Are Elite Perks Generous Enough?

need2cruisesoon

I just did this and have received my Hilton Amex and Diamond status. However the Diamond status that comes from the Amex is only good for 2 years not lifetime, and most hotel promos like this require you to book a lot of stays to maintain your status. You may be right that Princess may do something like this but if so hopefully it's an offer of status for a fixed amount of time, not lifetime.

Totally agree with this. We don't even get a beverage package. I just qualified for Elite but also I took my first Princess cruise in 2005, so it took me 13 years to get there, lol.

junglejane, what does Hilton require on that Amex card after the 2 years? I am thinking of getting that card and wasn't aware there was a time limit on the perk! :confused:

The perks are fine. As Elite, I don't need any other "special" treatment. I believe the general Princess cruise experience is declining, especially in the areas of food and entertainment. I book on Princess because I liked Princess for what it was. I wish they'd stop trying to be all things to all people...right now the cruise line is going through an identity crisis and I don't like it. The old Princess appeals to a certain demographic, so no need to copy NCL, RCCL, or even Celebrity. Repeat passenger rate speaks volumes.

The perks are fine. As Elite, I don't need any other "special" treatment. I believe the general Princess cruise experience is declining, especially in the areas of food and entertainment. I book on Princess because I liked Princess for what it was. I wish they'd stop trying to be all things to all people...right now the cruise line is going through an identity crisis and I don't like it. The old Princess appeals to a certain demographic, so no need to copy NCL, RCCL, or even Celebrity. Repeat passenger rate speaks volumes.

Sure, but as the older generation slowly fades away where will Princess be a few years down the road? Like it or not, it's either incorporate those changes now & hope the existing demographic doesn't get to upset with them.

Considering they don’t have to give you anything, I’d say they are generous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But would you return time after time if all the perks were discontinued and the price were on par with all the other cruise lines? :confused:

So many 'perks' not appreciated by everyone. ..we are all different. Shoe shine does not appeal, afternoon tea not exciting me, others do not want laundry, some switch off from Internet...so here's a wildcard thought !

What about a price reduction for each level .? Above what some agents seem to be able to offer. (Why can't I find them?)

Maybe 1% for Gold, 2% for Ruby, 3% for Platinum, 4%Elite and 5% for imaginary new tier Super Elite ???

I agree with those who suggest tiers should be based on nights onboard and not number of cruises( 2 or 3 night cruises give such an unfair advantage to those lucky enough to be able to do them)

I agree with all of this. Good thinking!

junglejane, what does Hilton require on that Amex card after the 2 years? I am thinking of getting that card and wasn't aware there was a time limit on the perk! :confused:

I was wrong--the Hilton Diamond status lasts as long as you have the card, which is a great value if you use the benefits. The $450 annual fee sounds steep, but you can buy $250 in airline gift cards with the annual airline credit, which brings the net annual fee down to $200. For that, you get Diamond status (upgrades, lounge access, bonus points), a $250 credit every year at any Hilton resort, a free weekend night every year at any Hilton, and access to Priority Pass airport lounges. The card is not great for non-Hilton spending, but it's easy to turn a "profit" on having the card.

My biggest issue with the Captain Circle Program is that it is based on Sea Days and Cruise Credits. It should be based on Sea Days Only. It is not fair to reach Elite status by doing a bunch of short cruises. Just saying...

It wouldn't be fair for someone paying $198 in an inside cabin to earn the same credit if things were only sea days VS someone paying $1500 for a full suite.

so, should it be based on $$$ spent? - if so, include EVERY SINGLE $$$, spent including fare, grats, port taxes, excursions, drinks, shop purchase..ALL..:rolleyes:

HAL is doing something related to dollars spent but I don't know the details. Celebrity awards nights which is the same as sea days based on category so insides get far fewer then suites so it's proportionate to what you paid.

I think Princess is behind the other lines in their reward program. I believe they need a higher tier at 50 cruise credits which is significantly higher then the elite tier at 15 credits.

I was wrong--the Hilton Diamond status lasts as long as you have the card, which is a great value if you use the benefits. The $450 annual fee sounds steep, but you can buy $250 in airline gift cards with the annual airline credit, which brings the net annual fee down to $200. For that, you get Diamond status (upgrades, lounge access, bonus points), a $250 credit every year at any Hilton resort, a free weekend night every year at any Hilton, and access to Priority Pass airport lounges. The card is not great for non-Hilton spending, but it's easy to turn a "profit" on having the card.

