Are Elite Perks Generous Enough?

need2cruisesoon

Funny you mention this. We could have booked our upcoming trip as 2 back to backs and been platinum but my husband was unwilling to spend the extra $200 pp for higher fare, taxes, etc. so we will end this cruise at *50* days and 4 cruises.

I negotiated with him that he was required to do a short cruise from our coastal city to make platinum because I wasn’t gonna do another 14 day without it. Compromise... but it shows you how we valued the perks differently. Honestly Ruby is no man’s land. The extra vacation protection is nice, and I guess we will see if the onboard experience changes.

Also if one “levels up” during a cruise princess is really missing an opportunity. They could make a big splash with Platinum and Elites by giving us a “welcome” packet, our new pin, new cruise card, etc. maybe a couple drink tickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny you mention this. We could have booked our upcoming trip as 2 back to backs and been platinum but my husband was unwilling to spend the extra $200 pp for higher fare, taxes, etc. so we will end this cruise at *50* days and 4 cruises.

I negotiated with him that he was required to do a short cruise from our coastal city to make platinum because I wasn’t gonna do another 14 day without it. Compromise... but it shows you how we valued the perks differently. Honestly Ruby is no man’s land. The extra vacation protection is nice, and I guess we will see if the onboard experience changes.

Also if one “levels up” during a cruise princess is really missing an opportunity. They could make a big splash with Platinum and Elites by giving us a “welcome” packet, our new pin, new cruise card, etc. maybe a couple drink tickets?

I’ve been all the colours, never found the onboard experience any different.

The only perks I think are much value are the internet, if you really need it, and the mini bar.

But we all see things differently.

Love the idea of free tokens for laundry - we were SO DANG excited about free laundry when we reached Elite but seldom use it....just prefer to do it in our own.

Not me....but I certainly would be happy to hand them off to those that want them....

DH shirts that are always sent to the dry cleaners at home, go to the laundry on the ship.

After some damage and a lost dress:loudcry: I do most of my items by hand..except anything that needs to be ironed. We typically bring enough clothing to handle the cruise. However we are embarking on a a 10 +28 day cruise....maybe I'll bring some old items and take my changes with the laundry again.

Not me....but I certainly would be happy to hand them off to those that want them....

DH shirts that are always sent to the dry cleaners at home, go to the laundry on the ship.

After some damage and a lost dress:loudcry: I do most of my items by hand..except anything that needs to be ironed. We typically bring enough clothing to handle the cruise. However we are embarking on a a 10 +28 day cruise....maybe I'll bring some old items and take my changes with the laundry again.

If you would not put something into a washer on hot, I would not send it to the laundry. It is not like the dry cleaners at home where they might select one of several different cleaning processes, you should consider the ships laundry to be one process industrial.

On a Celebrity ship one time, a water dropped a shrimp cocktail on me. The head waiter said to send my stained items to be cleaned. They did get the stains out, but a pair of khaki pants became a pair of white pants.

We don't use any of those perks nor do we use the laundry. Give me the tokens to do my own laundry, that would be a nice perk. Shoeshine my tennis shoes? Canapes - never received canapes and if we did we wouldn't eat them. We give the wine tasting invitation away, going to one was enough. A grape, a cracker, a small piece of cheese and only one drinkable wine (maybe) - big whoop! We like the alcohol package - DH likes the Dewar, and we exchange everything else for Zero Sprite. We give the 2 bottles of beer away. Even the platinum/elite Captain's party was getting unreal. We use to get nice samples of food, but now it's a jar of cheap rice crackers. Well over $150,000 spent to become elite, and all you get is a watered down cocktail and a jar of crackers. It's embarrassing. :(

Not sure if we have just been lucky and travlled on different ships but the drinks we get at the returning elite platinum captains shindig have been excellent we have a wine each and then a brandy and a whisky Sometimes we are offered another wine which is nice to take to dinner. Never interested in nibbles as we are saving ourselves for the dinner itself. I agree the wine tasting can be iffy but we have met lovely people on the tables we have had and that is fun in itself.

If DH likes the Dewar he can exchange your beers for that as we exchange all the alcohol for brandy and everything else for tonic water

Internet and prioity boarding at Platinum were the big winners for us. Now we're elite I'll take the laundry tokens and do my own thanks.

What I'd really like is some sort of loyalty discount off my future cruises or at least some worthwhile OBC.

The only perks I think are much value are the internet, if you really need it, and the mini bar.

So you were Medallion for one cruise and then Ruby for the next when it switched?:cool:

I would be willing to trade all the other perks for more free internet.

I'm all for that idea. :D

Give me a menu with my perks and an associated price for each one with so many nonredeemable dollars to spend for them.

Let me select what I think is more appropriate.

They can keep

- afternoon tea

- shoeshine

- canapes

- wine tasting

- laundry

- special lounge

Maybe they'll let me trade in all of the above for 2 unlimited coffee cards. ;);)

and I seldom use mine, even when it was unlimited years ago...DH likes his though.

