How do HAL cruisers feel about the Explorations Café Presented by the New York Times?

whogo

One of the reasons we like HAL is the NYT daily news sheet that includes various editions - U.S., Canadian, Australian, British

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We enjoyed reading each English language paper each day.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

And isn't Oprah's main message one of "love" and "inclusion"? I've never been a fan of softy sentimental messaging, but again, I can't say I take "offense" to it. And because she's liberal minded, a Democrat, whatever, is that enough reason to be offended by someone?

"Inclusion" is a word designed to hide its proponents' actual focus; just read up on the nonsense occurring at least weekly on college campuses.

I can appreciate that Oprah has her followers. I am not one of them and would prefer no brand tie-ins on cruise ships, although many lines have them.

just read up on the nonsense occurring at least weekly on college campuses.

Having attended college in the early 70s, I don't think there's any more or any less "nonsense" occurring on campus, however you define nonsense.

It's interesting to me that no one seems to get their underwear in a twist over something like Guy Fieri's brand tie with Carnival, which is definitely a money maker for both Guy and Carnival. Yet a CD leading a book discussion on HAL is cause for jumping off a building or abandoning ship. ;p

Roz

More offensive than the Oprah tie in?

Equally as offensive as the Oprah tie in?

Less offensive than the Oprah tie in?

The NYT tie-in has been around for many years, so I'm used to it and don't find it objectionable at all. However, Ms Winfrey is a different story. The less celebrity branding onboard, the better. And it doesn't matter to me who it is.

Having attended college in the early 70s, I don't think there's any more or any less "nonsense" occurring on campus, however you define nonsense.

It's interesting to me that no one seems to get their underwear in a twist over something like Guy Fieri's brand tie with Carnival, which is definitely a money maker for both Guy and Carnival. Yet a CD leading a book discussion on HAL is cause for jumping off a building or abandoning ship.

I didn't say there's more nonsense--but today's nonsense is often "inclusion"-related.

And I mentioned other lines' tie-ins, but this being the HAL board, the Oprah thing is top of mind. But for the record, I can do without Guy Fieri (apparently on Carnival) and Curtis Stone and Norman Love on Princess. And whatever else is out there.

The TV news stations presently offered are CNBC, MSNBC, FOX News and BBC. However the BBC channel has changed since my last cruise in Nov 2017. Now, at least on the Rotterdam last week, the BBC channel has been "Americanized". The service is not the BBC America that we get on our cable systems that carries Star Trek most of the day. This is all news, BBC World News America, complete with loads of commercials every few minutes. The news stories are typical American news media. It's definitely not the usual BBC World Service that is available in most European hotels.

The TV news stations presently offered are CNBC, MSNBC, FOX News and BBC. However the BBC channel has changed since my last cruise in Nov 2017. Now, at least on the Rotterdam last week, the BBC channel has been "Americanized". The service is not the BBC America that we get on our cable systems that carries Star Trek most of the day. This is all news, BBC World News America, complete with loads of commercials every few minutes. The news stories are typical American news media. It's definitely not the usual BBC World Service that is available in most European hotels.

That's interesting. On my Zuiderdam cruise in January, it was most definitely the BBC World News originating from the UK, with the UK schedule. When I woke up in the morning, the news that was on was the BBC afternoon news recap and all the commercials for upcoming programming were definitely on UK time.

It's interesting to me that no one seems to get their underwear in a twist over something like Guy Fieri's brand tie with Carnival, which is definitely a money maker for both Guy and Carnival. Yet a CD leading a book discussion on HAL is cause for jumping off a building or abandoning ship. ;p

Roz

Give me the Dive In over Guy Fieri's burgers.I think I read somewhere that they don't cook the Guy's burgers to order. Mmmm,heat lamp burgers..NOT.

Give me the Dive In over Guy Fieri's burgers.I think I read somewhere that they don't cook the Guy's burgers to order. Mmmm,heat lamp burgers..NOT.

My opinion after dining of Guy's Burgers on Carnival Liberty was: why did I bother standing in line for a burger when a Big Mac at McDonald's is superior? Dive-in is a winner for HAL and I do believe that Seattle realizes this. And the Dive-in French Fries are great and probably very heart unhealthy.

My opinion after dining of Guy's Burgers on Carnival Liberty was: why did I bother standing in line for a burger when a Big Mac at McDonald's is superior? Dive-in is a winner for HAL and I do believe that Seattle realizes this. And the Dive-in French Fries are great and probably very heart unhealthy.

I have never had a Guy Fieri burger and now that his Times Square restaurant has closed its doors for good, I probably never will. But I wouldn't pass up a Dive In burger and fries to try Guy's burgers anyway!

But for the record, I can do without Guy Fieri (apparently on Carnival) and Curtis Stone and Norman Love on Princess. And whatever else is out there.

Guy Fieri and Curtis Stone I agree with. But we thought the Norman Love 'featured' desserts on Princess were some of the best we had on the entire cruise.

Is he really a celebrity though? I'll admit I had never heard of him before our 2017 Princess New Years cruise.

Guy Fieri and Curtis Stone I agree with. But we thought the Norman Love 'featured' desserts on Princess were some of the best we had on the entire cruise.

Is he really a celebrity though? I'll admit I had never heard of him before our 2017 Princess New Years cruise.

Who?