Tax on drinks while in port on Alaskan?

Sailing Bliss in August out of Seattle. Is Seattle a port that charges tax on beverages if ordered before the ship sails far enough out? What about Alaskan ports? Anyone have info on this? Sailed Escape 2 yes ago out of Miami and waited until we were in international waters to order a drink to avoid charges on drinks. Have UBP

Yeah! Don’t dare ask questions and no comments that might in anyway be slightly negative towards ncl! Just ship up and spend your money on ncl no questions asked

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m serious, I’ve sailed various lines. I have seen small amounts of port taxes here and there...never anything earthshaking....

Sailing Bliss in August out of Seattle. Is Seattle a port that charges tax on beverages if ordered before the ship sails far enough out? What about Alaskan ports? Anyone have info on this? Sailed Escape 2 yes ago out of Miami and waited until we were in international waters to order a drink to avoid charges on drinks. Have UBP

Yes, sales tax in Washington (9%) and Alaska (7%)

This is not an NCL charge but a state or local municipality tax.....

• Like 1

Why would you wait to save a few cents? You should maximize your UBP.

Yes, sales tax in Washington (9%) and Alaska (7%)

This is not an NCL charge but a state or local municipality tax.....

Hi -- where did you get the tax rate for Alaska? We do not have a state sales tax in Alaska. Different municipalities/boroughs have incorporated sales tax - but not the state as a whole. Every municipality w/ tax is different - some include goods, but not services & may or may not include restaurant/bar services &/or liquor store purchases:

Ketchikan - 6%

Sitka - 5%

Juneau - 5%

Seward - 7%

Tax codes can be misleading. I found these tax percentages on the internet - I also found discrepancies in these rates - so they may be correct or not...

Have a GREAT Trip in visiting our amazingly beautiful state!

Rightfully So .... on THE very first 2018 new ship BLISS in Alaska ,,,

Your already Overpaying Big Time for this cruise !!!!

Oh Please, your worried about tax on a drink??

What, Nada?

Edited by ShakeDaddy

Hi -- where did you get the tax rate for Alaska? We do not have a state sales tax in Alaska. Different municipalities/boroughs have incorporated sales tax - but not the state as a whole. Every municipality w/ tax is different - some include goods, but not services & may or may not include restaurant/bar services &/or liquor store purchases:

Ketchikan - 6%

Sitka - 5%

Juneau - 5%

Seward - 7%

Tax codes can be misleading. I found these tax percentages on the internet - I also found discrepancies in these rates - so they may be correct or not...

Have a GREAT Trip in visiting our amazingly beautiful state!

as I said...... "local municipality"...... I've cruised through Alsaks and had varying % at ports ....... I took worse case scenario for Alaska which you also provided.

I do remember that the two times we've been docked in Victoria, Canada on the Alaska cruises, I went to find a beer on the ship and discovered that all the bars except one were closed, as required by Victoria according to the crew. At least one was permitted to be open.

as I said...... "local municipality"...... I've cruised through Alsaks and had varying % at ports ....... I took worse case scenario for Alaska which you also provided.

I understand :) There is no tax in the 2 boroughs we live & work in - but there is for others.

As you have the UBP, you have prepaid and therefore are not "buying" drinks for tax purposes. So order and enjoy.

As you have the UBP, you have prepaid and therefore are not "buying" drinks for tax purposes. So order and enjoy.

That’s not true. NCL basically charges your account the price of the drink and then credits your account the cost of the drink. The tax will still be charged while in certain ports.

#fakenews

The tax is charged on what the sale price would have been if you had purchased it outside of the UBP.

Never had a tax charged on a drink while in Alaskan waters or while docked in AK.

Skagway and Ketchikan were kind enough to charge me a sales tax while in port..... as I mentioned earlier, municipalities can and will levy a sales tax at their discretion.