Whew. Thanks [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL is doing something related to dollars spent but I don't know the details. Celebrity awards nights which is the same as sea days based on category so insides get far fewer then suites so it's proportionate to what you paid.

I think Princess is behind the other lines in their reward program. I believe they need a higher tier at 50 cruise credits which is significantly higher then the elite tier at 15 credits.

Wouldn't it be nice. :D

I'm Ruby now but reading all the included's for Elite yet somehow not "wowed" by the perks.

My advice, get rid of the following:

- afternoon tea

- shoeshine

- canapes

- wine tasting

I mean do you really use these or get excited about shoe shine?

And replace with a complimentary (alcohol or non) beverage package or free excursions.

Now you've got something!

I couldn't agree more. A bottle of wine exchange would be great!

I have long felt that a limit on laundry is the way to go. Give each Elite a limit of the number of items that can be cleaned each week. Make the limit reasonable, but low enough to reduce the family and friends abused.

Amen to that.

Give people an allowance to use & they wouldn't be sending in 3 bags each day when they realized what Princess charges.;)

Amen to that.

Give people an allowance to use & they wouldn't be sending in 3 bags each day when they realized what Princess charges.;)

You do see what princess charges on your OBA...there is a debt and a credit......

If you had a price allowance......people will demand that their dress shirt is a t-shirt or mens shorts should be viewed as underwear.....Get real......

I've cruise to many years and seen people become more and more demanding ....and perks be diminished more than added....

The laundry perk is the best - I have never had it take more than 2 days to get my laundry back even when they told us it might take longer due to all the elites (an example of under promising and over delivering). We send out 2 bags every 2-3 days on 3 week cruises - only need to pack for about 10 days of clothes that way. If you think you are going to do all your laundry in those dinky laundry rooms then you are going to spend a good deal of your cruise in the laundry room. If you leave while the washer is going then if it finishes before you return there is a good chance it will be dumped on a chair

I've never heard of anyone receiving one of each item. No, a Mini Bar setup consists of two of each of the following:

Courvoisier VS

Beefeater Gin

Skyy Vodka

Dewar's Scotch Whisky

Dos Equis Beer

Coke

Sprite

Tonic Water

Perrier

Bottled Water

This is regardless of how many or the ages of those occupying a cabin. The only exception is when a suite is occupied by elite level cruisers, in which case they would receive two Mini Bar setups.

I wish we could exchange the

Courvoisier VS &

Dewar's Scotch Whisky for Bourbon and Rum. Hopefully, on our next cruise they will have some in stock. Seems like the bar selections are not with the times. Just me:)

I wish we could exchange the

Courvoisier VS &

Dewar's Scotch Whisky for Bourbon and Rum. Hopefully, on our next cruise they will have some in stock. Seems like the bar selections are not with the times. Just me:)

We have always gotten Canadian whisky instead of Scotch - trade everything alcoholic into vodka

The $450 annual fee sounds steep, but you can buy $250 in airline gift cards with the annual airline credit, which brings the net annual fee down to $200. a $250 credit every year at any Hilton resort,

The HH Amex Aspire airline gift card purchase is not allowed with most airlines for this card and the $250 resort credit is limited to a specific brand of Hilton which is limited in scope and they usually are their much more expensive resorts. Still a great card though if you are a HHonors member and stay at Hilton brands regularly.

Edited by PrincessLuver

Some people really do use and appreciate those perks. I’m fine with the current Elite perks. Would I like more? Sure! Not only do I get the perks but I get the Loyalty OBC as well. That extra $100 on every cruise regardless of length is nice.

I exchange the mini-bar set-up for either two coffee cards or all diet sodas so I can live without a beverage package. I rarely drink alcohol so the all-inclusive would be a useless perk. I’d rather have the OBC.

If Princess adds another Captain’s Circle level above Elite, it’ll be something that doesn’t cost them a lot of $. I’d love dinner in a specialty restaurant as an added perk, for instance, but when you’re sailing with close to 1,000 Elite on a cruise, that would be impossible to implement.

Agree totally......the perks are very nice and glad we have them. We find the generous OBC's that Princess gives and the way they allow them to be used to be much more desirable to us then the Elite status benefits....but we like them all!!:)

My biggest issue with the Captain Circle Program is that it is based on Sea Days and Cruise Credits. It should be based on Sea Days Only. It is not fair to reach Elite status by doing a bunch of short cruises. Just saying...

I totally agree. They can wrack up a bunch of short cruises and become elite, while we pay big bucks for extended cruises!