Maasdam: what hidden amenities to request?

esgwat

I'm not sure if this is still available, but there may be a small silver-wire basket in your cabin with a menu of available fresh fruit that you can request for in-cabin enjoyment.

While not hidden, we had this on our Zuiderdam cruise in Jan. 18.

Thanks! Good to know it is still offered. I mentioned it because couple of times, we haven't thought to look for it until well into the cruise. :)

As on the last two cruises we enjoyed on HAL ships the requested fruit we got in our cabin were rock-hard (pears and once, peaches) and the bananas were spotty we were happy to eat the pears toward the end of those cruises. Quite often the fruit in the Lido Café were of better quality and variety.

Thank you everyone that replied. I asked because my husband and I are not "high maintenance" cruisers, but we would like to take advantage of all amenities offered. Also, this is the first cruise where we have to fly to the port, so I'm trying to narrow down our packing list. Getting excited!;p

Yes! Thank you, it's such a rare treat to read a newspaper these days.

it is not really a regular newspaper - it is a four page "Times Digest" - one page devoted to sports. There are additional newsletter for various other countries or language groups too.

Again an amenity available to all passengers in the past, but less frequently now are the complimentary hand made chocolates on a tiered tray tucked in the Explorers Lounge during the evening Adagio concerts. And free popcorn in the movie theater - you can pick up a bag even if you are not going to the movie - they are usually available on a tray near the entrance before the start of each movie.

A bargain treat before dinner, again available to all, is the $4 glass of wine with special appetizers at the Wine Center, often opposite the movie theater, available in the pre-dinner hours per the daily schedule. The afternoon teas at 3pm are nice too - open to all passengers.

it is not really a regular newspaper - it is a four page "Times Digest" - one page devoted to sports. There are additional newsletter for various other countries or language groups to.

I really enjoyed that on our one past HAL cruise (Greek Isles on the Noordam). Although my DW wanted to see no news, I liked the sports scores (even though they were a few days old) plus I liked doing the crossword puzzle.

We will be on the Maasdam this summer. Do they still deliver that?

We will be on the Maasdam this summer. Do they still deliver that?

The Times Digest is not normally delivered to every cabin anymore, but supplies of them are placed in various places around the ship.

The Front Desk has them, as does the dining room, Lido, and the libraries (at least on the ships that still have a library.)

Where are the afternoon teas? And I am really hoping there is still a library! We are staying on the ship when it docks at Sydney.

Edited by esgwat
add info

Where are the afternoon teas? And I am really hoping there is still a library! We are staying on the ship when it docks at Sydney.

For as long as I can remember, the afternoon teas have been held in the dining room. There have been reports that at least on some ships, sometimes, they are held in the Ocean Bar. Check your daily program for the location on your cruise.

The Maasdam is expected to retain its library when the larger ships lose theirs.

Just an FYI, as egg crate mattress pads are listed above..I requested one on the Maasdam and was told they no longer carry them because the have replaced all the mattresses.

You are right. I requested the egg crate mattress on both the Eurodam and Westerdam and they were gone.

Neither of us liked the new mattresses -- they are way too low to the floor. I have both knee and back problems and had a very hard time getting out of bed.

Tea is at 3pm and on the Maasdam, it will most likely be in the main dining room. On the Nieuw Amsterdam it was served in the Atrium and Pinnacle Bar area - and a fixed choice tier of treats were served to each table, instead of the wandering waiters with various sweet or savory options that have been more typical in the past.

No one yet has reported they have taken the library out of the Maasdam and on our last cruise on her in Sept 2017 I found an excellent selection of books. However, since the Maasdam will be converted into this new "InDepth" program starting Sept this year, (more local enrichment options) ship, it will be interesting to see what changes they may also make to the library space.

More of a "curated" collection for the locations visited on the InDepth cruises? Or will it be the basically general readership collections - fiction, non-fiction -- that have been standard on HAL ships in the past, before they started down-grading the onboard library experience. I will soon be finding out as we take the first InDept Maasdam cruise this Sept - Fort Lauderdale to Tahiti.

We just disembarked the Maasdam on Sunday. We were on the 14 night return to San Diego from Lima, Peru. It was our first time sailing this ship and very much enjoyed our cruise. Although it is smaller from our experience we never had problems finding chairs at the Lido for breakfast nor lounge stairs by the pools. We had very warm weather and enjoyed the back pool . There is a smoking area near the back pool but oftentimes no one was smoking. The entertainment was better than on other trips. Andrew the piano player had good crowds and would have music trivia. The 5pm sip and savor cost $5 for a glass of wine paired with an appetizer. On this cruise, not only was there a cellar master dinner but a wine lunch. The wine lunch cost about $30 and included wine per course. It was a surf and turf menu. There are a few lounge chairs on deck nine just below the back pool that are always open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk