Are real eggs for omelets going the way of fresh ok?

KirkNC

My experience: Omelets made in either the Lido Restaurant or in the galley of the MDR meet my taste expectations.

I don't often order Eggs Benedict, or any of the interesting variations of the dish, in the Lido Restaurant.due to one experience when my taste buds told me vinegar had been added to the cooking water for the eggs (for whatever reason). I have not had that "taste sensation" when ordering Eggs Benedict in the MDR.

Yes, you are forced to choose from what they put out. For the reasons they put it out. But one can always vote to the contrary with their feet and their pocket book. Guess you will just have to find something else to eat or pick another cruise line. This is not hard, nor should it be a surprise.

I've noticed you've been saying this a lot lately. People are entitled to express issues here.

I bet HAL wouldn't appreciate you saying that. If everyone did that who had an issue, HAL would not be operating. :eek: They are not going to keep the ships running for a few chosen cheerleaders. I prefer to get my problems resolved, thank you and thanks for your appreciation of food sensitivities of others :rolleyes:

Th't help but think that I bet HAL doesn't appreciate you saying that. If everyone did that HAL would not be operating. I prefer to get my problems resolved, thank you

My experience: Omelets made in either the Lido Restaurant or in the galley of the MDR meet my taste expectations.

I don't often order Eggs Benedict, or any of the interesting variations of the dish, in the Lido Restaurant.due to one experience when my taste buds told me vinegar had been added to the cooking water for the eggs (for whatever reason). I have not had that "taste sensation" when ordering Eggs Benedict in the MDR.

While not required, a trace of vinegar is often added to the water to help the coagulation of the egg whites when poaching. Perhaps they used too much.

The dictionary describes whole foods as "food the has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free of additives or other artificial substances."

That is the meaning that I was using.

Thank you for responding. But isn't the criteria "as little as possible" somewhat difficult to ascertain? It would seem that no ship embarking on a lengthy cruise could avoid buying food which contain preservatives.

Thank you for responding. But isn't the criteria "as little as possible" somewhat difficult to ascertain? It would seem that no ship embarking on a lengthy cruise could avoid buying food which contain preservatives.

It's the over reliance on processed foods that's the problem. It's the difference between making a tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes vs opening a can of tomatoes. Making breads and pastries from scratch vs simply baking off frozen products. Or, as the OP has noted, making an omelet from eggs instead of an egg product which more often than not contains additives and preservatives.

This topic of more highly processed foods on the mass cruise lines is one of the many reasons we moved up to Oceania.

We do not consume such food, but I accept that the mass lines will use egg "goo" and other highly modified foods because of the increased size of ships but also, well, the diet of many north americans is highly processed. The mass lines know most patrons will not object and it is likely much cheaper to store and use the egg "goo" versus real eggs.

But, in the end, it is rather sad that something as simple as a basic egg can not be used. Says alot about being cheap as well.

Fortunately, if one is a foodie and or highly desireous of pure food etc - the premium lines are the way to go.

I cannot speak to the type of eggs used on Oceania but it is a food lovers delight. High quality ingredients with high quality prep sold us.

Not everyone can appreciate the quality including some of our relatives, they much prefer eating at Applebee’s to eating at a fine dining establishment.

We also love the myriad of choices- Terrace Grill, Waves, the Grand Dining Room plus either two or four specialty restaurants, all complimentary. The two ships built by Oceania also offer two dining areas with a cover charge, worth sampling once.

Huge menus, especially in the specialties.

I cannot speak to the type of eggs used on Oceania but it is a food lovers delight.

Oh, please. Oceania food is overhyped so much that even the people who sail and eat on her ships have started to believe their own PR.

The food on my Oceania cruise was all right---most of the time. They couldn't cook bacon the way I wanted it, even though I made it very clear. Daily. Talk about an exercise in frustration. My friend couldn't get eggs cooked the way she wanted, either. Daily.

Dinners in the dining room were decent, except for Thanksgiving. Their interpretation of an American Thanksgiving dinner was laughable.

Jacques was good, and so was Privée (but at $250 for up to 10 people, it should be). The other specialty restaurants were nothing special.

Waves was excellent. I will give them that.

Service in the main dining room was poor, at best. Oceania has nothing on HAL in that regard.

For the money Oceania charges, that line was a "one and done", for good reason.

...My friend couldn't get eggs cooked the way she wanted, either. Daily.

The OP can't even get eggs, let alone get them cooked the way they wanted in the omelet on HAL. So it seems that both lines have a problem with eggs.

This explains why my DW was complaining about the scrambled eggs when we ate breakfast on the Zaandam's Lido buffet this past January. I had Eggs Benedict so I didn't know what she was complaining about until I tried them. It was odd. There was no body too them, just very mushy. She finally switched to crappes as they did use real eggs to make them.

We're on 3 cruises this year on Oceania. It will be interesting to see what the scrambled eggs taste like on their ships. We will also be interested to see if they use real eggs when making an omelet. If not I guess I'll be eating Eggs Benedict for breakfast every morning unless they have something else tasty to try.

We're on 3 cruises this year on Oceania. It will be interesting to see what the scrambled eggs taste like on their ships. We will also be interested to see if they use real eggs when making an omelet. If not I guess I'll be eating Eggs Benedict for breakfast every morning unless they have something else tasty to try.

Contrary to Ruth's experience, we found Oceania food to be far superior to HAL. Dining room service was almost up to HAL standards, and all specialty dining was better than Pinnacle Grill. Breakfasts were excellent, and I believe you will be pleased with your eggs :)

Just our experience....everyone has one of their own.

Contrary to Ruth's experience, we found Oceania food to be far superior to HAL. Dining room service was almost up to HAL standards, and all specialty dining was better than Pinnacle Grill. Breakfasts were excellent, and I believe you will be pleased with your eggs :)

Thanks! We've been on 2 cruises on the Riviera, one being a norovirus "code red" cruise, and have no doubt we will have a great time and will love all of the meals served. But it will be interesting to see how their scrambled eggs taste.

The weird thing was this was the first cruise my DW noticed something was different with the taste and texture of the scrambled eggs up at the buffet. We were on the Amsterdam for 14 days in July and they were fine.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

And, I have to say sadly, that my experience mimics Ruth pretty much. I know, it was a one off cruise for 4 or 5 cruises in a row, but once bitten twice shy.

It was defintiely not worth the money for us.

What bothered me more is when we returned I sent a detailed, documented letter on our cruise and the reply was basically PFO.

I have never seen HAL do that.

But, the rooms are well laid out and beautiful.

DH who is pretty easy going was furious and will not sail on that line again.

And, I have to say sadly, that my experience mimics Ruth pretty much. I know, it was a one off cruise for 4 or 5 cruises in a row, but once bitten twice shy.

It was defintiely not worth the money for us.

What bothered me more is when we returned I sent a detailed, documented letter on our cruise and the reply was basically PFO.

I have never seen HAL do that.

But, the rooms are well laid out and beautiful.

DH who is pretty easy going was furious and will not sail on that line again.

We felt the same way, but we had so much fun on our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera we decided after 2 years of ignoring them to give them another chance. They just have too many cool itineraries to ignore because of one bad norovirus experience.

We felt the same way, but we had so much fun on our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera we decided after 2 years of ignoring them to give them another chance. They just have too many cool itineraries to ignore because of one bad norovirus experience.

Good for you. Hope you enjoy your cruises. It wasn't the Noro for us but what they did about it (no real cleaning or sanitation with leaving things out) and the lack of caring.

I am glad you have found some "cool" itineraries. For me, HAL has the best so far for different and unique. I've done most of O's. But the great thing is that we both enjoy the itineraries we enjoy.

Have fun and I hope we do too. We plan on it :).

• 3 weeks later...
Just to update, currently on the K’dam and fresh egg omelets are not a problem, go figure ��

That is terrific news :). Perhaps HAL heard and read about some of the complaints and made the proper adjustment to their policy.

Hank

Good news then!I do hope that they will continue to accommodate, for those that go so far as to make a special request, especially those who actually have issues with the toxic and useless additives in these processed foods. I just can not eat that stuff.

If we cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, I will have to remember that crepes might be an option!