Are real eggs for omelets going the way of fresh ok?

KirkNC

Almost all food is processed. Slicing up vegetables for a salad is processing food. Anything cooked is processed.

igraf

Processed foods are just as bad for you as cigarettes. I hope cruise ships consider this when they serve us "food."

<snip>

No one expects anyone to eat everything they put out. Pick and choose to your own tastes and needs.

Bolding is mine. eggs are not put out (other than some eggs benedict). they are made to order.

So, you want those that can't eat goo to eat only fried eggs and poached eggs? got it. I don't call that picking and choosing. I call it forced to choose.

And what about the people that really can't eat the goo??? Some of us can't eat that stuff.

A lot of fuss is made on special dietary needs and well catered to. But those that can't eat the "goo" must pick and choose? Sorry I vehemently disagree with your statement.

30 days of poached / fried eggs is not my cup of tea.

In Canada, (I can’t speak for US), the better quality eggs in a carton have 2 ingredients- eggs and ascorbic acid - which in its simplest form is lemon juice. I would imagine that the brand they are using are of the better quality. Perhaps you could ask the chef for the list of ingredients in order to ascertain whether you really do have a food sensitivity, or if it’s really just a negative perception to that particular product?

Uh oh, the new boogieman topic on the HAL boards. Judging from the first two pages I'm thinking this has all the potential of an eight or nine page rant. That's assuming it doesn't get off topic and run into other foods. But I've been wrong before. Jeans in the MDR beat my wildest expectations. :eek:

Bolding is mine. eggs are not put out (other than some eggs benedict). they are made to order.

So, you want those that can't eat goo to eat only fried eggs and poached eggs? got it. I don't call that picking and choosing. I call it forced to choose.

And what about the people that really can't eat the goo??? Some of us can't eat that stuff.

A lot of fuss is made on special dietary needs and well catered to. But those that can't eat the "goo" must pick and choose? Sorry I vehemently disagree with your statement.

30 days of poached / fried eggs is not my cup of tea.

Yes, you are forced to choose from what they put out. For the reasons they put it out. But one can always vote to the contrary with their feet and their pocket book. Guess you will just have to find something else to eat or pick another cruise line. This is not hard, nor should it be a surprise.

In Canada, (I can’t speak for US), the better quality eggs in a carton have 2 ingredients- eggs and ascorbic acid - which in its simplest form is lemon juice. I would imagine that the brand they are using are of the better quality. Perhaps you could ask the chef for the list of ingredients in order to ascertain whether you really do have a food sensitivity, or if it’s really just a negative perception to that particular product?

I don't need a list of ingredients to tell me what I can't eat.

And no, the goo, is not of better quality and it is not the same as real eggs at least not for me. (and I am Canadian) Nor is Oceania's for the record. (If it were, I could eat it). There is not much I can't eat and can easily avoid them - milk, homogenized products, etc.

I don't request a special diet from HAL, no need. But I do know what I can't eat. I don't question those that can't eat certain products so I would appreciate it if the same courtesy was extended to me. Some of us do have an issue with this and it's much more than a sensitivity. It can cause a very serious problem.

I don't need a problem on a cruise and I SHOULD have a choice just as everyone else does. but that's just my feeling that I should at the very least have the few choices that I do at home.

Well, if as one poster reported, HAL is going to insist on serving this nasty slimy processed slop, instead of fresh eggs.... even when specifically requested by a paying guest... that does tell me a lot. As I said, if they serve raw fresh eggs in several other ways, there is no sane rational justification for this.

Roy Sodamin should be ashamed....

NO nasty fake omelettes if I decide to go with HAL for a Med. cruise next year.

There IS a difference in most 'processed' foods.

If there are those who can deny that, then fine.

I am not here to rant or argue.

But, NO omelettes for me.

They serve raw seafood, sashimi and sushi, right?

AT AN ADDITIONAL COST.

Methinks we have our answer here.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Certain eggs (even looking at only different brands sold in-shell, not counting goo/can/etc egg products) can cause digestive upset to some individuals. Hopefully upcoming replies in this thread will accept that as a given.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
autocorrect mishap

Well, if as one poster reported, HAL is going to insist on serving this nasty slimy processed slop, instead of fresh eggs.... even when specifically requested by a paying guest... that does tell me a lot. As I said, if they serve raw fresh eggs in several other ways, there is no sane rational justification for this.

Roy Sodamin should be ashamed....

NO nasty fake omelettes if I decide to go with HAL for a Med. cruise next year.

There IS a difference in most 'processed' foods.

If there are those who can deny that, then fine.

I am not here to rant or argue.

But, NO omelettes for me.

They serve raw seafood, sashimi and sushi, right?

AT AN ADDITIONAL COST.

Methinks we have our answer here.

IMO you make good points. However I can imagine that HAL is thinking, people are impressed when they see a sushi station, while shell eggs at the grill area... not really so memorable. Personally, I'd be just as happy if they chose to spend the $ on the eggs vs. the sushi, but I can see why they'd opt for the sushi.

Certain eggs (even looking at only different brands sold in-shell, not counting goo/can/etc egg products) can cause digestive upset to some individuals. Hopefully upcoming replies in this thread will accept that as a given.

I learned many many years ago...after eating in several different locations in our state at a chain type breakfast buffet that the "eggs in a carton"...made me sick...very sick!! After many cruises I stick to hard boiled eggs...or fried eggs...no omelets or scrambled......Thankfully I also love the European style breakfast...bread, meat and cheese...with some fruit. DH eats the scrambled eggs and has no problem! At home we are lucky enough to be able to buy our eggs from friends and neighbors, we are spoiled!

