New Princess Cruiser

claudiniusmaximus

Hi Folks

I’ve sailed with p&o and celebrity and now am trying Sapphire Princess for a Baltic cruise in June.

I’ve got a few questions which I’m sure I’ll find the answers to researching this board but one I’ve not been able to answer myself is about the piazza.

So as I understand it there are some food venues In the piazza eg Alfredo’s, a tapas place, a pizza place etc. Are those venues classed as Included dining or is there a charge? (I know there are specialty restaurants as well but the piazza ones don’t seem to be classed as specialty restaurants).

If they are included, are they also open in the evenings?

I may have completely misunderstood.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know of a Tapas place. The only places that charge extra are the 2 specialty dining, the seafood bar and the crab shack. The international cage is open 24 hours. Alfredo's and the 2 places up by the pool are open into the evening, not sure what time they close 10 ish?

So as I understand it there are some food venues In the piazza e.g. Alfredo’s, a tapas place, a pizza place etc. Are those venues classed as Included dining or is there a charge? (I know there are specialty restaurants as well but the piazza ones don’t seem to be classed as specialty restaurants).

If they are included, are they also open in the evenings?

Alfredo's is pizza, sit down, no charge. Open lunch & dinner times.

Tapas are available at Vines Bar when you buy a glass of wine (tapas are free, wine isn't), some chairs & tables. Not sure of the hours, evenings.

"Pizza place" is on Lido deck (along with a hamburger/hot dog place and an ice cream stand). No charge, walk up only. However, tables & chairs are available all over the Lido deck. Open from 11ish to 11 or so in the evening.

International Café is also on Plaza deck. Food is free. The coffee bar next to it charges for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc., unless you buy a coffee card. Open 24 hours.

Room service is free (except for pizza $3), 24 hours?, limited menu.

You won't go hungry:D

A note about Alfredo's: I see a lot of people ordering a pizza apiece. If you can eat that much it's fine but my wife and I simply can't eat a whole pizza each. Yes, they are not large and may may see them as a single person pizza but we share one and it's perfect. Remember, if you order one to share and it isn't enough you can always order another one. The wait is minimal. (I hate wasting food.)

Alfredo’s is great and yes it’s free of charge. There’s a lot more then pizza on the menu. Everything is soooooo good.

Tony

Not on the Grand class of ships. Only the Royal class ships have anything other than pizza.

Thanks for replies. So, Alfredo’s is the only dining venue in the Piazza? Ah for some reason I thought there were several.

But alongside that is the international cafe (a coffee shop with pastries and sandwiches etc) and Vines (tapas comes with drinks).

Then there are some places on the lido deck too.

(It’s not so much about fear of going hungry more that if we don’t like the buffet or we don’t fancy a two hour dinner we’d like some options).

Ok that’s great info, thanks.

Just to be clear my partner drinks and I don’t. If we go to Vines and he drinks wine and I drink Diet Coke does he get tapas but not me?

And final unrelated questions do Princess have Friends of Bill W meetings on board like Celebrity do?

Cheers all:)

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Thanks for replies. So, Alfredo’s is the only dining venue in the Piazza? Ah for some reason I thought there were several.

Only waiter served dining venue.

But alongside that is the international cafe (a coffee shop with pastries and sandwiches etc)

I.C. is walk up counter service, open 24 hours, serving pastries, muffins and some other selections in the morning, then a selection of panini sandwiches, quiche, pot pies, soup, salads, desserts until late evening, then snacks over night. You get your selections and sit at one of the tables in the piazza area. Server help is available if needed. The espresso Bar is adjacent to the I.C.

and Vines (tapas comes with drinks).

Yes. I believe also sushi

Then there are some places on the lido deck too.

Yes. Prego Pizza, pizza by the slice; Trident Grill, burgers, hot dogs, french fries, brats, grilled chicken. On some ships the grill menu is changed in the evening adding some BBQ items. No sure if this is done on the Sapphire. There is also Swirls. Soft ice cream is no charge. There is a charge for milk shakes and malts. These 3 venues are open from 11am until late evening.

(It’s not so much about fear of going hungry more that if we don’t like the buffet or we don’t fancy a two hour dinner we’d like some options).

Ok that’s great info, thanks.

Just to be clear my partner drinks and I don’t. If we go to Vines and he drinks wine and I drink Diet Coke does he get tapas but not me?

If you order a diet coke you may be able to get some tapas. Just ask. By the way if you consume lots of coke consider the soda sticker. US$8.05.day

And final unrelated questions do Princess have Friends of Bill W meetings on board like Celebrity do?

Yes. Times and locations are listed in the Princess Patter. I think they have it every day.

Cheers all:)

see above

Let us know how your cruise on Sapphire is. We are doing the med on her in July and will be interested in your reviews

Will do. Am actually really excited. Have been put off trying Princess a bit due to lack of Crows Nest (Skywalkers just faces the wrong way[emoji6]) but we absolutely loved Celebrity - it was such a step up from p&o so really looking forward to Princess now.

Will do. Am actually really excited. Have been put off trying Princess a bit due to lack of Crows Nest (Skywalkers just faces the wrong way[emoji6]) but we absolutely loved Celebrity - it was such a step up from p&o so really looking forward to Princess now.

Our last 3 cruises have been Celebrity *2 and the p@o last year ( too big for us and not the same league) Really pleased to be going back on princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The following are the venues on Plaza deck on the Sapphire:

Alfredo’s - Sit down Neapolitan style pizza - free

International Cafe - Takeaway food - free, coffee drinks - charge

Bar Piazza - Drinks - charge

Vine - Wine Bar - charge NOTE: no tapas or sushi on Sapphire or Grand

Savoy and Vivaldi Dining Rooms - these are two of the five main dining room on the Sapphire and the menus are the same, except for one specialty dish in each dining room

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is an Alfredo's on the Grand also

https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=AP

Yep, and it's in the Piazza next to Vines. No tapas on that ship but, as I said, Alfredo's is right next door and IC is just across the way. If you ask about tapas they will offer to get you a cheese plate or something from IC but it's so easy to just do it yourself it seems silly to have the crew do it for you.

OP, like you, my wife and I like to have a lighter dinner several evenings during a cruise. So, we have visited Alfredo's and I am going to dispute Thrak a little, here, if you are making a dinner of it, a personal pizza for each of us is not too much. As has been mentioned, pizza is the only menu item at Alfredo's on Sapphire Princess. However, there is no problem bringing in a salad from the International Cafe on the other side of the Piazza.

We have also had dinners at Vines--she likes Sushi, and I go for the Tapas. They seem to bring one order with a glass of wine. So, we always have two glasses of wine and two orders of Sushi/Tapas.. Both of us enjoy wine. So, I'm no help on the Diet Coke question. However, a smile and a courteous request will go a long way. One more warning, though. There have been times when Vines was not offering Sushi. That disappointed my wife. Also, I just thought of this, people often bring noshes from the International Cafe to enjoy at Vines,

[Edit] OK, I just read some of the posts that came in while I was composing. That's right about no Tapas/Sushi on the Grand Princess. We did get the cheese.

Book the Pacific. It's not Skywalkers, but it's in the front.