Interesting.. can see this being a pretty inexpensive way to up perks..as most who pay for or use additional internet have their own devices.....

I think a mini bar trade could work....100 free minute voucher only good on that sailing. I like the idea....

Give me a menu with my perks and an associated price for each one with so many nonredeemable dollars to spend for them.

They can keep

- afternoon tea...room service just packs up a few plates, during tea time

- shoeshine...room attendant gets suck with this task

- canapes..already making these, for suite suites so whats a few 100+ more, and if you don't fill out the paper u don't get them automatically like you used too.

- wine tasting..offer for $9.50??? for all pax, throw in the elites to fill up the place, no longer give dessert wine in the keepsake shot glass.

- laundry...already have staff doing wash...lots of elites on a sailing they just have to wait

- special lounge..see below

Maybe they'll let me trade in all of the above for 2 unlimited coffee cards. ;);)

Lets look at your list and the cost to Princess, not much when it comes to labor.

special lounge......This is where I think Princess really lacks....the "snacks" fall short....and drink special pricing which was $2.99 or was it $1.99 when it started is now 6.99? haven't gone in a year or so. All drinks should receive a discount...and in comparison to hot appetizers... my favorite being bacon wrapped giant scallops and a free cocktail hour.....on a competitors cruise line, it really is sub-par.

They can keep

- afternoon tea

- shoeshine

- canapes

- wine tasting

- laundry

- special lounge

Most of what you want to swap out is of little or no value. I would not expect to get much as a trade.

We the perks that we have tried. I love the free laundry, the amount of internet minutes is fine for us, mini bar is good (most times we trade it out) and wine tasting is fun. The extra OBC for having over 20 cruises is nice. But they could give it PP instead of Per cabin.

What if they gave you POINTS instead of OBC or a fixed list of benefits. Everyone seems to have a different preference for drinks, dining, excursions, laundry, photographs, babysitting, flowers to the room...

And some where you get service instead of products -- breakfast on your balcony, reserved seats at the show, the best table in the dining room, butler service, jewelry cleaning, spa services...

I grumble that I gave up my platinum laundry service on Carnival when I started cruising Princess, which has different benefits.

What if they gave you POINTS instead of OBC or a fixed list of benefits. Everyone seems to have a different preference for drinks, dining, excursions, laundry, photographs, babysitting, flowers to the room...

And some where you get service instead of products -- breakfast on your balcony, reserved seats at the show, the best table in the dining room, butler service, jewelry cleaning, spa services...

I grumble that I gave up my platinum laundry service on Carnival when I started cruising Princess, which has different benefits.

Great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been elite for a long time and greatly appreciate the perks. We do use the laundry and over the years have had only one garment damaged it was quickly replaced. The mini bar is welcome as is the extra $100 OBC.

However, since we each have earned the perks, we believe it would be equitable for each of us to enjoy them, rather than being per cabin.

We like the perks that we have tried. I love the free laundry, the amount of internet minutes is fine for us, mini bar is good (most times we trade it out) and wine tasting is fun. The extra OBC for having over 20 cruises is nice. But they could give it PP instead of Per cabin.

I forgot to add that we also like getting the upgrade in the ins. Over all we are happy with what Princess gives us.

We have been elite for a long time and greatly appreciate the perks. We do use the laundry and over the years have had only one garment damaged it was quickly replaced. The mini bar is welcome as is the extra $100 OBC.

However, since we each have earned the perks, we believe it would be equitable for each of us to enjoy them, rather than being per cabin.

You've had better luck than most people with their laundry.

I doubt we will see any additional Elite perks, especially ones that cost Princess money. Allowing people to trade out perks they do not use for ones they will use, will cost Princess money.

I think the only way we might see any additional perks is if they add a new "super" Elite category. It would probably require at least 500 days, maybe even 1000.

What ever happened to the chocolate coated strawberereies on formal nights.

long cruiser

You have to buy them now. It was to expensive to just include them for free. ;)

I doubt we will see any additional Elite perks, especially ones that cost Princess money. Allowing people to trade out perks they do not use for ones they will use, will cost Princess money.

I think the only way we might see any additional perks is if they add a new "super" Elite category. It would probably require at least 500 days, maybe even 1000.

Now you're talking although I don't see it happening anytime soon. :cool:

Lets look at your list and the cost to Princess, not much when it comes to labor.

special lounge......This is where I think Princess really lacks....the "snacks" fall short....and drink special pricing which was $2.99 or was it $1.99 when it started is now 6.99? haven't gone in a year or so. All drinks should receive a discount...and in comparison to hot appetizers... my favorite being bacon wrapped giant scallops and a free cocktail hour.....on a competitors cruise line, it really is sub-par.

Totally agree. Have not been on princess for 2 years. This specific so called perk is not of value. JMHO. I have commented on this many times and many people think this is a great value. When you compare this to RCI or Celebrity, there is no comparison.

Happy CRUISING!