Are Elite Perks Generous Enough?

need2cruisesoon

If you received your new catalog in the past few days as I did you’ll note that princess seems satisfied with the perks and divisions as they presently stand. I am happy since reading the whole thread I couldn’t find any better solution. So I guess things will remain as is at least for the next year or so. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what Celebrity does.

Celebrity isn't only by days sailed. It's actually by what category of cabin you book, by number of days sailed. A regular balcony cabin gets three points per night, while a suite gets upward of 20-30 points a night. So, they reward those who spend more.

Royal Caribbean is by nights sailed, no graded amounts by cabin type, etc .

I totally agree. They can wrack up a bunch of short cruises and become elite, while we pay big bucks for extended cruises!

Ah, but you have the option to take that "bunch of short cruises" also and save those "big bucks for extended cruises" also and save those "big bucks" don't you? What, you'd have to come all the way from Birmingham to a coastal port and spend big bucks on air transportation? Hmm, guess that wouldn't work, would it? Well, you could always move to some location which is much closer to one of those ports and that would save those big bucks. Hmm, then you'd have the moving expenses and the resultant "big bucks" so that wouldn't work either would it.

The point is, there are advantages of living where you live, no matter where it is. Living in Birmingham probably has advantages over living near a port city.

In the same vein, each cruise line probably has some advantages over other cruise lines. With Princess, you have 2 ways of advancing, days at sea and number of cruises. EVERY Princess cruiser has their advancement from level to level computed in both ways and they are advanced when either method says that they are qualified to advance. That person over there, this one here, you, me, we all get there as soon as they qualify in either way. How is that unfair to any of us? I happen to be a veteran, you may be one also or you may not. If you aren't because you chose not to join some branch of the military earlier in life and we both go on the same cruise, I'll get some money in OBC that you will not get. We both paid the same amount (assuming the same stateroom type) to go on the cruise so why should I get money that you don't get? Just as with the sea days versus # of cruises it is based on decisions made earlier in life. One is a decision on going military or not and the other is where to live/retire.

For that matter, we all probably could have decided years ago to work for Princess Cruise Line and enjoy cruise benefits as a cruise line retiree that outdo any non-PCL retiree cruiser! Oh, well.

One man's opinion.

Tom

"For that matter, we all probably could have decided years ago to work for Princess Cruise Line and enjoy cruise benefits as a cruise line retiree that outdo any non-PCL retiree cruiser! Oh, well."

Indeed I know one retired Captains Circle hostess who told me she gets 2 x free cruises per year and $2000 OBC each cruise.

I guess that's a fair return for working for 30 years for a cruise line.

Even as a passenger now she chooses to participate in various CC events on board and helps out as required, and gets to go on tours to count heads etc.

short cruises seem to be a west coast thing only now - at least in the US ports

Only saw one for 2019 from PE and it is a 4 day to Cozumel next May - and way overpriced...:mad:

oh, and the 3 day SKY inaugural...12/4/19:D

short cruises seem to be a west coast thing only now - at least in the US ports

Only saw one for 2019 from PE and it is a 4 day to Cozumel next May - and way overpriced...:mad:

oh, and the 3 day SKY inaugural...12/4/19:D

Princess could not sell the short east coast cruises. Carnival and RCI had that market tied up. They wound up giving away the cruises to fill the cabins.