I don't like the taste of the goo either so I enjoy all the fruits and other offerings at the buffet. I like a hard boiled egg once in awhile. There's plenty of other stuff to eat. We aren't real egg lovers but if we were, we can understand others who wish there were real eggs in the scrambled. Or, even if they are real eggs, they don't taste very good.

Last August, while on the Rotterdam's VOV cruise, we asked (several times) at the Lido breakfast if we could have an omelet made with real eggs. Several different cooks told us, no! One day a senior supervisor (in the Lido) stopped over at our table to say hello and ask about our breakfast, service, etc. We asked him was there anyway to get an omelet made with real eggs. He told us, No....and that they were only using real eggs for items where they "were necessary" such as fried eggs, and eggs benedict. He explained that it was company policy.

We have run into this issue on several different cruise lines, but on other lines if you made a specific request for real eggs they would fulfill your request. The problem with the commercial boxed eggs is that they are pasteurized and have a consistency that is unlike real eggs. I am OK with that stuff in scrambled eggs, but the texture of an omelet is just all wrong. Bottom line is that real eggs (in omelets and scrambled eggs) have gone the way of real fresh squeezed OJ.....off the ship!

Hank

Hank

That confirms my fear that it is headed fleet wide. We have spent so much time on the P’dam where fresh eggs were available as recently as January we were unaware of the change elsewhere. That reallly was my original question but as always some run off in all kinds of directions.

I truly don't understand the purpose of this statement. I read it as being passive aggressive - was that your intent?

No, it was not. I simply don't understand what is meant by "whole foods." Does it mean only fresh? Never frozen? No preservatives? Only organic? Whole Foods Market sells all of the above. So, what does it mean, pls.?

Common nutritional catch phrases like "whole foods" and "processed" are so generalized that they mean nothing at all.

One must be realistic about being served "fresh" food on a cruise ship as most supplies are loaded at the beginning of the cruise.

igraf

No, it was not. I simply don't understand what is meant by "whole foods." Does it mean only fresh? Never frozen? No preservatives? Only organic? Whole Foods Market sells all of the above. So, what does it mean, pls.?

Yes, you are forced to choose from what they put out. For the reasons they put it out. But one can always vote to the contrary with their feet and their pocket book. Guess you will just have to find something else to eat or pick another cruise line. This is not hard, nor should it be a surprise.

Spot on, OlsSalt!!! (y)(y)(y)

Common nutritional catch phrases like "whole foods" and "processed" are so generalized that they mean nothing at all.

One must be realistic about being served "fresh" food on a cruise ship as most supplies are loaded at the beginning of the cruise.

igraf

Thank you for answering my question. I rather thought that it was simply a catch phrase but wondered if I was missing something. And your observation about being realistic is well founded.

This topic of more highly processed foods on the mass cruise lines is one of the many reasons we moved up to Oceania.

We do not consume such food, but I accept that the mass lines will use egg "goo" and other highly modified foods because of the increased size of ships but also, well, the diet of many north americans is highly processed. The mass lines know most patrons will not object and it is likely much cheaper to store and use the egg "goo" versus real eggs.

But, in the end, it is rather sad that something as simple as a basic egg can not be used. Says alot about being cheap as well.

Fortunately, if one is a foodie and or highly desireous of pure food etc - the premium lines are the way to go.

Egg products "the goo" can be made from US grade B eggs. Grades AA and A are mostly sold in US stores. One egg in 30,000 is contaminated with salmonella. Eggs can be pasteurized in the shell at 135 F for an hour and 15 minutes. Eggs are added to many other dishes prepared on board. The "pooling" of eggs is what brought about the introduction of "the goo". "Pooling" is mixing of many eggs in a large bowl, or vat,then scrambling, sometimes with the shells on, a fine sieve would remove the shells. All scrambled eggs made from whole eggs must only scrambled in a clean bowl with just those eggs for that dish. It is all because of food and sanitation standards change. Lots of ever changing USDA rules for the large traveling public.

Egg products "the goo" can be made from US grade B eggs. Grades AA and A are mostly sold in US stores. One egg in 30,000 is contaminated with salmonella. Eggs can be pasteurized in the shell at 135 F for an hour and 15 minutes. Eggs are added to many other dishes prepared on board. The "pooling" of eggs is what brought about the introduction of "the goo". "Pooling" is mixing of many eggs in a large bowl, or vat,then scrambling, sometimes with the shells on, a fine sieve would remove the shells. All scrambled eggs made from whole eggs must only scrambled in a clean bowl with just those eggs for that dish. It is all because of food and sanitation standards change. Lots of ever changing USDA rules for the large traveling public.

Interesting. What is the difference in grades?

This topic of more highly processed foods on the mass cruise lines is one of the many reasons we moved up to Oceania.

We do not consume such food, but I accept that the mass lines will use egg "goo" and other highly modified foods because of the increased size of ships but also, well, the diet of many north americans is highly processed. The mass lines know most patrons will not object and it is likely much cheaper to store and use the egg "goo" versus real eggs.

But, in the end, it is rather sad that something as simple as a basic egg can not be used. Says alot about being cheap as well.

Fortunately, if one is a foodie and or highly desireous of pure food etc - the premium lines are the way to go.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I sailed Oceania - Riviera and the eggs used in room service are definitely from the "goo". Like it or lump it, believe it or not, they were when we were on board.

Interestingly enough no one on O calls to see how your room service was unlike HAL.

I only sailed once on O (once was enough). I would not call it a "foodie" experience.

igraf

The dictionary describes whole foods as "food the has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free of additives or other artificial substances."

That is the meaning that I was using.