How do HAL cruisers feel about the Explorations Café Presented by the New York Times?

whogo

That being said, I wonder how many people who are saying 'so what', would be saying the same if HAL had specific ties and programs linked to, Trump, for example.

Just sayin'.....

My guess is that Seattle would hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth across the country!!!

The New York Times and the library and Explorations Cafe are probably the leading attraction to HAL for me. But being a Washingtonian, I am a news junkie! (Add the great staff as a huge plus on HAL ships). Anyway, the napkins,if they say something about NYT, IS BASICALLY PRODUCT PLACEMENT. I hope that fee they pay reduces my fare (or increases my Carnival stock value..ha.)

I just noticed today, have I been sleeping?, that there are ad inserts here on cruisecritic. I HATE THAT ON ANY WEBSITE, but I guess that pays the bills.

I find Oprah harmless but give her credit for changing perceptions over the years. But that is hardly a cruise topic, is it?

Thanks for the comments.

I am not a fan of product placement, hope Holland America never has a La Fontaine Dining Room, Brought to You by Tyson Foods, Producer and Market of Beef, Chicken, and Pork Products Worldwide.

The New York Times tie in does not bother me, but I never met a newspaper, conservative or liberal, that I did not like. They all print editorials that I don't agree with. Know your enemy and yourself...

I am just glad I can get some printed news for no extra charge on Holland America, I sure do not want to burn up expensive internet minutes checking my usual news websites.

I am opposed to having Oprah aligned with HAL. Not because I don't like her politics and not because her books have a social agenda I don't agree with but simply because she is causing the price of my cruise ticket to increase and I get nothing out of it. Folks, she don't appear for free and she does not let someone use her name for free. She is getting big bucks from HAL and you and I are footing the bill, like it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How so? The NYT isn't allowing HAL to publish its newspaper and crossword onboard for free. Elemis doesn't provide products for free. Oprah isn't on every cruise, and I assume those who sail on an Oprah cruise pay a premium to do so.

Roz

How so? The NYT isn't allowing HAL to publish its newspaper and crossword onboard for free. Elemis doesn't provide products for free. Oprah isn't on every cruise, and I assume those who sail on an Oprah cruise pay a premium to do so.

Roz

The Oprah branding program allows HAL to coat-tail Oprah's name recognition, in lieu of other forms of more independent cruise line marketing. And in the process alienate a potential customer base at the same time too. Think New Coke.

So some operational costs are saved trying to tie Oprah's customer base into marketing for HAL. But will this turn out to make up for what the Oprah branding franchise costs HAL? Unfortunately the 2018 Annual consolidated report will not disclose this to HAL shareholders. Product placement was a key element in the 2017 Annual CCL report - such as the CCL episode of Celebrity Apprentice.

How about neither one is offensive or even noteworthy? How about who cares? Do people really spend their entire lives being "offended" by one brand or business or person, depending on the "crise du jour" (crisis of the day)? How exhausting.

totally agree with your points

I've cruised HAL for years. This is nothing new. It's been presented by the NYT for years. I did notice they no longer carry CNN coverage. Am I offended? No.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Please don't tell me that they are only covering Fox News!

Please don't tell me that they are only covering Fox News!

Fox and MSNBC, which I guess is supposed to be a sort of balanced coverage.

This winter we did read the little newspaper but did not watch TV news. Both of those channels get me riled up (but for different reasons).

I really wish folks would leave their not so thinly veiled political views for the numerous other outlets where they are encouraged.

It could be political views or simply that people want, and should have, balanced news outlets aboard ship. If only one news outlet was left, there would be no balance. Fortunately, that does not appear to be the case.

It could be political views or simply that people want, and should have, balanced news outlets aboard ship. If only one news outlet was left, there would be no balance. Fortunately, that does not appear to be the case.

Well, with the two options they offer, there is NO balance. You can watch both offerings and then turn on the BBC for something closer to the truth.

Okay, I'll bite.

My short answer? I could care less.

Are people really "offended" by Oprah? I've never particularly cared for her, but I would never go as far to say that she "offends" me.

And isn't Oprah's main message one of "love" and "inclusion"? I've never been a fan of softy sentimental messaging, but again, I can't say I take "offense" to it. And because she's liberal minded, a Democrat, whatever, is that enough reason to be offended by someone?

C'mon, people, aren't we being a little too sensitive?

More offensive than the Oprah tie in?

Equally as offensive as the Oprah tie in?

Less offensive than the Oprah tie in?

This question reminds me of the old joke about the lawyer asking, “Yes or no answer only, have you stopped beating your wife yet?”

Book another line if you don’t like HAL.