it was the opposite, it was the most efficient process of all of our cruises. Miami seemed more efficient than Ft Lauderdale, actually.

The OP said he was taking QLS, so he isn't necessarily taking a shuttle. After all, the "L" in QLS stands for limo. Every time we've used QLS, we've reserved a private car for transport.

WELCOME TO QUALITY LIMO SERVICE TRANSPORTATION

QLS provides comfortable, reliable and affordable shuttles, as well as private airport transportation service in Fort Lauderdale, Miami and surrounding areas.

Unless the OP has arranged private transportation, I stand by what I said. A shuttle by definition means some waiting for others.

Last October I arranged a van from SAS to pick up a group of us from our roll call. I requested a 9:00 a.m. pickup and asked the group to meet at 8:00 a.m. on the ship so we could all disembark together. A few weeks before the cruise, some members of the group had Southwest change their flight time to something like 11:45 but they decided to take the chance and stick with us. We disembarked the ship, I called SAS and said we were ready and a van was right there to meet us. We were at the airport by 9:45 a.m. easily. This time frame included some of us (DH and I) having to wait a very long time for our luggage to appear. For everyone else, the luggage carousel at Port of Miami is great. For us, not so much.

But, my point is, even with some delay, we were at FLL with time to spare.

I've made a similar departure time from FLL when sailing from Miami. As others posters have said, you SHOULD make it no problem. The only time I wouldn't have made it there was a medical emergency and we came into Miami late.

For those suggesting uber and/or the limo, do they also have fast passes? I typically use SAS because of that fast pass for the left lane. It can make a world of difference in time.

Enjoy!

WELCOME TO QUALITY LIMO SERVICE TRANSPORTATION

QLS provides comfortable, reliable and affordable shuttles, as well as private airport transportation service in Fort Lauderdale, Miami and surrounding areas.

Unless the OP has arranged private transportation, I stand by what I said. A shuttle by definition means some waiting for others.

I'm not sure why you're giving me the definition of a shuttle when the OP never mentioned the word shuttle. He merely said that he has used QLS Transportation in the past.

In fact, your post makes absolutely zero sense as a response to mine. I said that the "L" in QLS stands for limo and that they offer private transportation in addition to shuttle service. I also added that my wife and I have always used QLS for a private car rather than as a shuttle. I really have no idea what or why you're trying to argue.

I did not do a self disembark - but once down to the terminal, it took 90 minutes to get through customs! Not sure what the hold up was, but it was not a fun way to end a cruise. With that said, once outside, booked an Uber - and we're at our day hotel by 10:30am. (Our flight didn't leave until 6:30pm . . . ugh) I would say - not a problem.

It will depend on the day of the week - If it's a Saturday or Sunday there is no problem, weekdays add another hour for traffic.

Last month(02/18) off the Eclipse we had an 11:02 flight from FLL on Jet Blue and had no problem with time.

Did not do walk off and had number 5(7:45) disembarking, got luggage off carousel and a porter, Called our shuttle, SAS. Went to the assigned pickup, boarded shuttle and then the driver made rounds of other ships for pickup then to FLL. Arrived at the airport by 9:15 and checked in.

An 11:45 flight should be comfortably whitin the time needed to disembark, travel and make your flight.

Hal

How many ships will be returning to Port Everglades? They will get to the airport first...security lines may be long.

If you get tsa precheck..that will help

Too stressful for us but you can make it if there are no hiccups.

Or a long two day drive home. We drive and self disembark. We self disembark because we've had an incident with our luggage at the Miami cruiseport and seen incidents elsewhere. A lady took my suitcase which had a big red band around it with my name printed on it (from Magellan) and all kinds of tags and ribbons. We spent an hour looking for it. Fortunately she did not take it out of the port and returned it. We missed our shuttle because of it. I've also had tagged luggage put on the wrong carousel and seen others in our TA party have their suitcases disappear (Barcelona). I don't think anyone's reason for getting off early is anyone else's concern.

Last October I arranged a van from SAS to pick up a group of us from our roll call. I requested a 9:00 a.m. pickup and asked the group to meet at 8:00 a.m. on the ship so we could all disembark together. A few weeks before the cruise, some members of the group had Southwest change their flight time to something like 11:45 but they decided to take the chance and stick with us. We disembarked the ship, I called SAS and said we were ready and a van was right there to meet us. We were at the airport by 9:45 a.m. easily. This time frame included some of us (DH and I) having to wait a very long time for our luggage to appear. For everyone else, the luggage carousel at Port of Miami is great. For us, not so much.

But, my point is, even with some delay, we were at FLL with time to spare.

Hi. We are a family of 10 do you suggest a vam from SAS?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums